User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,652
1973 R75/5 Ignition Switch Removal Question

I've got my HL bucket off the bike, with all the wires/rubber seal bungs & are sort of stuffed inside and it needs to get paint when I do the fenders. I have never removed the ignition switch before on these bikes-how does it happen? Slider type switch.
Trying not to break something here so best to know before I mess around. I see the part inside under the small elec board that has a "tab" & turns some & I see the slotted part around the key hole on the outside-where do you go from there? I'm trying to leave all the wires in place when I refinish so I don't have to reinvent the connections upon re-assembly. and thanks!
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,274
you have to bend the tabs up (very carefully) and remove the board, then you can get to the parts to remove the switch. it's certainly not my favorite design on these bikes though the beauty of the headlight bucket when assembled mostly makes up for it.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,141
It all comes out inside the bucket. There should be four (4) tabs that hold the switch assembly in place that will need to be straightened and then you can remove the board and such. To get the chrome cover and slider off you will need to straighten the four (4) tabs that hold the cover on and then you remove it from the outside.

It is recommend to replace the cover, slider and spring and you should anneal the tabs inside the bucket before you paint it to try and stop said tabs from breaking off when you reassemble everything.

kix

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Tabs are underneath the board or through the board? Anneal as in flame heat while still assembled? These tabs are extensions from the metal housing of the switch exterior? Thanks!!!
Hey kixtand-how about a ride sometime? I'm 60k east of you near Natural Bridge SP.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
Old 02-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,274
tabs go through the board. the tabs are part of the headlight bucket not the switch.

you can see them in this random pic from the web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
Tabs are underneath the board or through the board? Anneal as in flame heat while still assembled? These tabs are extensions from the metal housing of the switch exterior? Thanks!!!
Hey kixtand-how about a ride sometime? I'm 60k east of you near Natural Bridge SP.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,868
tabs can be annealed using a 12v battery. They make a nice resistor.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
kantuckid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Good job guys! That battery trick is on the spot! I haven't looked in there again but pretty obvious in the pic..