User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
Nunzi OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
1975 DT100 - Should I get it?!

he says it's in nice shape, starts and runs, always garaged, less than 1,300 original miles. Asking $900, said he'd take 700, and all it really needs is the rear tire replaced. I read through a couple other threads saying these are only worth $350 tops, but this one seems pretty clean. It would be a fun toy for trail and around town for me, but a beginner bike for my girlfriend, who's 5'8". It'd be my first two stroke ever. I know we won't be sure until I check it out for myself. What do you think, worth it?

Nunzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:00 AM   #2
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,346
If , before you've even looked at it, he's told you he'd come down $200, I'd bet he go down more. They're nice bikes, and that looks like a good example.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
Nunzi OP
Adventurer

hmmmm

This is weird - in one of the forums I read I remember somebody stated the blue book value of this guy is $250, I just looked at it myself and KBB.com says it's $910. There goes some of my bargaining power I thought I had, but I'm going to go look at it this evening anyway.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Bugsy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
I'd give $700 for it but go over there with cash and offer $500 and go from there. That looks nice and those are fun, little bikes!!!
Bugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Highside>Lowside
Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer: 890
If it is titled in his name, the tank is dent and rust free, and he has the rear signals, then $700, tops.
Highside>Lowside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,060
Bring a compression gage. These have been overheated, run out of oil and run without a proper air filter since they were new. The rest were well treated, and are durable as hell.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
seven4eight
rat-bike connoisseur

Oddometer: 44
Dad brought one home when I was 9. Beat the shit out of it for 7 years, jumping anything I could find, etc. Other than keeping chain lubed and such it never failed to crank on the first or second kick. It never even had a battery in it, it def never had the top end done. Prob still out there somewhere.....
seven4eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside>Lowside View Post
If it is titled in his name, the tank is dent and rust free, and he has the rear signals, then $700, tops.
+1

i probably wouldn't even go that high, unless for some odd reason i really needed a dt100. they are pretty tough little motors though.
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Nunzi OP
Adventurer

So I went to look at the bike last night, I get there turns out the directionals and headlight aren't operational and it's not kicking over or staying running once it starts. Dude's like 'that's weird cuz I just had it running fine this afternoon' so, apprehensive about what I might be getting myself into I offer 500 - thinking what if its just a spark plug and carb clean or something, I'm sure y'all will probably say 500 is a stupid high offer since it didn't present as reliable, and I would agree with you - and he accepts. He gets the title out (he's in Washington, I'm from oregon and intend to register it for the street here) and the title says right on it "Not eligible for road use." So I decided to hold off and I'm going to go in person to an Oregon DMV today to give them the scoop on this bike and see if that mark in WA necessarily disqualifies it in OR. It's originally meant as a dual purpose and has directionals and everything, so I don't know. I'm also not totally confident that it won't be a nightmare to get running smoothly being that I've never owned or ridden a two stroke and my mechanical aptitudes are limited. though I understand bikes like this are pretty simple to work on and I have buddies who can help with any complex stuff. So: A) registering a 1975 two stroke enduro in OR when the WA title says "Not for the road," B) getting a 1975 two stroke enduro to run smoothly and reliably and C) wishing I'd started the bidding a touch lower than 500 in the first place since it didn't seem to be running at the time. That's what it is.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
Nunzi OP
Adventurer

Update

Dude at the DMV Said it's unlikely they'll register it in Oregon if the wa title says not for road use, but there's a very lengthy process I could undertake including getting a letter from the manufacturer stating its purpose as a road bike when it was made, etc, etc. so it's a no-go for my girlfriend's first bike but now I just have to think if I want to have it around for a little trail ripper... Hmm ...
Old 02-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
Highside>Lowside
Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer: 890
Walk away. Did the VIN on the title even match the bike?

d00d is a shyster; wait for a cheap TW200.
Highside>Lowside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #12
dsilver1007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
sounds like its not worth the hassle and not what you were hoping it would be in the first place.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #13
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 2,970
While I agree that the bike likely isn't worth the $500, getting the letter from the manufacturerer was a breeze for me on my '79 Kawasaki KM100. (Factory street legal minicycle) I made six trips to the DMV where they kept screwing me around. I finally emailed Kawasaki. The guy who got my email wrote me back in no time. He emailed the certificate but the DMV wanted an original. (another trip) He then mailed an original. With some luck, other companies will do the same. I did a write up on the entire deal. I'll look for the link.
On a side note, those are nice little bikes. My friend has restored a bunch of old 2 strokes. That kind of poor running has been crank seals more than a few times. They are a big PIA to replace.

edit- here's the link. Post 25 shows what a help Kawasaki was with the DMV.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672535

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,208
i bought a DT125 in complete but non-running condition for $300 just a year or two ago. Not running reliably or questionable registration should defer you from paying $500. Give the guy some time and he will either call you back or you will find another one. there are tons out there!

Cool bikes though, hardly 2-strokes; They dont have quite the hit of modern 2T's
Old 03-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
CharlieT
old school

Oddometer: 1,549
Condition is everything. If the tank is straight and clean, no tears in seat, fenders straight and dent free, chrome not rusted or pitted....and it runs and is ride-able with a clear title, then that is easily a $700 bike. If in the condition I describe, I'd sit it out in my shop at $900 and take $700 for it. Sold a '75 DT175 in excellent condition for $900 last year.

First thing you want to do is a compression check. If compression is down, that drops the price dramatically, as for some of these '60's-'70's bikes the parts are getting harder and harder to find. The most common problem with them is the carb needs rebuilding. Small displacement engines have very small jets, especially the pilot. Doesn't take much varnish, etc to plug them up.

Prices vary considerable by what part of the country your in. And like I said condition is everything. I've seen more than my share of bikes similar in size & style to that one and the guy comes in and says he only paid $250-350 dollars for his and he asks why we want $700. Well...his $300 bike was a $300 bike....few little dings here and there, a little tear in the seat, a big filter in the gas line to catch the rust from the tank, rusted areas of paint chips on the frame....you get the picture. Still ran, but it was a 50ft'er, if you know what I mean.

THere are a lot of folks that grew up riding those bikes when they were kids and now want one and are willing to pay for a good clean example, but they don't want a 50ft'er. THe other thing, is nearly 90% of the folks on the internet when it comes to commenting on what they paid for something will proclaim dirt-cheap prices.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910

CharlieT screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 02:43 PM
CharlieT is online now   Reply With Quote