User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #1
sonarman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Skully headsup diplay helmet

Does anyone know someone who has tried one of these?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/skully-ar-1-the-world-s-smartest-motorcycle-helmet
Old 09-16-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
De Trommelslager
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
It's a very cool concept, but at the >$1000 price point, I'm betting they'll be few and far between. I'd be more inclined to try one if they were sub-grand in price. I'm also curious as to how well it would hold up in the environments that we go.

Personally I don't mind spending good money on protective gear and do, but at the same point I view the gear as a consumable item. When an item starts climbing in the multiple-hundreds, I'm really accessing the need as one get off can render it finished and each feature could be a point of failure.

My $.02 worth.

Money doesn't make the world go around; but it darn sure makes it more fun!
De Trommelslager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
orgo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
I want one
orgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:17 PM   #4
Random-Water
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Uh, this helmet is specific to GS-Boxers how?
Random-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:01 AM   #5
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
i like the innovation. i like that they are trying. (i have been following their progress for a while now)

i dont like that technology moves too fast.
i dont like ... what happens when my kid knocks it off the counter trying to get to his Thomas The Train toy..

what it DOES do is open up the market a bit and kick other manufacturers in the head... to wake them up and start thinking outside the box (or helmet) a little more.

i am also willing to pay a bit for good protection. but most of my gear is second hand.

(edit: a big turn off is that guy's hair do. if he had helmet-head... i'd be more inclined. but for someone taking preorders with designer lookin eyeglasses, suave hairdo and a starched-groomed look.... um.. no.)
'07 GZ250 (wife)

b1pig screwed with this post 09-17-2014 at 03:12 AM
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:23 AM   #6
Otherworld
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Skully will unlikely be the future. I will wait for the established players to release their HUD versions.
Otherworld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherworld View Post
Skully will unlikely be the future. I will wait for the established players to release their HUD versions.
You might be waiting for a LONG time !
A lot of "established" players in industry lost their position because of missed or wrongly anticipated opportunities in the market. The photo-camera market jumps to mind.
I was visiting my young friend last night when I asked if I could borrow a newspaper. “This is the 21st century, old man,” he said. “We don’t waste money on newspapers. Here, you can borrow my iPad.” I can tell you, that fly never knew what hit it...
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:09 AM   #8
Random-Water
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyred View Post
A lot of "established" players in industry lost their position because of missed or wrongly anticipated opportunities in the market. The photo-camera market jumps to mind.
So true, no one shoots Hasselblad, Leica, Canon, Nikon, or Olympus anymore.

No way, no how do I want that crap in/on my helmet.
#1 it's going to weigh more, and my head is big/heavy enough as it is.
#2 Garmin/Magellan are already f-ing bad with GPS software/features and map updates. You REALLY think this company that's trying to build a swiss army knife in a helmet with less than 3 years of R&D is going to get it right the first time? Really?
#3. When the GPS/Camera breaks, you've got to send your helmet in for service, now what do you wear?
#4 Battery life. I do long rides. 16-18 hours. I don't want to have to plug in my helmet to charge it while riding.

It's a nice concept. But they need to simply come up with a Helmet with a HUD, that uses something like blue-tooth technology to communicate with the GPS to display maps, Speed/RPM/Fuel from the motorcycle ecu, and Current/Next MP3 playing, plus the Rear-View. You could customise display to where you wanted things and how large/small they are. Oh, that sounds too distracting? Ya think? We're not Iron man, we're Motorcyclists.

Just ride and leave the gadgets to movies.
Random-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:00 AM   #9
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random-Water View Post
So true, no one shoots Hasselblad, Leica, Canon, Nikon, or Olympus anymore.
No. Nobody.
Stupid remark Random-Water, I never said that. Don't make up your own quotes and respond to them using my name please. You'd better start learning how to read.
Looks to me, you already HAVE a lot of crap in your helmet as it is.
I was visiting my young friend last night when I asked if I could borrow a newspaper. “This is the 21st century, old man,” he said. “We don’t waste money on newspapers. Here, you can borrow my iPad.” I can tell you, that fly never knew what hit it...
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:04 PM   #10
AllBlak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Hud

There are a couple of other options:
A company came out with a HUD ski goggle several years ago. I thought it would be cool for motocross, although I was a street biker at the time.
That technology has expanded to sunglasses for triathlon cycling offering speed, cadence etc. It seems like the goggles or glasses would be a better bet,
Or an add in module....
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to slide across the finish line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, and shouting GERONIMO!!!"
AllBlak is offline   Reply With Quote