Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #211
HardWorkingDog OP
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgee View Post
I'm still hanging on and enjoying...
Nice! As the trip nears its completion it's hard to avoid feeling rushed...the pull of home is starting to call, whether 6 days or 6 weeks. But there's still some discoveries ahead.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #212
HardWorkingDog OP
Harvey Mushman

Day 34, 2/2/13
Bahia Concepcion to Rancho Piedra Blanca

That evening we sat on the sand as the sun went down and were treated to an LED light show...the snowbirds along our
stretch of the Bahia enjoyed creating light sculptures with twinkle lights strung along the fronts of their camps.

We fell asleep to the gentle sound of the Sea of Cortez lapping near our feet.

That morning I woke with the dawn, my tent glowing orange. Almost every day in Baja begins with a
great sunrise, but I think this was the queen of all sunrises, at least for our trip.

Just spectacular.

Today's goal was to get some miles in--we wanted to get back to our friends at Surf Camp and spend
a few more days with them before our trip ended--and we still had a long way to go. The destination I'd
planned was Rancho Piedra Blanca, another place I'd read about here and at bajabound.

We weren't expecting to really find anything there; at this point of our journey we'd found that the best
places were found, not planned and so as we rolled out of Bahia Concepcion we knew that we had
a few options if Piedra Blanca didn't pan out.

We followed Mex 1 north through Mulege--that name is just plain fun to say: Moo La HEY--and along
the coast to Santa Rosalia where it turns west towards San Ignacio. The road is very enjoyable as it
sweeps past the volcanoes and up and over the backbone of the peninsula.

We pulled into San Ignacio, filled up at the Pemex and once again stocked up at the tienda there.
It was Saturday afternoon and the market was the place to be, full of people, busy in a good way.

We slogged on northwest along 1, painfully aware of the saddle as the road became straighter,
bulling its way through the central plain and eventually we found ourselves in Vizcaino where we
filled up our tanks again. We'd made good uneventful progress, now we could indulge ourselves.

Just beyond Vizcaino a dirt road angles off of Mex 1 towards Punta San Francisquito and
Bahia de Los Angeles, we were ready to get off the asphalt and ride some good ol' dirt.

A fun ride, not too difficult to navigate although there were several intersections and mazes. We'd
become used to finding branching roads that eventually all come back together, usually the branch
has been created to get around some obstacle or another. A good mix of sand, rocks, washboard and
dust. We were having a great time.

When planning this trip I'd spent a fair amount of time trying to locate the Rancho. It wasn't easy, as the
people who I found who'd been there hadn't marked its location carefully, so I'd placed a waypoint as
a guess based on things like "yeah, it's about where that creek on the map crosses the road, right where
it reads '21.2'..." We were about a 1/2 mile from my waypoint when we see a weatherbeaten sign for
Rancho Piedra Blanca, round a small spur and there it is.

We ride up amongst people on horseback, small girls hiding behind fenceposts, dogs running and
barking------not sure if this is the right place. Is this Rancho Piedra Blanca? Can we camp here?

Si, Si!!

It is one of the best memories of the trip. And one of the reasons I wish I could have spoken better
Spanish. As near as I can tell it is a family-run ranch, with cattle, horses, herding dogs, the works.
They've built a few casitas on the upper edge of their homestead along with a very nice bathhouse
and separate toilet building. There's a big palapa with chairs and a table, a barbecue, places to camp
and a HUGE dining room.

The owners are very friendly, curious and it would have been so much more enjoyable to be able
to converse with them, but all we could do is stumble along in our poor Spanish, use some sign language,
and lots of laughter.

They prepared us a delicious meal of carne asada burritos, and when we'd plowed through one plate
fixed another until we were stuffed.

There were some good-looking rock formations nearby so my son took his bouldering shoes and went
off in search of some climbing

while I sat in the lawn chair

and watched a young man practice his roping skills on a calf, helped by a dog or two.

One of the men had made sure to light the water heater as soon as we arrived and we took advantage,
I think we turned it into a sauna, but we simply couldn't help it.

The perfect Baja day.

HardWorkingDog screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 01:02 PM Reason: andandandand
Old 03-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #213
Tim H
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post

Hey Tim H------is this Tim H as in rmd Tim H, Idaho Spodefest Tim H???

I'm.......honored that a mere 5 years after joining, MY report was the cause of your first post.

I won't let you down.
Yep, that's me.
I followed Deeney over here, then Tami passed through briefly on her way to CafeHusky, but it's kind of like driving past a car wreck: you just have to look. I've bitten off many, many replies over the years, but folks around here eat their young if they dare speak against the adv line, so I've kept it to myself (that is a personal record, by the way).
Loving the report, envying the trip. Looking forward to the rest, too.
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #214
HardWorkingDog OP
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H View Post
Yep, that's me...Loving the report, envying the trip. Looking forward to the rest, too.
Well, cool! Say hi to the rest of the clan. That reminds me, I need to fire up my newsreader and see if it'll still jiggle bits--kinda rusty

I think WoodsChick is still kinda miffed though.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #215
Tim H
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Well, cool! Say hi to the rest of the clan. That reminds me, I need to fire up my newsreader and see if it'll still jiggle bits--kinda rusty

I think WoodsChick is still kinda miffed though.

"Hi's" will be delivered. Not much to be seen at rmd even if your newsreader blows out the cobwebs and works perfectly. They seem to have really managed to kill rmd off this time.
I think Tami will get over it. I can always distract her by bringing up her telescope, or talking about riding out of the Sawtooths (Sawteeth?) with her on her hose-clamped-together Pampera, or following her out of Gifford Pinchot with her tweaked knee, or helping her out when she beat the hell out of herself at Butterfly Lake up by Stanley, or, well you get the picture. Plus, I've even replied to her reports on Cafe Husky without regard to my personal safety in posting to a Husky site while riding a GasGas. Hell, I even attended a CafeHusky ride at China Hat without a single Husky. Hopefully we'll be all right.
Tami? Still love you , lady. You know that.

Tim H
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #216
Butcho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
All caught up agian.

Great job on the report. Got our sleeping bag liners and tried them out on the living room floor, {still winter here} They are super cool. Thanks Again!
Butcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #217
HardWorkingDog OP
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcho View Post
...Got our sleeping bag liners and tried them out on the living room floor, {still winter here} They are super cool. Thanks Again!
Nice! I'm sure it seems like they're too thin to do much at all, but believe in the thermolite! It takes some time to figure
out how to pull it up around your head while inside the bag, but once you get the inch-worm-boogie down you're golden.

Forgive me, loyal readers (sheesh that sounds lame of me )--------going to be
another delay, probably won't have another installment for a week or so while we take family
to tour Death Valley.

There's a week left, 1200 miles or so to get home. It's been an amazing trip so far..........

Old 03-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #218
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,159
North from SJ de Comondu

HWD, I can relate to that road northeast from San Jose de Comondu. I took it back around 1990 in a Baja bug. Back then the road was well defined, but the locals had stopped using it a few years back judging from it's condition.

The road was on the AAA map back then.....and shouldn't have been. They don't upgrade those maps very often. Like never!

I was in my Baja Bug with a companion. If I'd known what I was getting into, I'd have never gone that way. As you did, I felt very vulnerable out there.

Congrats on the successful transition of that route. You guys rock.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #219
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,229
Quote:
Nice! I'm sure it seems like they're too thin to do much at all, but believe in the thermolite! It takes some time to figure
out how to pull it up around your head while inside the bag, but once you get the inch-worm-boogie down you're golden.

Forgive me, loyal readers (sheesh that sounds lame of me )--------going to be
another delay, probably won't have another installment for a week or so while we take family
to tour Death Valley.

There's a week left, 1200 miles or so to get home. It's been an amazing trip so far..........

charles, hurry up before the natives get restless.

well done rr and enjoyed each post.

have fun in dv. you're a week ahead of us, we'll be there last weekend of march. you will miss the spectacle of watching 200 noobs doing what they do best....

hey ratman....being one of the founding fathers of this event, come and join us.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #220
HardWorkingDog OP
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
...well done rr and enjoyed each post.

have fun in dv. you're a week ahead of us, we'll be there last weekend of march. you will miss the spectacle of watching 200 noobs doing what they do best....
Thanks, dude!

It's not a coincidence that we'll be there the week before

Old 03-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #221
stevodadevo
What happened?

Oddometer: 177
Great report! Thanks for sharing.
stevodadevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #222
HardWorkingDog OP
Harvey Mushman

Thanks, stevodadevo-----I'm back, had a great but too short time in Death Valley.

Will get back on the report tonight...until then here's Lippincott, with Saline Valley in the background:

HardWorkingDog screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 07:57 AM Reason: missed the "da"
Old 03-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #223
RHrider
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Charles, great meeting you at Panamint Springs. Jennifer is starting to read your report.... I think she is hooked and doesn't even ride dirtbikes!
Take your time on finishing, I can wait
RHrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #224
HardWorkingDog OP
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
HWD, I can relate to that road northeast from San Jose de Comondu...If I'd known what I was getting into, I'd have never gone that way. As you did, I felt very vulnerable out there.

Congrats on the successful transition of that route. You guys rock.
Wow, thanks Ratman. That's exactly how we felt, I'm glad my report was able to reflect some of that Baja
sense of......alertness.....to the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHrider View Post
Charles, great meeting you at Panamint Springs. Jennifer is starting to read your report.... I think she is hooked and doesn't even ride dirtbikes!
Take your time on finishing, I can wait
Say hi to all, RH! What a great coincidence to meet up there, I'm really glad I saw the D36 sticker and took
the chance to stop by and talk. Hopefully we can find a way to ride together soon.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #225
HardWorkingDog OP
Harvey Mushman

Day 35, 2/3/13
Rancho Piedra Blanca to Bahia de Los Angeles

The perfect Baja day had ended at Rancho Piedra Blanca.

We'd awakened early to the belligerent sounds of the cows--hey muchachos, it's leche time.
As we packed we also had to do some more repairs to the DR. The rough roads, rocks and
washboard had overcome the taillight bracket--the steel plate had sheared through at both
bolts.

Zip ties and electrical tape did the trick, although the zip ties had to be replaced a couple
more times before we were home.

We were headed back for some old favorites on the way back, today the plan was the hot
showers and friendly neighbors at Daggett's on Bahia de Los Angeles via 95 miles of dirt
roads.

No pavement at all, just how we like it. It was a good day of riding, navigation was perfect,

roads were deserted

and plenty to keep us on our toes, or at least on our feet.

As we approached the Bahia we found ourselves on the course of the Bahia de Los Angeles
200 that had run just the day before.

Turns out the race team that had extricated us out of the mud of Laguna Salada had been in the
race, but DNF'd with a transmission failure.

We were lucky that we didn't come through here a day earlier. We would have gotten
a taste of Baja desert racing for free...

The roads were pretty chewed up. I tried some of the sand whoops, just for fun. It was fun for
about a quarter mile, then not so fun. Riding a loaded bike just isn't really the best way to
try out sand whoops on a race course.

We made it into Daggett's early in the afternoon, set up camp

and with high hopes from our great day of riding started looking for a place to watch the Super Bowl.
Bryn and I are 49er fans and we'd been thinking there'd be a chance we'd get to watch it after all.

We'd have probably had a better time off in the middle of the Baja desert, camping with the
quiet boojum trees.

It's funny how often you go back to a place you'd really enjoyed in the past, only this time
everything seems different. Well, the race crowd had overwhelmed Daggett's and while the
crowd was gone, the water system had broken down and there was no hot water, toilets were
not flushable (but------full-----of course). It was a Sunday and the resident extended family was
gathered for the weekly gathering. We got to listen to Mexican country music and the usual family
gathering noises late into the night.

We did find a little saggy-floored ramshackle restaurant/bar next door to watch the game, but the 49ers
played horrible defense and to cap it off, an old gringo downed 4 shots of tequila during halftime
and decided that since he hated the 49ers he would prove his manhood by challenging Bryn to
go outside and fight him. I sat watching this unfold, ready to spring up and put this moron down
if he made one move towards him but Bryn is very good at handling stupid drunks, slowly talked
him down, and before the third quarter was over we realized the chest-pounder had left.

I tried to watch the rest of the game but my heart wasn't in it. Neanderthal football fans, toilets filled
to the brim, loud music and raucous laughter while I'm tossing and turning in my tent; it was the one day
in Baja where I didn't feel I was living like a king.

Bryn slept like a baby though.

It was time to go back to the primitive life-----back to Surf Camp tomorrow!

HardWorkingDog screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 12:07 PM Reason: tejano, norteno, quien sabe?