User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
squad314 OP
Regular Joe

Oddometer: 99
Vanson Leathers

I had a "Manx" that I bought in person at the Fall River facility back in the early 90's. I absolutely loved it but sold it as I put on some weight and have never been as happy with a jacket since. I got away from motorcycling for a number of years but got a bike last summer and find myself thinking hard about another Vanson.

I see that the company has changed somewhat since my last experience(moving some operations offshore, the introduction of lighter weight 'Firenze' leather etc.) I'd love to hear some opinions and discussion. I know that the industry has changed a lot in the last 20 years with the introduction and popularity of different materials but I just can't shake the notion that I'm a leather guy and that Vanson is amongst the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 02-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
I have two jackets and one track suit. The jackets are a mark 2 pro perf and another older sport type jacket. Thick, stiff, solid jackets. There are other leather options, but I think the vanson stuff is some of the best. I wouldn't mess with the light weight firenze leather stuff - I think that is mostly fashion weight - you get vanson for the competition weight leather. I wear my jackets over a forcefield pressure suit - that combination has to be about as good as you can get for protection.

I have a "hybrid" track suit. Its an off the rack suit that includes all the armor. I had trouble finding another suit that fit at any price, and was about to go custom, but I found this suit and it fits like it was made for me. Its one of the ones made in el salvador, but I can't tell the difference. Its an awesome suit, and for the money well worth it. I wrecked once in it and it has a few surface scratches, but no real damage.

I don't think you can go wrong with vanson. Its not cheap but this stuff will really last your lifetime.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:35 AM   #3
Hookdude
Flying W Master

Oddometer: 10
After 3 crashes in Vanson products I can only give them the highest of recommendations.

They're customer service is second to none.
Be it post crash repairs, new purchase or simply answering my stupid questions, they've always treated me exceptionally well.
They're the only leathers I'll own.

Because they're less than an hour away (use to be 15 minutes when they were in Stoughton from where I bought my first...I digress) I'm able to deal with them in person. But I'm certain you'll receive excellent service via phone.

I only have their competition weight stuff, both perforated and solid. So can't speak towards their other stuff, but I wouldn't doubt it's quality. They take their reputation extremely serious.

Be sure to request a complimentary T-shirt if you buy a new jacket. (Hint, Hint!)
Old 02-20-2013, 04:59 AM   #4
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,018
My sons used Vanson roadrace leathers for years. I think we still have 3 suits. They've been rebuilt many times. The newest suit was made by www.Pilotleathers.com. It is a much more modern design and they put all the logos on it required for AMA Pro. It's sort of a process to get one made, though. You need about 12 weeks lead time.

Both Vanson and Pilot use heavier leather on their race suits than most. As an example, Dainese are protective but easily destroyed.

The Vanson custom suit comes in around $1700. Pilot is about $1200.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
squad314 OP
Regular Joe

Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated. Actually now that I think of it perhaps it was the Stoughton location I visited in 94ish for my first jacket? I really had not considered the firenze weight, the competition grade is what I would like. If I were to find something on the secondary market is there a way to distinguish between the two different grades without actually having them in hand? Also I understand there are "seconds" options at times, any thoughts on that?
Old 02-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
ElTigre1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
jacket

These guys still make very good stuff right here in the good old USA.

http://www.batesleathers.com/streetwear/jackets.php
ElTigre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by squad314 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated. Actually now that I think of it perhaps it was the Stoughton location I visited in 94ish for my first jacket? I really had not considered the firenze weight, the competition grade is what I would like. If I were to find something on the secondary market is there a way to distinguish between the two different grades without actually having them in hand? Also I understand there are "seconds" options at times, any thoughts on that?

I've had Vanson's since 2002, and they are nicely broken in. I think the difference in the Firenze is that it doesn't accept armor. The Competition Weight is armor ready. If you go to the Vanson site, you might find closeouts or seconds.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
drofwaves
MT

Oddometer: 88
I own a Vanson jacket and pants. The pants are not made in the USA and the Cobra jacket is. There is definitely a difference in quality. It appears to me Vanson made a decision to lower costs and it shows in the materials. My Cobra jacket is of very high quality both in material use (leather and zippers) and construction. The pants are not remarkable, although they were nearly $500.

I am in the market for a jacket similar to a Vanson Einfield but will likely avoid Vanson due to my experience with the pants.

My opinion FWIW...
drofwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:04 AM   #9
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 796
I have a couple of Vanson jackets and they make a fine product.
The Mark2 pro-perf (USA made)I have is not only super stout but flows so much air it's great in hot weather when you're moving.

I also have a supervent which isn't made in the US that is Ok for the money but nothing special as far as airflow, fit and build quality. It's not bad it's just not nearly as nice as the Mark2 although at 1/3 the price I wouldn't have expected the same level of detail.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofwaves View Post
... It appears to me Vanson made a decision to lower costs and it shows in the materials. .... My opinion FWIW...
That's really sad to hear. Another American company a victim of the Wal Mart consumer disposable mentality. At one time nobody could touch Vanson quality. Now everyone wants a shiny new polysomething jacket every 24 months in the latest colors, so off to China the production goes.

I have a 15 year old Vanson perforated leather jacket that is still soldiering on perfectly. Sure, it was pricey, but you got what you paid for. I'll probably will it to my nephew's son some day. Same with my 21 year old Hein Gericke Dakar. It's still working great after all these years other than having the original corduroy collar lining replaced with deerskin by a leathersmith about 18 years ago.

My opinion as well. I'm a gear whore, but the leather stuff is still there after all these years.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
squad314 OP
Regular Joe

Called Vanson today and asked about the offshore operation and was told that they havent been using it for about 8 months. Sure wish I hadn't "grown" out of my old Manx. The guy who I sold it to was still wearing it up until his passing due to illness last year. I'm speaking with an inmate about buying his "Avenger" right now....Stay tuned.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #12
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,466
I have the Challenger Mk2 Jacket and Sport Rider Pants, probably 3 yrs and 30k on them and they're still breaking in nicely. Got the pants on clearance from their factory warehouse and so am around $750 for the suit. Love it and only use my Stich during winter now. A cape and Batman cowl work pretty well at Halloween parties too.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
I wish the handful of US jacket manufacturers like vanson, bates, langlitz, etc would do two things:

1: Get a decent website. Seriously.
2: Introduce some modern slim armor to their classic designs.

Seriously, you can get a real wax cotton belstaff jacket with d3o pads (that you don't have to sew in yourself), so why not a top shelf US made leather jacket, hmm?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #14
concours
Banned

Oddometer: 5,135
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714887
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
squad314 OP
Regular Joe

Very interesting read concours^^, thank you. I appreciate you not beating me over the head with "Search is your friend" or some such.