Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #16
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,080
I did the zenni thing once and it went okay, no real complaints. I had more money the next time I needed glasses and went back to my old optometrist, and he did his usual solid work, for a lot more cash. The only real difference was/is the frame quality--the frames I got from my local guy will last longer, but since a new set of lenses cost more than a complete set of glasses, the economics doesn't add up. The value, however, does--my glasses are more comfortable, and I can get them adjusted anytime for free. Service has to be factored in the price. Plus, the lenses get replaced if they're scratched, no extra charge. So what will I do next time? Simple--it depends on what I can afford at the time.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,059
Day 2.
Still feel like Im in a funhouse,
Oye

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #18
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

Oddometer: 898
I used Zeni optical when I was going back to school full time. I measured the size of some glasses that fit well and got the closest frame. I worked well to save money at the time. The glasses that I got had a weak bridge and broke once, but I just ordered a new frame. Orders take about 2 weeks, maybe a little less. For riding, I recommend looking for glasses with a strong bridge as that seems to be where they break.

Now that I'm working again I just get my bifocals from my optometrist, but I also get a prescription and I might get some single lens from Zeni as a second pair.

For riding, I mostly use a Bobster Specktrax with custom inserts. I can ride with the visor open using riding type goggle-glasses and I think the thick plastic is less likely to break and safer in an accident. I have a prescription of around -4.5 with some astigmatism and there is a little distortion in peripheral vision with these kind of glasses which may bother some people.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #19
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
and there is a little distortion in peripheral vision with these kind of glasses which may bother some people.
Like me.
Man, how do you do it ?

Old 02-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #20
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Like me.
Man, how do you do it ?
It will take a little bit of time, give it more than a couple of days. I would guess that it took me a good couple of weeks for everything to be automatic for focusing and seeing clearly. Now its all good. I had 20/10 vision until my early 40s, then went down hill fast with up close vision. Lineless bifocals and transitions are my norm now!!! I cannot focus on the instruments or GPS without glasses and I can't do contacts, so mine are 24/7 wear for me now.

One note on the transition (auto darkening) any kind of UV protection in a faceshield or windshield will greatly detract from the transition. UV is what activates the transition and they wont change or at least wont get as dark. I usually ride with a dark shield and keep googles or safety glasses handy for night time. IF I know I am riding at night then I do prescription sunglasses and the clear shield for daytime and then switch back to my normal glasses at night.

Can't help on the reduced price, I have a regular eye doc and just use them. Not cheap, but they do me up decent and my prescription doesnt change so its new frames/lenses every couple of years. Same with the sunglasses.
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #21
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Is line less bifocals the same thing as progressive lens ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #22
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,244
Quote:

Hi Frank.

Good reading starting on page 51 of this catalog.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #23
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Thanks Bry. Ill check it out right now

Old 02-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #24
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

yes.......thats what I have is progressives...and transition lenses....I just picked up lineless bifocals from like old skool stuff......LOL.......
Old 02-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #25
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Just read it. I may have to go to a bi focal or carry 2 pairs. As I just cannot wear these progressives. It's that bad. Plus I rely on some peripheral vision with my job and its also gone with these.
I'm a wuss I know.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #26
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just read it. I may have to go to a bi focal or carry 2 pairs. As I just cannot wear these progressives. It's that bad. Plus I rely on some peripheral vision with my job and its also gone with these.
I'm a wuss I know.

the perihperal might come in time......I didn't have issues, but progressives are bifocals just without the distinct line. It takes a while but you learned head, and eye placement to see properly. Don't know what to tell you about the peripheral....
Old 02-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #27
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Remember going into the funhouse with the mirrors when u were a kid ? All wavy like u were on some illegal drug ?
It's like that for me right now. Lol

Old 02-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #28
jc9995
Commuting BEAST :)

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACommuter View Post
Last few years I have been buying my glasses on line. Zennioptical.com. I'm hard on my eye wear and frequently drop, bend, and break my glasses. These are ridiculously cheap. I usually buy 3-4 sets at a time.

I did buy a set of riding glasses from riderseye.com. So-so. They are a little bulky and don't sit well depending what helmet i wear and the automatic darkening option isn't as pronounced as I would have expected. Still, a good way to blow the remaining dollars in my health savings account for the year end.

VAC
This
Old 02-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #29
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Im trying for the 1st time tri focals. Crizal Lens, HD, yada yada......
Im am struggling to adapt to them. Distortion. My 1st time wearing glasses as I was tired of being out of focus with distance. But even though distance is clear now, it just weird. Not sure I can make this work. I spent a small fortune too. Frikin, $20 1.25 readers were easier for distance. Just hate changing glasses all the time.
Im at my wits end
I know how you feel. A few years ago I got some progressive lenses to get away from the lined bifocals. What a trip. I would trip walking down a flight of stairs. I actually quit wearing them and went back to my old glasses. But your eyes do get used to them. You just have to keep wearing them. Wearing glasses for me was a hard pill to swallow when I started really having to rely on them! But you got do what you gotta do.

BTW, Good job on the West Coast Discovery!!
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #30
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

Oddometer: 898
I use bifocals. I did not like progressives at all. When I first got progressives and did not like them, I ordered bifocals from Zeni optical and they cost about 60 bucks. It allowed me to try them without dropping $300 on another set of glasses.

My bi-focals for work and around home have most of the lower half of the lens cut for reading. My bi-focals for riding have a much small part of the lens, about 1/3 cut for reading. This way I have much less of the distortion from the reading part of my lens in my vision when riding, but I can still read the writing on maps. I think if you are doing very little reading (while riding or driving for example ) then you can get a smaller part of the lens cut for reading and then use either reading glasses for reading or another set of bifocals.