Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #16
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Come on Dok, You really could do better.

If you think that your points with 20K on them are working as good as new, great. Good for you. At that rate, you probably will never ever have to replace them. I am certain that a lot of people would love to know your special secret.

Under normal circumstances, points will deteriorate due to normal arcing of the spark as well as wear of the cam rub block. Also, the condenser will slowly stop being able to work at optimum performance. And with any mechanical points that are in moved back and forth basically held in place by a spring, they will go out of alignment. And eventually that little spring will eventually lose it's tension. It is just normal wear and tear that has been around ever since points systems were invented.

All that being said, I really doubt that SS wants everybody to change to electronic. I think that it is more that electronic will usually result in less maintenance required, and better performance. Both his and my preference is electronic. But, there is nothing wrong with using points. I did not see anything in his post stating that everyone that currently is running points, should or has to change to electronic.

I think it comes down to personal preference. We would rather have electronic that we are comfortable with relying on. Easy set up and way less maintenance equals more time to be out riding or doing other things that we enjoy.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #17
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,534
I'm a points fan, especially with a Dyna booster that turns the points into just a trigger and they do last much longer. Simple and easy to diagnose if you have issues. Plus I like original and like to tinker. If I wanted everything upgraded I'd buy a new bike. I haven't seen any issues with points quality lately including non norris which I assume is chinese unless someone else is making them. The early chinese ones had a too long rubbing block and they just couldn't be set and timed correctly. That's been fixed. Points are not rocket science, been around a long time for better or worse.

www.northwoodsairheads.com
www.jefftrappwindsors.com

"Between two explanations, choose the clearest; between two forms,
the most elementary; between two expressions, the shortest."
Between two motorcycles the simplest (DW)
Eugeni d' Ors (1881-1954); Spanish writer.

jtwind screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 05:51 AM
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #18
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind View Post
I'm a points fan, especially with a booster that turns the points into just a trigger and they do last much longer. Simple and easy to diagnose if you have issues.
Points are not rocket science, been around a long time for better or worse.
Exactly. The booster shuts down points contact wear dramatically, cutting maintenance only to occasional checking of gap. Keep the rubbing block properly lubed and the rate of wear is very low. I have checked these twice in the last 6k miles and no adjustment was necessary, just a dab of lube and on down the road.

Kettering ignitions served everyone for around a hundred years. And I have seen many hundreds of condensers over 30 years old and function nominal.

And by the way, as to performance of 20k miles points, I get 48 to 54 mpg on the highway with my 79 RS. Indeed, proof of the highly refined tuning my background allows me with ease. The DIY'er who prefers the least possible maintenace and shuns the need to learn procedures should of course avoid anything mechanical and rely upon the "no maintenance" claims of the charlatans selling the wizbang aftermarket goods. You will get "huge increase in power, big gains in mpg, and every spark will send a prayer to Shiva", if you believe it.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #19
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
And my 1981 completely stock R100RT, still with the original electronic ignition, averages 45MPG when ridden hard and fully loaded, and into 50-55 MPG when ridden like a normal semi sane person. I used to check the ignition system every year, but have not done so for the past 6 years in which I have done approx. 85,000 miles. But, it still runs fine. Maybe I will check the ignition system in a few more years.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #20
walkingbear OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,353
solution

I have order 4 sets of points. 4 booster . I have 3 pre 80's airheads that I am restoring. I will keep one spare set put away with the R90s parts.

I have an 81 RT and a 83 R80GS that are runners, one R100GS and R100mystic that are projects.

This should keep me busy for the next few years. Lucky I'm semi retired
Rosso Mandello V11 , 2014 R nine T
walkingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #21
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall View Post
Come on Dok, You really could do better.

If you think that your points with 20K on them are working as good as new, great. Good for you. At that rate, you probably will never ever have to replace them. I am certain that a lot of people would love to know your special secret.

Under normal circumstances, points will deteriorate due to normal arcing of the spark as well as wear of the cam rub block. Also, the condenser will slowly stop being able to work at optimum performance. And with any mechanical points that are in moved back and forth basically held in place by a spring, they will go out of alignment. And eventually that little spring will eventually lose it's tension. It is just normal wear and tear that has been around ever since points systems were invented.

All that being said, I really doubt that SS wants everybody to change to electronic. I think that it is more that electronic will usually result in less maintenance required, and better performance. Both his and my preference is electronic. But, there is nothing wrong with using points. I did not see anything in his post stating that everyone that currently is running points, should or has to change to electronic.

I think it comes down to personal preference. We would rather have electronic that we are comfortable with relying on. Easy set up and way less maintenance equals more time to be out riding or doing other things that we enjoy.
You are right DB but you aren't constantly making up things I say and spreading personal lies about me either. That and accusing me of what he is up to but that is what swift boaters do.
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #22
daveoneshot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Ok, I've had enough. My '78 R 100/7 has had a Dyna 111 installed in it since
purchase in 2004. After reading this cool thread I started to worry about the electronic goodies so I started digging into my old boxes and 'lo and behold there they were : all the points, the backing plates, an advance unit, the rubber tubes, little screws, everything. Even a bent single feeler gauge for the gap. Being an electrical moron, I printed out the directions for the Dyna unit and that goes in the tupperware box with all the points parts....in case I have to reverse back to stock. Now I can sleep.
daveoneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #23
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoneshot View Post
Ok, I've had enough. My '78 R 100/7 has had a Dyna 111 installed in it since
purchase in 2004. After reading this cool thread I started to worry about the electronic goodies so I started digging into my old boxes and 'lo and behold there they were : all the points, the backing plates, an advance unit, the rubber tubes, little screws, everything. Even a bent single feeler gauge for the gap. Being an electrical moron, I printed out the directions for the Dyna unit and that goes in the tupperware box with all the points parts....in case I have to reverse back to stock. Now I can sleep.
Good idea!! Especially the directions. Had a buddy last fall whose r100s quit on the road. He could have used them, finally figured out the pickup on the dyna had slipped on the end of the cam. He got it close enough with some experimentation and got home.

www.northwoodsairheads.com
www.jefftrappwindsors.com

"Between two explanations, choose the clearest; between two forms,
the most elementary; between two expressions, the shortest."
Between two motorcycles the simplest (DW)
Eugeni d' Ors (1881-1954); Spanish writer.

jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #24
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorT View Post
Exactly. The booster shuts down points contact wear dramatically, cutting maintenance only to occasional checking of gap. Keep the rubbing block properly lubed and the rate of wear is very low. I have checked these twice in the last 6k miles and no adjustment was necessary, just a dab of lube and on down the road.

Kettering ignitions served everyone for around a hundred years. And I have seen many hundreds of condensers over 30 years old and function nominal.

And by the way, as to performance of 20k miles points, I get 48 to 54 mpg on the highway with my 79 RS. Indeed, proof of the highly refined tuning my background allows me with ease. The DIY'er who prefers the least possible maintenace and shuns the need to learn procedures should of course avoid anything mechanical and rely upon the "no maintenance" claims of the charlatans selling the wizbang aftermarket goods. You will get "huge increase in power, big gains in mpg, and every spark will send a prayer to Shiva", if you believe it.
At first I just thought you were talking about me again. What '. . . charlatans selling the wizbang after market goods' are you talking about? BMW? Motorrad Electric? Silent Hetik? (sp?) Who is making those claims? I have seen them minus the words 'huge' and 'big' but . . . .
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote