Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #31
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,005
It's a pretty personal thing. My wife and I had to get bifocals within about a year of each other. We both went to the same optometrist and got the same exact product (progressive). To her, it was torture, much like what has been described above. For me, it was a revelation from the get go, with only a minor tilt of the head needed to achieve focus.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #32
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,111
I have always worn progressive lens and it did take a week or so to get used to them, last year I needed a pair of sunglasses and I went the cheap route and got some bifocals, big mistake, I hate em, I should have just gone without.
I also did the Zennie, twice, didn't work for me, lens where so far off I could not wear them.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #33
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer Orange View Post
Find frames you like in a store, then buy them online. Take a picture of the mode/size number inside the temple for reference. Most independent optometrist shops will then fit lenses to the frames. Places like Lenscrafter won't do it because they want to sell you overpriced frames.

Frames are ridiculously marked up in stores and can be bought for less than half through online sources.

If you buy trendy frames and change frames often, and keep them in good condition, you may also be surprised what your used ones are worth on ebay.
Depends on your optometrist. I found my optometrist sold me the frames for about the same price as on-line discounters - and I got to check them out first. Bought Shuron Rensir ZYL (think 1959s science teacher or Malcom X), and some Berkshire Chase Beaufort 2 glasses for the same or less, getting to try them before buying. Seems my doctor's store sells for less than most any chain and prices are fair. I hear about people paying like $400 for glasses and wonder.

I did find a set of special frames (Rodenstock titaniums with a saddle bridge) for $20 on ebay, bought them and had lenses put in them too. My doctor commented they couldn't touch them for that kind of money.

Just did a set of wrap around frames (for dual sport helmet use) with bifocal lense grind (not the occular device with lenses used on Oakleys and others, but the actual lense). They were a bit more costly, I think around $275, $145 for the frames the rest for lenses. I'm not positive the cost, but I know after my optical insurance I paid another $95. They have a removeable kind of eye socket seal behind the frame - perfect.

As I've mentioned before, I use a standard bifocal, not the progressive, but with a twist. We lowered the position of the grind for the reading lense. Put it in perfect position to read the instruments while providing the distance lense for maximum viewing. I believe most lenses have the bifocal about centered on your eye. We went 10mm below the center of my eye. I think that was how it is done. I know my reading zone is smaller, but no big deal. The distance zone is big all considered. The optometrist and I discussed it at length, the advantages and disadvantages of the progressive versus the double grind and the lowering of the reading grind. I tried it and love it. I will say if you wear the really narrow current style glasses the lowered grind may not work. I have one set of glasses I got because my wife liked the look, they're so narrow vertically that most of the time walking down steps I'm looking under the frames! No way to lower the reading grind with them as far as I do with the others. Last comment, I don't wear huge frames, actually relatively small all considered. I just don't do the ridiculously narrow style frames presently popular - except the pair my wife picked... but hey, that's expected.

I also mention I do not care for the Transition lenses because they do not get dark enough. I have my sun glass lenses darker than normal, making me able to look nearly directly into the sun without problems. Minor squint when direct. The optometrist wasn't sold on the idea when I first did them back in 2000, but after he got them in, went outside and checked them out, he was pleased. As I was too. Transitions look dark, but really aren't. The ones I do are dark enough you can not see my eyes behind them. I figure it's only 30 seconds to change glasses out when needed, so I do that if need be.

Find a good optometrist. I have. Heck, I travel 110 miles one way to go to them, because I like them and stayed with them after I moved. Started with them around 1968 or so when in high school.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550

markk53 screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 08:45 AM
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #34
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
How long has it been since you got these lenses? I have progressive bifocals (no discernible line) and it took me at least 2 weeks, maybe more, to get used to them. I was very close to giving up...but now, a year or so later, don't notice the weirdness unless I try.

Sucks getting old...but the alternative sucks worse.

The worst part is wrenching on something I have to look upward to see---I wind up taking my glasses off. Apparently you can get upside down progressives to help with that

My friend was an electrician (union) doing a lot of overhead work. He had a pair of "work glasses". He got with his optometrist and got the bifocal lower grind in both the top and bottom (not really what is termed trifocal, but three grinds). They ain't cheap.

I had a pair since, as a teacher, I was always standing over a kid looking at the computer monitor through the top of my lenses when trying to help with problems (teaching CAD). They were great. Not so great for general use, but great for work. Always had a close up lense where needed. My optometrist actually changed up the upper grind slightly because of the kind of work. It didn't add to cost, just a bit of difference based on distance of work from the lense.

Just a thought for those who can justify the cost of the lense grind.

One note, not mentioned in any of the progressive grind comments. My optometrist pointed out the negative to the progressive lense is that all of that progressive part of the grind from one lense to the other is actually "out of focus" for the prescription. The standard bifocal has one full area of grind for reading/near and the rest of the area (including some outside area on the lower edges) for distance. As was pointed out here, some do fine, others don't. I went with the standard set up because I have no vanity about the bifocal "line". I wanted maximum performance for my needs. The lowered bifocal grind turned out perfect.

