User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
jtw000 OP
Survivor

Oddometer: 552
1984 XT250 advice needed

I have a problem with my XT and I'm looking for a bit of advice. I have an XT and I can't get it running just right. It pulls well from standstill but at high revs, it just splutters and loses power. I've rebuilt the carb with a service kit, replacing the jets and internals. The bike is pretty much stock from what I can tell, standard exhaust, air cleaner etc. The needle jet is adjustable and I've set everything to the middle setting but no matter what I do it makes no difference.
The battery is shot and I've having trouble finding one. This makes it a pig to start, as predicted from google searching. I can't tell if this would cause the problem, does anyone know one way or the other? Anyway, I had the battery charged up and it worked briefly and even that didn't make it run any better. I've been careful with the manifolds and they seem tight and well-sealed but I guess there could be an air-leak somewhere. I can't get gaskets but I made one and sealed it properly. I found that the pumper mechanism was damaged and not working, repaired that and guess what, no difference whatsoever. Nothing I do makes any difference.
Any ideas? I'm pretty much lost, it's been a long time since I did much work with carbs. Certainly (as you can see) I'm not expert. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:00 AM   #2
RowBust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I don't know what you mean by pumper mechanism, do you mean the linkage for the secondary carb? Have you done the sync of the carbs? Take the lid off the airbox and see if that makes a difference. Are the carb manifold rubbers OK are they cracked? