Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #16
dajuice OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyspuds View Post
Hey, not sure what I am doing wrong but the map is just a big white square. The waypoints imported just fine though. Do I need to do something else withing Basecamp to see the map?
I'm not in a place where I can get to a computer for a day or so and don't know basecamp real well. Have you tried to zoom in or set the detail level to highest?
Old 11-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #17
groovyspuds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Briefly, yeah but I haven't gone at it hard yet. I am going to work on it tonight and see what I can figure. No big hurry, just getting started on the map work for the trip in March.

I appreciate all the work you put into this though. I am pretty good with computers and such so if you need some help I'll put my offer out there.

Michael
groovyspuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #18
groovyspuds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Ok, got the map working now. Is it true that you can't overlay this map in Basecmap only in the GPS. I swear Garmin is trying as hard as they can to drive people away....

M
groovyspuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #19
dajuice OP
Adventurer

It is true that you can only show one map product in basecamp at a time as far as I'm aware. Did you get the map to show anything except a white square in basecamp? If not, there is a detail level toolbar you get by going to tools - toolbars - detail level. Turn up the detail level until you see something on the map. I just set mine to highest. By default Basecamp is set to medium and you won't see anything on this map on that setting until you are zoomed into 15 miles.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #20
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Which base map?

Kinda new to this stuff. Do you guys recommend purchase of a base map? If so, which one? I have the City Navigator which includes Mexico. I have been looking at the Garmin/Bici Topo map. Using Montana, travelling to CC and then to Baja and back north to AZ. Big bikes so only mild dirt this trip. Although I would like to get topo or something for future small bike trips to Baja. I am familiar with the 24k topos for the US.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #21
dajuice OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
Do you guys recommend purchase of a base map?
The maps you can buy SUCK! That is why we put the effort into this. Based on what you describe, I recommend using the OSM maps of Mexico as where you are going is a larger area than covered by this map. A crew just got back from a mostly pavement trip through the canyon and down to Mazetlan using the OSM maps and the reviews are good. I've not used them yet but my next trip to the canyons I'll have this map and the OSM on my GPS. I've overlayed this map on the OSM maps and they have nearly every road I do, although the maps don't agree everywhere, probably because their is so much road construction and mining going on that move the roads.

Here is a link to the maps I'd recommend using for your trip. They are complied daily from OSM.
http://mapas.alternativaslibres.es/downloads.php

Here is a link to the thread from my friends that just returned:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=939854

You can see the difference in where Garmin's basemap thinks the roads are compared to where they actually are in the photo in this post: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=13

I do recommend having a paper map with you also just in case something goes wrong with your GPS. I carry the Guia Roji (there are english and spanish versions, I have the spanish and it is quite a bit cheaper).
Old 12-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #22
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Mapas

Thanks. I was able to download the map and route from Batopilas to El Fuerte. It sends me south from Botopilas through Choix, on what it calls a "residential" road. I will work on overlaying your maps/routes.

I was thinking that a route from Batopilas through Urique to El Fuerte was recommended for big bikes.

Thanks again--very helpful!
Old 12-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #23
dajuice OP
Adventurer

I have not rode most of the stretch from Batopilas to El Fuerte that Garmin is sending you on, just the piece that is closest to Bato then we turned north at Tubares. What I do remember was big bike friendly. The route that you'd take from Bato to Urique is a new road. I think it was finished in 2010. It is the 1st turn to the west shown north of Bato. It would be a challenge on a big bike depending on what the conditions are now. cwc's milage chart says it is 7 hours / 46 miles from Bato to Urique that way (17 miles straight line distance) so pretty slow going and we are on smaller bikes like WR's, DRZ's and KLR's but we do stop and smell the roses a lot. I'm not trying to scare you away, if you have the skills to pilot the bike on a challenging road, I'd say go for it as the scenery up there is fantastic. I just wanted to make sure you were aware it is one of the more challenging routes in the canyon. I did it in 2012 and the switchbacks were being graded the same day we were riding so it was loose, unpredictable soil. Hopefully someone has done it more recently and can give you a better report. If you don't do it on the big bike, make sure you do it on the smaller bikes. That is one of the roads I'm really looking forward to again in March.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #24
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

I'm confused. The route I got was from the free Garmin map site you referenced. That route goes generally southwest from Batopilas to Croix then El Fuerte. We are good dirt riders but not looking for a challenge on the big bikes. I have no preference as to Croix or Urique. Just looking for a way to El Fuerte with minimal drama, preferably not going back north through Creel.

Thanks very much!
Old 12-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #25
dajuice OP
Adventurer

I was responding to your comment here when I was talking about Urique.
Quote:
I was thinking that a route from Batopilas through Urique to El Fuerte was recommended for big bikes.
My point was that route would be a challenge on a big bike and the way Garmin (with the OSM maps) is sending you is more big bike friendly. Either way you'd go through Choix.

dajuice screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 06:26 PM
dajuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #26
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks! Got it now
Old 12-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #27
beemer67
Really Old airhead

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Thanks. I was able to download the map and route from Batopilas to El Fuerte. It sends me south from Botopilas through Choix, on what it calls a "residential" road. I will work on overlaying your maps/routes.

Thanks again--very helpful!
Batoplias to Choix to El Fuerte (204 kms) is OK on a big bike (well I think my BMW G/S 80 is big enough) Especially now the bridge is there before Tubares.

Not sure how you would include Urique in the middle of the other two towns in a route. I agree with dajuice that the route north through Mesa de Arturo is more of a challenge, but I went through during roads works as well at the end of 2010.

Also I make Batopilas - Tubares to Mesa de Arturo to Urique as 147 kms so doable in a day.

beemer67 screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 10:23 PM
beemer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #28
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,656
You do realize that you can contribute your tracks to OSM? And even edit the OSM map too...

Many hands make light work.

Warin screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 11:00 PM
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #29
dajuice OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
You do realize that you can contribute your tracks to OSM? And even edit the OSM map too...

Many hands make light work.
Yep, and they are. Another inmate took the tracks I did have and put them on there a year ago. Some of them are missing because I don't have all of the tracks that made up the map originally since I inherited this project. I understand it is easy to do and when I do get more tracks that is my plan. Eventually I see this project dying but for the near term I like having my maps that are tracks I know exist vs the OSM that could be some guy just tracing google earth for where he thinks the road is.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #30
dajuice OP
Adventurer

2013 Update

I have finished the updates to the maps based on the last years worth of intel I've received. There is no longer a waypoints file included as I've moved all the waypoints onto the map itself, so now if you want to go to a town you search for it just like you would any other town when using maps you purchase from Garmin. The map is still not routable so it will still just point you in the direction of your destination and not follow the roads... That was still too much work. To download the maps go to my website linked below.

http://dajuice.net/maps/copper-canyon-mx/

6 weeks from today we'll be heading south another go ourselves