User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
FJR_ski OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Mc Carty Road, Alaska on FJR

Has anyone been on McCarty Road in Alaska going to Kennicott?
Is this something FJR can handle?

Thanks,
FJR_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:08 AM   #2
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,698
I/we did the road year before last in a beater rental car/SUV & when I was trying to rent a car many AK companies will not rent for that road. I also read lots of stuff telling how horrible it is. They're out of tune with reality of that road. To ad perspective to my description I'll throw in that I'm from KS & have traveled many thousands of miles on gravel roads there-some good some needed grading or new rock & actually quite a few dirt roads there too. I found the McCarthy to be just another gravel road & a decent one at that & I would not give a second thought to doing it on a road bike. A dirt bike or GS is not needed!
It is mostly built over an old RR track route and apparently there was a time when the old rails & ties would stick up more than nowdays and destroy tires. While it's possible to see those remnants, they're basically gone & a non factor. Go & enjoy the area. The small town is sort of neat but not excitingly so. The old mine & glacier are the fun places to explore. Actually getting into the mtns there is quite a trek or a pricey flight. They're "right there" but it's not like it's an easy entry trail head here & there. There are other parts of AK that I like much better & would never return there. So, if you gotta go there go, but the roads a non factor.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,507
The road is better maintained these days for the tour busses that travel it.

But four years ago in THIS ride report, as found in my sig line, I wrote that previously I'd turned around 3 times in a 4 wheeled vehicle after 15mi of some of the roughest road I'd ever been on.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
FJR_ski OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Thanks for the info.

The only reason why I was asking about the road, is because I want to hike this trail:
http://www.wrangellsteliaspark.com/f...all/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
The road is better maintained these days for the tour busses that travel it.

But four years ago in THIS ride report, as found in my sig line, I wrote that previously I'd turned around 3 times in a 4 wheeled vehicle after 15mi of some of the roughest road I'd ever been on.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
FJR_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
I have done the road twice and found that it was a great ride, but I do have one of those railroad spikes sitting on my fireplace hearth that came directly from the road. Just have fun but look for the spikes because they are still out there and being turned up by the traffic.

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote