Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #16
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Shaft, tell us about the cracked rim holding air without a tube. This should be interesting........
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #17
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Tubeless tires on Lesters?

I have always run tubeless tires on my Lester wheels. Just put on some new Michelin Pilot Activs. I have heard some say that Lesters are not designed for tubeless - one is supposed to use tubes:

I have never had any problems running tubeless:

New Michelins on:

Balanced, and ready to ROLL:
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #18
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
No safety bead on the lesters either by the looks of it.

Still, if we were worried about staying alive, we wouldn't ride bikes........would we.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #19
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,385
Judging from taking them back off of even non-safety bead rims, I suspect that tubeless are much less likely to come of the same non-safety bead rim than tires with tubes.

Those look like old K bike valve stems? That's what I use in my LS rims.

@ 100RT: That would be interesting but, since I am not making any of this up, I can't do it. I can tell you that I have seen cracked and bent rims with tubes in them and the tube let all the air out. I can also tell you that I have seen a few tubes come out of the tire and rap around the axle. The fact is that tube type tires would be better off with safety beads rims as well as tubeless. From what I have seen, tires with tubes need a safety bead rim more than tubeless tires. In fact, I have noticed all the newer spoked rims that I have seen are safety bead rims. That's a good idea IMO. I still think that tubeless is safer than running tubes over 9 out of 10 times we have an issue with tires regardless of rim type. Personally, I have never busted a rim. It might be safer to run a tube if I did. All the nails, screws, welding rod, and whatnot I have picked up in the mean time. I know running tubeless is much safer.

supershaft screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 07:50 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #20
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 109 View Post
No safety bead on the lesters either by the looks of it.

Still, if we were worried about staying alive, we wouldn't ride bikes........would we.
The bead is smooth - no safety lip/bead. I will have to look at a current model wheel and compare. I've had the rear go flat at highway speed, and had no troubles coming to a stop - just weaving all over the road. The tire did not come off the rim (plugged the tire and rode home), and actually had to bust the bead lose to get the tire off when I got home.
No, I am not worried. Pretty confident running tubeless on Lesters. If I was worried, I would stay on the couch.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 02-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #21
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Judging from taking them back off of even non-safety bead rims, I suspect that tubeless are much less likely to come of the same rim than tires with tubes.

Those look like old K bike valve stems? That's what I use in my LS rims.
SS, it is HARD WORK to mount those tires! They go on TIGHT. When trying to seat the bead, I had to use all my old tricks. I soap 'em up, air pressure up to 60 lb., beat on the sidewalls with a mallet, bounce the tires, let the air out, soap 'em up again, and repeat. Finally the bead will seat. Those Michelins fit on there SNUGLY. They ain't gonna pop off.

As far as the valves stems - as much as I know those were on the Lesters when I bought the bike in '82. (possibly could have put new ones on at some point, just don't remember)

edit: Could have bought the bike in '80 of '81, don't remember. It is possible (likely?) it had Conti RB2 and K112 TUBE tires on it. Remember those? So, yeah, I may have put valve stems on at some point... don't remember. Is it a good thing that I don't remember that I don't remember?
ABC #12947
'75 R90S

craydds screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 04:21 AM Reason: valve stems
Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #22
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,283
welp, I have the GS rims, and I know they're not exactly the topic of discussion, but I have been using tubes for a few years. Its easier, imo to change a tube out that to try and reseat the bead on the knobbie tires that probably werent meant for those rims in the first place. This is basically based on one time it took a village to ge the back tire back on. Finally got it to hit with a good blast of C)2 but it was really dodgy. Somehwere around 15lbs of air was obviously not enough to keep it on the rim

Getting the last bit of tire seated is the last major pbstacle I've figured a worka around for. It includes using the spoons to kinda lever the tire over the bead while inflating. and lots of lube of some kind. Been using Windex, lately.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #23
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,385
I have 2 sets of wheels for my mono, one set has tubeless tyres, the other tubed. Only difference is I can break the bead on the tube tyres with my foot, I need a bead breaker for the tubeless tyres.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #24
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
I have 2 sets of wheels for my mono, one set has tubeless tyres, the other tubed. Only difference is I can break the bead on the tube tyres with my foot, I need a bead breaker for the tubeless tyres.
If the wheel types are the same, then that is a strange situation. Why?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #25
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,878
Given the litigious results of an accident in the US, I would think twice about running untubed in rims requiring tubes.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:12 AM   #26
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 109 View Post
If the wheel types are the same, then that is a strange situation. Why?
What, that I run tube and tubeless? I do a lot of gravel, the tube tyres are for gravel. Or that the tube tyres are easy to unseat? Tubeless must be made to seat with the safety bead, tubed have no need to, they break the bead just the same as on a tube rim.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #27
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
What, that I run tube and tubeless? I do a lot of gravel, the tube tyres are for gravel. Or that the tube tyres are easy to unseat? Tubeless must be made to seat with the safety bead, tubed have no need to, they break the bead just the same as on a tube rim.
I thought you meant that you had tubed and tubeless on the same rim type, with tubed being easier to get off.
If that was the case, I was wondering why it would be so.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:54 AM   #28
motu
Loose Pre Unit

I do, they are. The why I would put down to tubed and tubeless.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:50 AM   #29
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
Given the litigious results of an accident in the US, I would think twice about running untubed in rims requiring tubes.
Charles, I choose to run "untubed" in rims requiring tubes. If I have an "accident" (a crash) then I will sue myself. Probably win, too.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 02-21-2013, 03:57 AM   #30
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by craydds View Post
Charles, I choose to run "untubed" in rims requiring tubes. If I have an "accident" (a crash) then I will sue myself. Probably win, too.
It's just the owner of the Merc that you hit that I'm worried about!
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote