Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
Newby Rider OP
dboisclair

Oddometer: 14
Batopilas, Chihuahua, Mexico

Hi All
My wife and I are fairly seasoned travellers and we've done some long trips in Mexico on our bike but never any gravel roads. We're riding to Creel in the Copper Canyon next month and we're thinking it would be a shame to go all that way but not see Batopilas. Our options are take an overnight tour or, since we'll have out bike anyway, ride down.
As some background, we'll be two-up on heavily loaded DL650 and we're 53 and 61 respectively. I ride a lot but almost all of it on pavement and my wife comes with me for at least a week each year.

What I'm wondering about is the road conditions down to Batopilas. I know it's gravel but how well graded etc.? My initial thought is if a combi bus with seven tourists can drive down we should be able to make it on a VStrom but sometimes discretion is the better part of valour.

If anyone has any recent first hand knowledge we'd be VERY interested in hearing your take on things.
Much thanks
Dale
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even if checkered by failure, that to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat."
Newby Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,295
Without going into all the reasons why, you're probably not going to want to take your precious cargo to Bato under the current circumstances of road construction on the main route from Creel. Saludos, Jim
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:02 AM   #3
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Any intel on the Guachochi to Batopilas route? This is the alternate route, I believe, that many are using during the construction.

I am planning to ride Creel-Guachochi-Parral which is all pavement. If the route to Batopilas from Guachochi is easily managed it would be a shame to not make the side trip. My machine is an 800XC, lightly loaded, running 90/10 tires.

Baja http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863001
Oaxaca http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866523
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:44 AM   #4
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Although I haven't ridden the entire Guachochi to Batopilas route, I have been on the portion closest to Batopilas, several times. Last time was March 2013. Always on a KLR 1-up. Road conditions change drastically depending on traffic, construction & rain (they've had lots of rain in the Canyons causing washouts etc.)

Drop KustomizingKid a PM. He just rode out of Bato to Guachochi a month or so ago.

Sleddog
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:44 AM   #5
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaDigger View Post
I am planning to ride Creel-Guachochi-Parral which is all pavement. If the route to Batopilas from Guachochi is easily managed it would be a shame to not make the side trip. My machine is an 800XC, lightly loaded, running 90/10 tires.
In league with the route to Las Grutas de Tolantongo, which you've already done, would be my guess
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
jimmex
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaDigger View Post
Any intel on the Guachochi to Batopilas route? This is the alternate route, I believe, that many are using during the construction.

Some other riders on 800cc bikes did this route and reported it was passable but not easy. IF it rains or is expected to rain, I would not try it as I know of one fellow rider who got stuck down in Bato for a couple days and had to hire a pick-up to get him back out. Suerte, JIm
Old 02-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #7
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Without going into all the reasons why, you're probably not going to want to take your precious cargo to Bato under the current circumstances of road construction on the main route from Creel. Saludos, Jim
After consulting with KustomizingKid I would concur with Jimmex. Me on the other hand, I can try it, and since it would be in and out anyway, I could return to Guachochi at any point.

Wisdom from my guru: Don't ride anything you don't feel like you can ride back.

Newby Rider, the paved road from Creel to Guachochi gets rave reviews. Maybe that's a day trip.

Baja http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863001
Oaxaca http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866523
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #8
jimmex
Rider

I wanna go.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer: 357
I was in Batopilas in November. The usual road was not open because of a landslide, but even without that it was only open in the early morning and late evening because of the construction. Mots people heading to Batopilas were using the road from Guachochi, including the tour operators. I was riding single on a GS with knobbies. I would not recommend taking the Guachochi road two up, even for an experienced rider.

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Blind Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
jimmex
Rider

There you go.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #11
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,144
I did the Batopilas Guachochi road in November as well. I would not recommend it to someone riding two up AND new to dirt. I was on a 950SE and it wasn't hard but I ride off road a lot. There are some marbly switchbacks and due to rain the day before, there were some mudholes as well. Much better to learn dirt AND two up riding on a road where there aren't 100'+ drop offs for much of the way.

As for Creel to Batopilas, forget it. It was supposedly open after 5:00 pm til 7:00 am but i rode right up to the closure, and I doubt they got it open that night based on the con(de)struction I saw. The people I talked with in town seemed to feel the same.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,390
Track?

Anybody have a track for the Guachoci/Batopilas route. Planning on trying it in a few weeks on my 1150GS 1 up
Old 02-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #13
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Anybody have a track for the Guachoci/Batopilas route. Planning on trying it in a few weeks on my 1150GS 1 up
Sorry - I accidentally deleted my tracks. However, the Bicimapas program can route from Batopilas to Guachochi if you happen to have access to that.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #14
Tury
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Warrior View Post
I was in Batopilas in November. The usual road was not open because of a landslide, but even without that it was only open in the early morning and late evening because of the construction. Mots people heading to Batopilas were using the road from Guachochi, including the tour operators. I was riding single on a GS with knobbies. I would not recommend taking the Guachochi road two up, even for an experienced rider.
As Guero from Texas said: " There you go", all is said, you wife can take the tour van and you follow it, also from the city of Chihuahua run 2 vans ; one departs from Bato, the other from Chihuahua that transport persons ( more or less 12 , these are not tourist vans, since the zig-zag curves are to tight for a normal bus, only from Monday to Friday) carry mail,small packages,etc, this is another option for your wife.
Tury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #15
Newby Rider OP
dboisclair

Oddometer: 14
Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone. We're riding from Gold Canyon AZ to Creel, leaving here on Mar 27th. I have to work until noon so Thu will only be as far as Agua Prieta. Fri we'll ride to Chihuahua and on Sat we'll do a short day to Creel and should get there early afternoon. Our plan is to stay in Creel three nights and do some hiking/sight seeing as long as it's not raining. If the weather is good and the road is open we've decided to take a tour down because it would be a shame to miss it but after hearing from all of you and looking at some of the You Tube posts we won't be riding. My wife is a trooper but she's in her early 60's and the risk of taking a tumble, even at slow speeds, just isn't worth the risk. From Creel it'll be two days back to AZ via the route through Hermosillo.
Thanks again
Cheers
Dale
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even if checkered by failure, that to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat."
Newby Rider is offline   Reply With Quote