El Salvador (entry)-La Hachadura

El Salvador (exit)-El Amatillo

Honduras (entry)-El Amatillo

Honduras (exit)-Guasaule

Nicaragua (entry)-Guasaule

Nicaragua (exit)-Peñas Blancas

Costa Rica (entry)-Peñas Blancas

Entering Mexico.

A simple process if you have the required documents and a credit card.

***Immigration:

a) Tourist Visa (FMM Forma Migratoria Multiple), processed by INM = Passport (original) + Payment.

***Customs:

b) Import Permit or Permiso de Importacion Temporal de Vehiculos, processed by Banejército = Passport (original & copy) + Driver’s Licence (original & copy) + Title or Registration of the vehicle: (original & copy) + Tourist Visa (original & 2 copies) + Payment (with a credit card or a cash deposit will have to be made as a guarantee to withdraw the vehicle from the country in the time agreed). A sticker is placed on the bike, you must keep and do not lose it, it will be removed together with the permit at the exit border.

Exiting Mexico.

***Customs:

Once again a simple process; they will require the original permit of entry to Mexico for the vehicle and the sticker that was placed on the bike. With this they produce a document to prove that the permit has been cancelled, it is called: Importacion Temporal de Vehiculos / Certificado de Retorno / Retorno Definitivo.

***Immigration: a stamp was provided in our passports. They questioned the fact that we did not have a stamp for the entry and warn us to make sure we always get one. However we did have the Tourist Visa so that is clear proof we came into the country.

Entering Guatemala:

***Immigration:

-Passport: original.

-Fee of $0 /person, a stamp is provided in our passports and a period of 90 days is given to be in the country, this will be valid throughout Guatemala-El Salvador-Honduras and Nicaragua, this means you will not likely get a stamp at the other borders just entered in their system. However, we got charged 20 Quetzales to enter the country, it was a scam and no receipt was issued because there was no “system” at the moment.

***Customs:

Normally Customs would ask for a series of copies, but here they only wanted originals and they would get their own copies.

-Title or Registration of the vehicle: original.

-Driver’s Licence: original.

-Proof of exit from Mexico for the vehicle: original.

-Payment at the bank of 160 Quetzales/vehicle. Permit is valid for 90 days. They only accept Quetzales.

Exiting Guatemala.

***Immigration:

Original passport is required and a stamp of exit is placed. Here is where I confirmed that we should not have paid anything when we entered the country.

***Customs:

-Passport with the stamp of exit of Immigration Guatemala: original & copy.

-Title or Registration of the vehicle: original & copy.

-Driver’s Licence: original & copy.

-Permit of entry to Guatemala for the vehicle: original & copy.

With these requirements the permit is cancelled and a stamp is placed on the permit. This is how the legal status to withdraw the vehicle is finalized. You may wonder what happens if you do not follow these steps… Fines are given and they can go as high as $622 USD per month or fraction of the month that the permit goes over the expiry date.

Entering El Salvador.

***Customs: a stamp is required on the stamped (cancelled) permit of entry to Guatemala for the vehicle, this stamp is placed by a Customs officer who is at the bridge before reaching Immigration or Customs.

***Immigration: simple step where the officer registers the entry in the computer but no stamp is provided in the passports.

***Customs:

-Passport with the stamp of exit of Immigration Guatemala: original & copy.

-Stamped (cancelled) permit of entry to Guatemala for the vehicle: original & copy.

-There is no fee to import the vehicle.

This is how you get the document that will allow you to circulate through the country, this document should be available because it is requested 100 metres later. As well as a toll fee of $5 USD/vehicle is collected but we did not pay since we had no money, there are no banks or ATMs at this border.

Exiting El Salvador.

***After being chased we came to a booth where we had to show the original permit of entry to El Salvador for the vehicle to an Agent of “Direccion General de Aduanas” (DGA).

We showed this document and the agent kept it, a copy of the same document was stamped as a proof of exiting the country. I had to get one more copy of this stamped document for a future step which we did at that spot.

***Immigration: no stamp was provided in our passports but our exit was registered in the computer. An immigration officer (the boss) made a clear recommendation: “Do not speak to anybody who does not wear official uniform of Aduanas or Migracion otherwise you are at risk of extortion”.

