User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
Pardus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
KTM 690 Enduro R 2014 - so far so good except tail light

I've got a new KTM 690 Enduro R. So far it has been really fun. There are a few minor nuisances that I can address or live with but the tail light issue is a safety problem.

The tail light works intermittently. Sometimes it's on, sometimes not. When it's on the brake light works, when it's not on the brake light doesn't work.

If I lightly tap the rear fender it usually comes on...for a while. Right now it works.

I can go in and look at various connections and check the bulb I guess but I'm going in with no knowledge of the system and if it comes on (or stays on since it's working now) it won't mean much since it sometimes works as it is.

I searched and this doesn't seem to be a known or recurring issue but if anyone knows about this or has some helpful advice I would appreciate it.

It will be going in to the dealers for a look soon so I can get them to look at it but if there's something I can do in the meantime I will.

I realize there are aftermarket LED tail lights but I'd like to have everything working correctly in the stock configuration before I start making changes if possible.
Pardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
MotoJim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
I have a 2014 also but no taillight issue that I am aware of.

That's why they created dealers. It's a warranty issue so have them fix it.
MotoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
Pardus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJim View Post
I have a 2014 also but no taillight issue that I am aware of.

That's why they created dealers. It's a warranty issue so have them fix it.
Very true; I'll probably end up doing that.

If it's something simple I don't mind doing it myself especially since it's a chance to learn but it's definitely a warranty issue.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
My 2013 tail light did the same thing and I was pulled over by a leo. It would come on when I went over bumps and then right back off. I checked fuses and wiring and all was good. I found that the ground in the housing had bent up and was no longer making contact with the bulb. Solution: bend the tang back down and wrap a ziptie around the whole thing keeping the ground pressed against the bulb. No problem s since with around 2k miles on it.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
Pardus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmstatecrawler View Post
My 2013 tail light did the same thing and I was pulled over by a leo. It would come on when I went over bumps and then right back off. I checked fuses and wiring and all was good. I found that the ground in the housing had bent up and was no longer making contact with the bulb. Solution: bend the tang back down and wrap a ziptie around the whole thing keeping the ground pressed against the bulb. No problem s since with around 2k miles on it.
Awesome! Thank you. I don't yet know if the same thing is going on in my case but this is the sort of info I was hoping for so I could at least look for a few things when I get in there.

ETA: light was on but popped it open anyway to look. Jiggled the brown wire, duplicated the problem when the tang arched up. Zip tired it, so far no more intermittent light. Thanks!!

Pardus screwed with this post 04-25-2014 at 03:40 PM