Mark - klx678
Old 02-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #35
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post

Just did a set of wrap around frames (for dual sport helmet use) with bifocal lense grind (not the occular device with lenses used on Oakleys and others, but the actual lense). They were a bit more costly, I think around $275, $145 for the frames the rest for lenses. I'm not positive the cost, but I know after my optical insurance I paid another $95. They have a removeable kind of eye socket seal behind the frame - perfect.
Got a brand name for those? I had oakley A wires when I was in iraq but they are getting more strick on what we are allowed to wear and I want something that doesn't make me look stupid like all the current "inserts"

DK
Old 02-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #36
markk53
jack of all trades...

I'll have to see. I went to get my eyes checked 12/22/12 and tried the frames in my Joe Rocket Hybrid (HJC in Europe) to see if they fit in and felt okay. They did and I ordered them. Haven't been back up to pick them up yet. When I do I will let you know what the brand is.

Mark - klx678
Old 02-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #37
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Just read it. I may have to go to a bi focal or carry 2 pairs. As I just cannot wear these progressives. ...
Diane couldn't get used to the progressive trifocals- but had no problem adapting to the ones with lines. I had the same issue with the progressive bifocals.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #38
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Diane couldn't get used to the progressive trifocals- but had no problem adapting to the ones with lines. I had the same issue with the progressive bifocals.
Thanks Commander, I just returned them today and ordered the lined ones. Hope thats easier.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #39
rgp332
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Pilot, I was just like you,I took my glasses back to the store. The guy that runs the store is a friend of mine.He talked me into giving them more time,I did and Ifinally got to where I like them.
But I still have a pair of lined bifocals I wear bowhunting because I move my eyes and not my whole head because of the bad peripheral vision with progessive lens.
I must have sumthin about 08's
rgp332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #40
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Thanks RGP. Yea the way you move your eyes is the same way I do at work.
Going to try the lined bifocals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #41
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Just read it. I may have to go to a bi focal or carry 2 pairs. As I just cannot wear these progressives. It's that bad. Plus I rely on some peripheral vision with my job and its also gone with these.
I'm a wuss I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm thinking those who are so vain as to want to avoid looking like they are wearing bifocals are the wusses.

After a lengthy discussion with my optometrist I went with standard grind bifocals. The reasons were pretty straight forward:
  • a progressive lense is exactly that - progressive. The prescription is changing from one point that is correct for reading to the other point where it is correct for distance. That makes all the transition area out of your actual prescription for either condition. You have less actual proper ground prescription area. As he put it - you're only in true focus at two points.
  • The standard bifocal can be set in height relative to your field of vision through the frame - we dropped the reading prescrip grind well below where it normally is on a regular lense. This opened up my field of vision when riding and driving as well as just plain walking. While having perfect position when glancing down at instruments. I'm thinking it was like a 10mm lowering of the grind.
  • standard bifocal grind leaves a range of distance prescrip grind right around the edges - lower periferal view. That is a gain when riding, your scan around the edges of your glasses are in the distance grind around a fair part of the lower outside edges.
  • One negative to a standard bifocal was having a bit less field of range for reading/close up work, I have to raise my head slightly when reading or using a computer. A trade off I was willing to give - plus I have another pair that is standard grind because the frames are so narrow vertically they can't have the dropped grind. Half the time with them when I'm looking down while walking or going down steps I'm looking under the lense... but my wife liked the way they looked on me.
  • I can sit pretty much normal when watching TV with the dropped grind - larger range of vision in the distance prescrip.
  • I am not the slightest bit vain about my appearance with standard grind bifocals. I care more about the frame shape for my face than the lenses.
I just could not find any good reason to do the progressive grind lense when we sorted out the facts.

Last note again as I have said before. I got Transition lenses for the pair my wife liked (no way I screw with my bike glasses) and found even though they looked really dark they weren't. Before Transitions, I bought prescrip sunglasses and went a few grades darker brown tint than a standard sunglass tint. They work! When I went to bifocal lenses on them they made the tint grey - not as good as the brown. Somehow thye had grey on my account history, but the originals came through brown. I tried the grey, but no way it was as good as the brown for me. But to sum it up, try to test the Transition lense darkness before biting on that hook. I could have saved $60 for the prescrip sunglass lenses had I tried the Transitions in the sun before buying.

The transitions and most sunglasses hit the 30-35% range (mid to lower category 2 light transmission) where my darker lenses hit the 15-20% range (lower category 3 light tranmission), just short of a glacier glasses lense category. That dark tint allows my pupils to open up more under equal conditions when compared to regular sunglasses and far less (if any) squinting in direct sunlight.