***Customs again just before the bridge. Another officer asked for the stamped (cancelled) copy of the permit of entry to El Salvador for the vehicle.

Entering Honduras.

***Young kids and young men where asking us to stop at the bridge.

***Once we crossed the bridge we came to a stop and a man who claimed to work for Customs asked us to give him all the documentation so we can clear Customs. I did not accept his demand and asked him to let me know where the offices for Immigration and Customs were at so we can do the process ourselves. He got angry and claimed to be injured by Deya so the police had to come and finally I went to the little office set up just next to the bridge and asked for help. A man with an orange shirt helped and took me to the Customs office, The DGA officers on the bridge are there to point you in the right direction and should not cost anything. Unfortunately the only person who is authorized to sign the permits to import a vehicle temporarily was not there, so we waited from 11:30 am to 2 pm. Meanwhile we got a phone number to report any problems faced by tourists: 800-222-8687 ANOMALIAS TURISTICAS.

***Immigration: while we waited we dealt with this part of the process.

-Fee of $3 USD/person. A receipt as a proof of payment is issued and stapled in the passport.

***Finally by 2 pm I went inside an office that is not marked as Customs but it is actually where the process takes place. The place is named Secretaria de Finanzas Direccion Ejecutiva de Ingresos. By the time I got in there was a long line and I had to wait. When I was able to speak to this lady I explained to her our frustrating situation and asked her to guide me through the process which she accepted and in fact she said this is what she is working on, getting tourists to do their own paperwork otherwise those criminals outside take advantage and mislead the tourists. She said what would normally cost 635.72 Lempiras or $35 USD approximately and almost no time, it costs for those who get taken advantage of about $100-$150 USD and a long wait. In occasions the process would take a long time just because line ups or little things but it would take long regardless of who is doing it. That is the reason why that little office after the bridge is set up so tourists can get help from Customs rather than criminals, but hard to say who is who at that moment.

***Customs:

-Passport with the stamp of entry of Immigration Honduras: original.

-Stamped (cancelled) copy of the permit of entry to El Salvador for the vehicle: original.

With these documents two forms are issued: Forma 9A-1 and Boletín de Pago, and the proper payment is now clear $35 USD or 635.73 Lempiras/vehicle. Also the passport gets a stamp with all the information of the vehicle in consideration.

Normally at this point a series of photocopies are taken and the payment is done at the bank but in our case the bank was closed (closes at 4 pm). So, we made the payment directly at Customs and got the following photocopies and delivered two of each at Customs, we only kept one of the copies of the Forma 9A-1 and Boletín de Pago for a future step.

-Passport with the stamp of entry of Immigration Honduras: 2 copies.

-Title or Registration of the vehicle: 2 copies.

-Driver’s Licence: 2 copies.

-Stamped (cancelled) copy of the permit of entry to El Salvador for the vehicle: 2 copies.

-Forma 9A-1 and Boletín de Pago: 3 copies.

We faced another problem. They only accept cash and we did not have enough, which meant one of us had to go back and get money at a close ATM. The nearest was in El Salvador and we decided I would go. I went back with the Customs Agent (the boss) to the bridge to get permission to go back to El Salvador, went back through Immigration to enter El Salvador, they allowed me to go without checking my passport. However, just when I was about to get to the place where we were chased previously I decided to go back, I was afraid. I turned around and in no time they were there again, impeding me to go through, they put their vehicle in the middle of the road and one of them jumped off the vehicle and took the other side of the road leaving me with the shoulder to drive through so I can escape from them. I did not know their intentions. Back again to exit El Salvador, I was not required to go through Immigration, and Customs in Honduras let me go back with no problem because they had instructions to do so.

At this point and after explaining the situation to the lady at Customs she sent one of her officials to accompany me in his truck to get money.

There we go again, back to Immigration and this time I had to enter the country again and went to the closest town to withdraw money. Came back an hour later and went through Immigration again. The point is, have enough cash available before you get to the border.

With this payment we finalized the process and Customs offered us to go with us to the hotel where they stay at the end of their shift. So we did, we waited. In that wait, he showed up… Dani… he was also being followed and we worked with him to get him through.

***Customs again at the final exit gets a copy of Forma 9A-1 and Boletín de Pago.

Finally we made to the hotel in Nacaome, Honduras. Forty two kilometres of darkness and stress.

Exiting Honduras.

***Immigration: no stamp was provided in our passports but our exit was registered in the computer. Also a little stamp is given in a little piece of paper so we can deliver that at the bridge to an officer so we can prove we went through Immigration.

***Customs: simple process.

The Customs officer checks the vehicle in consideration, stamps the passport and takes Forma 9A-1 and Boletín de Pago away.

Entering Nicaragua:

***Immigration:

-Fee of $10 USD/person, the document issued is called Tarjeta de Turismo. $2 USD/person for Migración y Extranjeria.

***Customs:

With this the permit of entry to Nicaragua for the vehicle is issued.

***Vehicle Insurance:

It is called “Seguro obligatorio de responsabilidad civil legal de automóvil vehiculos con matricula extranjera y en transito”. This is not a requirement for Immigration or Customs but people will make you believe so. This is a requirement of the police and it is simply a Third Party Liability Insurance. If you happen to have an International Insurance Policy then this is not required by the police, but if you don’t then the police can force you to buy it and penalize you if you do not have this paper. This policy can be purchased after dealing with Immigration and Customs.

***Five kilometres later…

A fake police station was set up and a police office with a fat chick stopped us to ask for driver’s licence and insurance which sounds reasonable but not until they started to play tricks saying I did not look like the woman in the picture. I did not let them rip us off; they wanted money for a fee that was the last one to come into the country. Video of this…

Exiting Nicaragua.

The longest and stupidest process of all.

***Payment to exit to the Municipality of Cardenas Rivas, the receipt is issued as an Especial Contribution of $1 USD/person.

***There is a little booth where Immigration and Customs (DGA-Direccion General de Aduanas) check the passports and the vehicles and allow us to go to the next office inside a big parking lot.

***Immigration: here we have to show our passports and a stamp is placed. We also have to pay again a fee of $2 USD/person for Migración y Extranjeria.

***Customs: the best is to find the Customs office and ask for instructions. Otherwise it can be complicated.

-Get a signature on the permit of entry to Nicaragua for the vehicle in consideration from a police officer who is in the parking lot, who knows where and a signature of an officer of DGA (Customs). These two individuals suppose to check your vehicle but they do not, so really the signature is worth nothing. Someone may know the name of the police officer and the Customs officer and in that way it is easier to find them.

-With these two signatures in the document plus the driver’s licence and passport, another Customs officer will check the documents (in an office at the back of the parking lot). This officer will issue a signature on the permit of entry to Nicaragua for the vehicle in consideration. Another police officer in this office will do the same.

-The permit of entry to Nicaragua for the vehicle in consideration is given back to us and with all the signatures issued this paper is given back to another Customs officer at the end of the parking lot.

-At this point another Immigration officer checks the passports with the exit stamp.

Entering Costa Rica.

***Immigration: as simple as personally delivering the passport and getting a stamp which will allow Canadians to stay in the country for a maximum of 90 days. This is the first border, after Mexico, where they actually require seeing the person of the passport.

***Customs:

First the following documents have to be presented,

-Passport with the stamp of entry of Immigration Costa Rica: original & copy.

-Insurance called “Seguro obligatorio de vehiculos automores-poliza turista”, cost = 6736 Colones and it can only be paid in this currency: original & copy. This is purchased next to the Immigration office.

-Importation form called “Solicitud de Importación Temporal del Vehiculo”.

Second, with all these papers a little document is elaborated and the entire package is taken to another Customs office where the actual permit gets issued.

Third, in this other Customs office the package is delivered and a Customs officer prepares the permit of entry to Costa Rica for the vehicle. In return you get the permit along with the little document issued earlier to be able to exit the parking lot.

Fourth, little document is given to a guard at the end of the parking lot and Welcome to the Land of Civilized people again…

Deyanira Mendoza Dominguez – Adventure Researcher

Old 05-23-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,512
Thanks for taking the time for all the extensive info, it’s great stuff and a blessing to all who will read it beforehand

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Daandus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Thanks! really great info ;-)
Daandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
mundobravo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,098
thanks for taking the time to post this up !
http://www.vimeo.com/7780879
mundobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
DKW1200
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Thanks Deyanira

Great information. Thanks!
DKW1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:51 AM   #6
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,889
Pretty extensive information.

