Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #46
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajuice View Post
jonz, thx, I just read it. I hear the bridge just north of Bato on the new road between Urique and Bato washed out in the December rains. I'm really hoping they get that open again as that is one of the roads I was looking forward to riding again. You might have been one of the last ADVers to ride it considering you didn't see anyone else down there!
Is this the bridge you're talking about?

This is upriver a couple/few miles from Batopilas. The road behind Max is the one that leads up over the ridge to Urique
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #47
dajuice OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
That's it. My intel is from Tury. We are going to be getting to Bato from the west or south in March and spend a day or two doing day trips. I was going to head up stream and see for myself. I'd be temped to forge the river to get on that road but don't remember how deep/fast it is. I've crossed that river in Satevo, but every other crossing on that river I know of has a bridge which tells me it is deep.

Another bridge that Tury tells us is out is the one just south of Urique that is brand new. If it is in the area I'm thinking it was a river crossing when I was there in 2012 but it was sometimes too high to cross depending on how much rain they had received recently.

I'll keep posting intel about the status here as I receive it.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #48
groovyspuds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Dajuice - no worries, I think I can figure a way to merge the two maps into a third map that displays everything. If I get that done i will post it....

Mike
groovyspuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #49
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Quote:
Another bridge that Tury tells us is out is the one just south of Urique that is brand new. If it is in the area I'm thinking it was a river crossing when I was there in 2012 but it was sometimes too high to cross depending on how much rain they had received recently.
I rode across that bridge on Nov. 20 and it wasn't even complete then. No 4 wheel vehicles could have made it across as there was a drop off on the far side. Must have been a substantial flood as that bridge seemed to be pretty well constructed. What a bummer.
STOC #326 IBA #217
Old 02-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #50
beemer67
Really Old airhead

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
That's it. My intel is from Tury. We are going to be getting to Bato from the west or south in March and spend a day or two doing day trips. I was going to head up stream and see for myself. I'd be temped to forge the river to get on that road but don't remember how deep/fast it is..
I don't dispute Tury's recent info. Came across this road in October, down from the north. But I am surprised it washed out as it is more of a causeway than a bridge. Water is always just flowing over the top of it.

And you would think they would get it sorted quickly as there is quite a number of people living on the north side.
beemer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #51
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Based on recommendations in this thread, I have been planning to get south from Creel to Batopilas going east and south to Guachochi then back up to Bato. Our trip is all about big bikes and old guys making a big loop down to CC from AZ then over to Baja and north back to AZ. Small bikes and more challenging routes will have to be another time.

So, is the route I am planning still the consensus pick for big bikes?

Thanks again and again...
Old 02-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #52
dajuice OP
Adventurer

George, that is the way we are thinking about going even on our small bikes unless the bridge situation is rectified so, I'd say yes. Its about your only option right now from Creel to Bato and it is big bike friendly (or so i'm told by others that have gone that way ).
Old 02-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #53
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks much!!

On the Creel-Guachochi Rd., anyone know anything about the "Hwy 23-Satevo" Road which cuts off north of Guachochi, crosses the Batopilas River and connects to the Guachochi-Satevo Road going northwest to Bato. It appears to be pretty twisty--going down into the canyon??

It shows on the OSM CC map and would cut off a lot of distance to Bato....
Old 02-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #54
dajuice OP
Adventurer

I followed it in google earth. It is gravel but it looks wide. It looks like there is a bridge over the Bato river on that road which is a good sign!

http://goo.gl/maps/VDb9H

Image quality is low but that just looks too perfect to not be a bridge.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #55
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

It does look interesting. Maybe Tury or someone else who has ridden it will chime in.

What is the trick to get the topo to show on OSM?
Old 02-07-2014, 07:18 AM   #56
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

OSM Hwy 23-Satevo Cutoff To Bato

I am in contact with another inmate who hopes to check this route out and report back next month.....
Old 02-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #57
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
Based on recommendations in this thread, I have been planning to get south from Creel to Batopilas going east and south to Guachochi then back up to Bato. Our trip is all about big bikes and old guys making a big loop down to CC from AZ then over to Baja and north back to AZ. Small bikes and more challenging routes will have to be another time.

So, is the route I am planning still the consensus pick for big bikes?

Thanks again and again...
That is the way I went (in reverse) in November. Other than a few mudholes and a few marble covered switchbacks, it was pretty easy. It also appeared to be the most used route. Of course, those referenced December rains could have changed things. You might pm Maxvert and see if he still has the routes and tracks.
STOC #326 IBA #217
Old 02-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #58
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks. Did you happen to see or ride the "Hwy 23-Satevo" cutoff north of Guachochi. The OSM maps show it cutting across to the Batopilas road, avoiding Guachochi.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:10 AM   #59
beemer67
Really Old airhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
Thanks. Did you happen to see or ride the "Hwy 23-Satevo" cutoff north of Guachochi. The OSM maps show it cutting across to the Batopilas road, avoiding Guachochi.
Everyone is calling it the "Hwy 23 - Satevo' road but is this even possible? I thought it was Hwy 23-Batopilas, with Satevo being an offshoot. Can you get to Satevo first without going through Bato? (and I don't mean coming in via Tubares )
Old 02-08-2014, 12:30 AM   #60
beemer67
Really Old airhead

There is a turnoff to the right as you ride south on Hwy 23 north of Guachochi about 40k, and it is signposted as Batopilas. But I think this is a different town named Batopilas than the one at the bottom. This road branches off to the left within a few hundred yards of leaving the highway, right in a village. The road to the right in the village heads up into the hills and on my Mapsource does eventually cross the Batopilas river and work its way down to the Guachochi-Bato road.
I had taken it for 15K or so but being solo, it seemed to be getting really isolated and not well used so I turned around.

Looking closer at Mapsource I see this road has a link to my regular Hot Pools stop so might have to explore further next time.