To each their own, but that is my logic and I am not a wuss by wearing regular bifocals. It just made sense for my needs.

Mark - klx678

markk53 screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 07:41 AM
Old 03-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #42
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
I'm thinking those who are so vain as to want to avoid looking like they are wearing bifocals are the wousses.

After a full conversation with my optometrist I went with standard grind bifocals. The reasons were pretty straight forward:
  • a progressive lense is exactly that - progressive. The prescription is changing from one point that is correct for reading to the other point where it is correct for distance. That makes all the transition area out of your actual prescription for either condition.
  • The standard bifocal can be set in height relative to your window of vision - we dropped the reading prescrip grind well below where it normally is on a regular lense. This opened up my field of vision when riding and driving as well as just plain walking. While having perfect position when glancing down at instruments
  • standard bifocal grind leaves a range of distance prescrip grind right around the edges - lower periferal view.
  • Only negative to a standard bifocal was having a bit less field of range for reading, I have to raise my head slightly when reading or using a computer. A trade off I was willing to give - plus I have another pair that is standard grind because the frames are so narrow vertically they can't have the dropped grind. Half the time with them when I'm looking down while walking or going down steps I'm looking under the lense... but my wife liked the way they looked on me.
  • I can sit pretty much normal when watching TV with the dropped grind - larger range of vision in the distance prescrip.
  • I am not the slightest bit vain about my appearance with standard grind bifocals. I care more about the frame shape for my face than the lenses.
I just could not find any good reason to do the progressive grind lense when we sorted out the facts.

Last note again as I have said before. I got Transition lenses for the pair my wife liked (no way I screw with my bike glasses) and found even though they looked really dark they weren't. Before Transitions, I bought prescrip sunglasses and went a few grades darker brown tint than a standard sunglass tint. They work! When I went to bifocal lenses on them they made the tint grey - not as good as the brown. Somehow thye had grey on my account history, but the originals came through brown. I tried the grey, but no way it was as good as the brown for me. But to sum it up, try to test the Transition lense darkness before biting on that hook. I could have saved $60 for the prescrip sunglass lenses had I tried the Transitions in the sun before buying.

To each their own, but here is my logic and I am not a wuss by wearing regular bifocals. I am rational.
I glad to hear that. I am waiting for my bi-focals to be finished. I dont care about the line either, I just want to be able to see. The last straw was when I almost got in an accident with another car coming from my extreme left and I never saw him. Scew that, right then and there they came off.
When I'm told "you will get used to Progressives, it could take 5 weeks"
Well, that doesn't sound right to me. Forcing me to adjust to the lens, which it may never do anyway.
Sounds like Progressives are wide open for technological improvement.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #43
BeachMoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
I'm thinking those who are so vain as to want to avoid looking like they are wearing bifocals are the wusses.

To each their own, but that is my logic and I am not a wuss by wearing regular bifocals. It just made sense for my needs.
I agree on the "to each his own" BUT. I have been wearing progressive lenses for years. Did it take me a while to get used to them? Yes, did I like my first pair? No. On a lined bifocal lens you get a much better peripheral vision but the trade off is the mid distance clarity (computer screen viewing distance, for example. The IP area in the picture below).

The other draw back to the progressive lenses is the fact that the amount of lens "wrap" is limited (for wraparound glasses).

Progressive lenses have been around since 1959 and the lens technology has improved a great deal in the past few years. The newer digital progressive lenses (Varilux and a few others make them) provide very natural vision as well as much much smaller peripheral distortion.

I bought a pair of sunglasses with progressive lenses from Zeni Optical just to try and I can tell you the difference between them and my Oakley progressive with the same prescription, is night and day even with much higher wrap on the Oakley pair.

You do get what you pay for in the progressives.

I didn't like a couple of things about lined bifocals, the sudden change from clear to fuzzy when my vision went from upper part to the lower and the line between the lenses (I imagine I would have eventually gotten used to both). But I did like the lower price

One inmate mentioned the location of the transition from distance to reading lens (which should be the vertical location of the pupil in the frame, or the Segment Height). Most mail order outfits use a mathematical equation where the lab takes the different lens dimensions against your prescription and mathematically formulates where your segment height should be. The segment height formula is 95% accurate at best. I always prefer to have this lower by a few mm based on my personal experience (usually around 3-5 mm).
1978 Suzuki 250TS
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
2007 BMW F800ST
2009 BMW R1200GS (Current)
BeachMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #44
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Just got my bi-focals.
Holy fock, what a difference !
Thats the ticket for me. And the line is hardly noticable.
Crizal, HD with Oakly Servo frames.
I'm happy now. Thanks fellas for the experience and input.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #45
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 776
just received my progressive lensed glasses from Jenni Optical, work fine, look good. You take a chance with the frames being what you expect them to actually look like, but that is online business.

Rockydog woofs the isles, British isles
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote