User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
mxdreaming OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
being stationed in S korea

Im on orders to S korea, any members there that are korean? interested in learning the culture while im there and hopefully doing some riding too!
mxdreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:47 AM   #2
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,290
Is your thread also open to non-Koreans in Korea? You kinda made it exclusive...
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,480
Recommend you take language course before you go and while you're there.

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
mrclean28h
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Been there

I did 6 years at Humphreys and road a lot
mrclean28h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
mxdreaming OP
Adventurer

Open to all, need input. Just excited to ride the XRR on another continent and use motorcycling to bridge culture/language barriers wouldn't turn down rides with anyone irregardless of nationality

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

I wish I had brought my WR250r when I came over here rather than my 1200GS. There are plenty of places you can go on a small dual sport. Of course, I get to see lots of places on my GS too due to comfort over distance... At least I have knobbies on it and try to find places to use them.

Do you mean an XR250r by chance?

Got room in your household goods???????????????????????
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
Old 03-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,079
My wife is korean. Hope that helps.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
snorske
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
the road riding here in Korea is amazing. There are literally endless miles of twisties, with some of the most beautiful scenery you can imagine. Mountain roads, coastline curvies, bays and lakes. Its really a paradise of riding. I am in the south where the weather is milder, so the roads are typically in great condition.

There are very few gravel or fire roads to explore though. Small land space combined with many people means nearly all roads are paved. Combined with most flat space being farmed and the majority of space being mountainous, there will be mostly paved curvy roads and steep hiking trails.

The drivers are very conscious of motorcyclists. There are some strange rules such as motorcycles are not allowed on the major freeways. But overall there are little to no rules in respect to motorcycling, as long as you're not an douche.

I might as well warn you, American soldiers get a very bad rap here. Many of it is deserved as well. Drunk 20's idiot meatheads stumbling around and trying to have sex or fight with everything that moves tends to not sit well with locals. Thus most expats and locals try and avoid the soldiers, and you will be refused in many bars/clubs etc. Don't be offended, its just the way it is. Tip - on the weekends try and diversify your friends, including hanging out with some Koreans. It will open up your world 100x fold.

Good luck!
snorske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
mxdreaming OP
Adventurer

SR1, its a XR659R, I'm glad that everyone has positive Korea riding experiences this is giving me hope.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #10
snorske
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
backing up my previous statements, just read this.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/04/wo...html?hpt=hp_t3

I applaud you for wanting to learn about the culture. Please encourage your fellow soliders to do the same, and restrain themselves from being frat boy douchebags - it really makes life for all expats more difficult.
snorske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:39 AM   #11
mxdreaming OP
Adventurer

With the draw down the people with a propensity to accomplish actions that seem like they came out of the movie idiocracy will be out of the army. The army has been getting away from the frat boy mentality but it doesn't happen over night

Old 03-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #12
mxdreaming OP
Adventurer

Correction damn you auto correct XR650R not 659r

Old 03-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Snorske, sounds like we'd get along well, shoot me a PM if you're still on the peninsula.

And yes, MXDreaming, separate yourself from your contemporaries. Unfortunately, I see (very) embarrassing things from the junior enlisted groups nearly every weekend I stay in the city. I take my family away from those areas on the weekends whenever possible.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #14
mxdreaming OP
Adventurer

Which is why me and my wife never stayed in garmisch in the alps and always chose the little guest houses..... When in Rome .... Just can't wait for some kick ass kimchi

Old 03-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #15
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Are you coming with her or alone?