Entering Honduras at El Amatillo, I would like to point out that if you have a U.S. registered bike they will want to see the original title. I entered and exited Honduras 4 times in the last couple of years with a U.S. registered bike and they wanted the original title each time. The aduana lady even knew that a California title had a watermark in the shape of a bear on it. She had a big book showing titles from just about every state.

You could probably eventually get through without it, but my guess is that its going to cost you, plenty.

crashmaster screwed with this post 09-01-2011 at 01:21 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
jantarek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you

wow did you save me some serious reasearch / reading / headaches / .....

thanks again

(printed saved, copied saved)
My SpotWala
jantarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,680
MEX:
they'll give you the sticker for the bike but no one is looking that you have it placed on the bike. mine stays folded up.

i also made several copies of my passport (info page) and show that and bike paperwork to the police...only pulling out license is asked. best to get one of the international drivers license from AAA and go to DMV in your state and say you lost your license and get a copy.
that way if stopped you first show your passport copy then intl DL then old DL and never give up your real DL.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Pretty extensive information.

Entering Honduras at El Amatillo, I would like to point out that if you have a U.S. registered bike they will want to see the original title. I entered and exited Honduras 4 times in the last couple of years with a U.S. registered bike and they wanted the title each time.

You could probably eventually get through without it, but my guess is that its going to cost you, plenty.
seems things go back and forth from orig. reg to orig. title in CA.
safe bet is to have both originals and 2 copies of each per country.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
eakins
Butler Maps

this should be stickied!
Old 09-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #11
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,889
Its good to have some notes on the basic procedure that you will be expected to follow, fees that you may need to pay etc. However, things change at these borders quite often. the basic procedure is always the same, migracion, copies, stamps, aduana, copies, stamps, copies, copies, some bs piece of paper that costs a dollar, more copies, some signatures, another stamp,etc, etc, etc. After a few times, it gets pretty easy to kind of smell your way through the procedure, or better yet, just ask people what you need to do next, you will get some interesting answers.

I think the best thing you can do to prepare for the borders is to arrive early with the attitude that you have all day, and really dont care if you ever get through.

Expect delays like the power being out of 7 hours, the computers being down for 5 hours, or the infamous 2.5 hour lunch. If you expect this, when it doesnt happen, its like a christmas present. Things will go much smoother with this attitude.

Some of these borders are culturally very interesting places. If you take a break, remove yourself from the chaos, sit down, have a smoke, get a drink and observe things happen, or just talk to some of the interesting characters that work the borders, I think you will find it quite entertaining and educational, its well worth doing. Its all part of the adventure, so relax.

Some folks make a really big deal out of these borders when in reality, they are no big deal, and not really even worth mentioning. But, if youre wound up tight or in a hurry, they will be a nightmare for you.

crashmaster screwed with this post 09-01-2011 at 01:31 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #12
Daandus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Mexico: when we finally got the import-sticker, it was pissing with rain. I asked the guys there how long they expected this sticker to remain on my windscreen, and they told me it was just fine to store the sticker in the panniers.
We didn't have any issues with it.
We did need original paperwork at the border, and at some military checkpoints. (most of them were great fun by the way ;-), no issues)

We just have about 10 sets of copies with us in a pannier, and always take a full set of copies to every border together with our originals.
Daandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:26 AM   #13
mundobravo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post

I think the best thing you can do to prepare for the borders is to arrive early with the attitude that you have all day, and really dont care if you ever get through.
ya buddy ..
http://www.vimeo.com/7780879
mundobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #14
Red 5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Great Post

Thanks for this, timely bit of information, I'm in Mexico now with Sierra Lima Hotel, headed south. Crossing into Mexico at Laredo was a breeze, we'll be entering Guatemala in about 2 week's time, this will come in handy.

2000 F650GS Dakar

Gone but not forgotten:
1998 F650
2005 R1200GS
Red 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:15 AM   #15
Wander4Days
Where am I?

Oddometer: 85

Thanks! Bookmarking the post and printing a copy to stick in our trip planning pile for our upcoming ride south.
Wander4Days is offline   Reply With Quote