Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2014, 09:04 AM   #31
dajuice OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
It never fails, as soon as I publish I find an error. The POI index was not created so even though the towns were showing on the map, many of them would not come up when you searched for them! I found the errors of my ways and have updated the file on my site. The version of this update is 2013 v002.

http://dajuice.net/maps/copper-canyon-mx/

Let me know if you find any more errors and I'll do my best to get them corrected before your trip.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #32
Tury
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Bato to El Fuerte

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
I'm confused. The route I got was from the free Garmin map site you referenced. That route goes generally southwest from Batopilas to Croix then El Fuerte. We are good dirt riders but not looking for a challenge on the big bikes. I have no preference as to Croix or Urique. Just looking for a way to El Fuerte with minimal drama, preferably not going back north through Creel.

Thanks very much!
Once again ; shortest way to El Fuerte from Batopilas is...RODEO...TUBARES...CHOIX ,less demanding for maxitrail bikes.

Tips for information; don´t ask for distance ( only to mininig pickups; they carry color banners--flags usualy newwhite Toyota-Mitsubishi´s ),locals will say in time , that is hours, so point at a pickup they are riding, how much time will they do on théir´s ,they asume we are Stephan Peterhansel riders ! ( 5-7 Dakar motorcycle champ, 4-5 on 4 wheels !!
Tury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #33
BigBeemerBob
Just call me "Beemer Bob"

Oddometer: 103
confused

I dont understand how to get your map installed.

I downloaded and installed but from basecamp I dont see your map as one of my map choices.

Gan you please give me a little guidance Thanks
Old 01-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #34
dajuice OP
Adventurer

Sorry for the troubles. It is fun working work Garmin's #@$%.

Are you using a PC? If you are using a Mac the install file won't work, but I have instructions on how to make it work, just no Mac to test it on.

If you are on a PC, are you using the latest version? Earlier versions of Basecamp apparently didn't allow maps that did not have elevation data so make sure you are using the latest version.

Help -> Check for software update.

Do you also have mapsource installed? I heard that for a while mapsource also had to be installed. If you don't, uninstall the maps, install mapsource then re-install the maps.

Another thought, did you have basecamp open when you were installing the map? If so uninstall and reinstall with basecamp closed.

If none of this works, download MapSetToolKit and see if you can see the maps there.

Have you checked you list of installed programs, this map will how up as Copper Canyon Maps 2013 v002 in the list (the place you go in the control panel to uninstall programs)?
Old 01-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #35
BigBeemerBob

Garmin Grrrr

No success. :-(

I am using a PC. It's a new to me PC so I just recently installed basecamp.

I am familiar with mapsource but apparently that product is no longer available and I am forced to use basecamp. mapsource made sense, basecamp does not. I hate it

Anyway, I uninstalled your map and then re-installed before opening basecamp. But I don't see your maps.

I also noticed that I don't have any maps unless my Garmin is attached (that sucks btw). Am I supposed to install the copper canyon map to the gps directly? If so, how?

I looked at the other product you recommended "mapsettoolkit" seems to now just be source code for sale. Well above my skill level.

have I mentioned that I hate basecamp?

You had mentioned a few post back that you were 6 weeks out from returning to copper canyon. When are you planning your next trip?

BigBeemerBob screwed with this post 01-30-2014 at 08:26 AM
BigBeemerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:49 AM   #36
groovyspuds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Awesome work! I am getting back to planning this week as we jump off in March. Do you know how to make stuff routable? I may be interested in doing that....

M
groovyspuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:00 AM   #37
dajuice OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeemerBob View Post
I also noticed that I don't have any maps unless my Garmin is attached (that sucks btw). Am I supposed to install the copper canyon map to the gps directly? If so, how?

I looked at the other product you recommended "mapsettoolkit" seems to now just be source code for sale. Well above my skill level.

have I mentioned that I hate basecamp?

You had mentioned a few post back that you were 6 weeks out from returning to copper canyon. When are you planning your next trip?
I also hate basecamp. You can still find install files of mapsource it is just a little tricky... Here it is.

here is the direct link to the actual program for MapSetToolKit
https://sites.google.com/site/cypher...attredirects=0

I think there is a way to get a map from your PC to the GPS without using mapsource or basecamp but I've never tried it. Does anyone else know how?

As to our trip. I'll be down there with a group for 2 weeks starting the 2nd weekend in March. If you mean the next trip... TBD, I'd like to get down there every other year but there are so many good places to ride that we'll see.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #38
dajuice OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyspuds View Post
Awesome work! I am getting back to planning this week as we jump off in March. Do you know how to make stuff routable? I may be interested in doing that....
M
I do know how to make it routable, at least I have the instruction on how to do it, but everything has to be perfect. I spent a lot of time cleaning them up for this release in hopes of just that. One thing that challenges me about auto routing is the name of the roads.. There are no signs down there and when there are, I don't remember what it was called so what to I call the Road. Lately I've just been calling it "the road that goes from AAA to BBB"!

The OSM maps are routable and are getting damn good now that someone took these tracks and put them on there. I'm seriously considering blowing off this project in favor of updating the OSM myself in the future. CWC and I were talking about that the last IMS show in MN. I'm sure we'll be discussing the future of these maps when we are down there in March. I have the OSM maps and these maps on my Montana. I'm going to try running around with the OSM to see how much I like them.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #39
BigBeemerBob

Thank you for your efforts. Now Ive got napsource, but with no maps at all. Grrr.

I guess this was just not meant to be for me. I'm going to look for some paper maps instead.

BTW, I hate basecamp.

I purchased the lifetime North America maps from Garmin. I thought Mexico was part of North America, so why am I having to fight this.

BTW, I hate Garmin.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:11 AM   #40
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
The Mexico maps included with City Navigator aren't worth much. The Open Street Maps OSM are what you want. I have been struggling with the change from MS to BC too. Finally getting somewhere.

If you want some help I will be home next week. just let know
Old 01-31-2014, 08:43 PM   #41
groovyspuds
Adventurer

Ok, cool - maps look good. Now I need an itinerary.....

Any recommendations? We will be down there for about a week. We are on 990's but we beat them like the Austrian sluts they are so we enjoy the challenges. We know nothing of the area and are just guessing right now.

I see you will be in the area then as well! We leave LA on March 9 I think.

Mike
Old 02-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #42
dajuice OP
Adventurer

I'd say hit up Creel, Urique and Batopilas. Just make sure you get good intel on how to get to Batopilas right now. We normally head from Creel down to Bato but we'll either be coming in from the west or south this year due to road construction on the road from the north and the bridge that washed out on the new road between Urique and Bato.

I have not been to the Sinforosa Canyon yet but I plan on making that happen this year. I have no idea where we are going to be when right now. I'm just along for the ride. When I asked CWC about plans he told me that is what the RV ride down to Texas is for
Old 02-01-2014, 05:16 PM   #43
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,142
Hey gang,
I was down in Copper Canyon in November. Did a small write up which can be read at

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=jonz

We did Alamos to Chinipas, Temoris, Urique, Batopilas, and out through Guachochi
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #44
groovyspuds
Adventurer

Hey daJuice,

Do you have all this stuff in tracks or routes? Not being able to overlay in BaseCamp (Garmin blows) is a real pain and I could do it if everything was in tracks/routes. I have the Mexico Topo map so it would be nice for planning.

Thanks..

Mike
Old 02-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #45
dajuice OP
Adventurer

jonz, thx, I just read it. I hear the bridge just north of Bato on the new road between Urique and Bato washed out in the December rains. I'm really hoping they get that open again as that is one of the roads I was looking forward to riding again. You might have been one of the last ADVers to ride it considering you didn't see anyone else down there!

Spudz, I can send you the tracks I have, PM me with your email. They are nowhere near complete so don't know if they will be any help. To edit the maps, I compare each years new tracks to the current map so I never have a complete set of tracks.