User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2015, 08:04 PM   #1
palada OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Electrical gremlin?

After a short ride through the desert a few weeks ago, the ABS on my 2012 F800GS stopped working. The red light came on and stayed that way even after turning the bike off, parking for a week, etc. I washed the bike in case sand got where it didn't belong and rode some more, and still the ABS didn't work (I confirmed by locking the rear in a safe place). On another ride, the grip heaters stopped working. They started working again after turning the key off/on again.

I changed the battery this weekend because the bike was starting to crank slowly and when I fired it up after, the ABS light was off and it was working again (tested again, to be sure).

It's approaching the end of the warranty, so I will take it to the dealer if this is really something, but I don't want to take them a bike that works perfectly because it *had* an issue. Does anyone know if there may be an issue here still?

TL;DR: had problem, might be OK now, go to dealer before warranty runs out?

Thanks,
palada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:09 AM   #2
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,313
Unless you have access to a GS-911 ... I would FOR SURE take it in while still under warranty and have them check it out.

It may just be weak battery.
The computer will turn off the heated grips if battery is low,
and I think the ABS system "might" disable its self ... not sure on that ....

In any event there should be some stored error codes in the controller that could explain things...

And if the ABS controller is starting to go ... you want that noted on the bike's log BEFORE the warranty expires ;-)

JRWooden screwed with this post 02-03-2015 at 06:22 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:48 AM   #3
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 984
You had to charge the battery, that's a clue. ABS
is sensitive to voltage. Also, these bikes are famous
for frying stators. So, check voltage directly at the
battery terminals with the bike running. You should
see at least 14.2 volts. If so, the bike is charging properly,
and the battery is likely on the way out...
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:43 PM   #4
palada OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the replies guys. I checked the battery voltage before swapping in the new one, and it had good voltage, but it didn't crank well. I forgot to check voltage with the bike running after the swap to confirm the stator's working, but since voltage was fine before, I'm choosing to interpret that as good stator, bad battery (it was 3 yrs old anyway).

As long as they can check a code without charging me some outrageous hourly rate if nothing's wrong, I'll take it to the dealer. I'd hate to pay $100+ for them to say they didn't find anything.

Frankly, if it were only ABS that stopped working, I probably wouldn't fix it until I sell it. I don't really care about ABS too much and it's the only bike I've ever had with it.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #5
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 4,418
Good battery voltage doesn't mean a good battery. You want capacity. Old batteries lose this capacity. If it all works now then ride it, As it was said, a low cranking voltage messes with the computers. Very common to BMW's if not all modern bikes.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
palada OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Since I already had the appointment made, took it to the shop this morning. The guy connected it to his laptop and didn't see any faults from the ABS at all, only the grip warmers. He also confirmed what you guys said - caused by low current from the battery.
Thanks for the replies!