Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
Klacasse OP
BRP Junkie

Oddometer: 18
klim vs firstgear

hi everyone
I just have a quick question. I'm looking to get a new jacket and i cant decide between the Klim overland, and the Firstgear kathmandu. The Firstgear has a liner and is $100 cheaper. The Klim, well its a Klim. I live on northern vancouver island so i ride in the rain alot, waterproofing is a must!

what do you think about the two??

thanks
kris
Klacasse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klacasse View Post
hi everyone
I just have a quick question. I'm looking to get a new jacket and i cant decide between the Klim overland, and the Firstgear kathmandu. The Firstgear has a liner and is $100 cheaper. The Klim, well its a Klim. I live on northern vancouver island so i ride in the rain alot, waterproofing is a must!

what do you think about the two??

thanks
kris
If it must be waterproof then Klim no questions asked. The extra money will pay for itself in the years to come. Gortex imop is the only way to truly have waterproof gear all day long day after day. The Overland is a nice jacket too. The Latitude is a little more street oriented and a little bit thicker, but its pricier than the overland.

I've owned lots name brand gear that "claimed" to be waterproof and at first maybe it was, but give it some time and eventually you get soaked in it. I got so tired of all the "cheaper" gear I went through that we finally broke down and bought the Klim gear and we couldn't be happier.

I'm sure the katmundu is a nice jacket and my buddy wears one, but after owning the Klim Latitude Jacket / Klim Traverse Pants myself, I'm sold on it.
At first my wife was sticking her nose up to my Klim gear, but now she owns the Klim traverse jacket & latitude pants and recently we just got her the Klim Badlands Pro jacket as we found a heck of a deal on one that fit her. I'm jealous as I really want the Badlands Pro myself.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Rev'it Poseidon GTX Poseidon Gortex

I just bought one love the way it looks, I've heard they work great on around the world trips. Check it out, maybe you have, maybe you didn't list it as one of your choices for a reason. I like the way mine fits.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
ViperJustin
Aerial Gunner

Oddometer: 556
I looked at the Klim Latitude jacket and pants as well as the FG Kathmandu. I ended up buying the Klim and I live it. It doesn't parachute out like my old jacket (some "high quality" brand from cycle gear). And it's about 98% waterproof. I get a tiny little bit in the front and center of the jacket. But nothing I'm worried about. The pants are as dry as it gets.

My vote is for Klim.
08 MegaMoto #99529
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:49 AM   #5
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
I have the Badlands Pro and the Rainier. I've put more miles on the Rainier and it did great in the rain and was very comfy. That said, since I bought the Badlands the Rainier hasn't left the closet. Klim makes a really nice piece of kit and Goretex is hard to top. IMO bite the bullet, drop the coin, and don't look back.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:22 AM   #6
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
I have three firstgear jackets. One that I use most often is oneor two year old Kathmandu, a few year old teton. And a mesh jacket. The first two have been 100% waterproof for me. Heck even the mesh jacket does pretty good unless it's pouring. Some people complain about their zippers but I've never had a problem with them. FG is great value for my money.
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,588
I have the First Gear Kilimanjaro. I love it. Very durable. I had a fall three years ago at the apex of turn doing 50MPH. I slid a long way, perhaps 200' before stopping. The jacket was scuffed but not torn or worn through. Excellent protection. I ended up dislocating my shoulder but it was because of the way I fell, not the fault of the jacket.

Yes, the accident was from going to fast...so now ya know.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #8
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,458
+1 Klim.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't.
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #9
Klacasse OP
BRP Junkie

Oddometer: 18
ordered the overland this morning!! hope its worth the extra money
Klacasse is online now   Reply With Quote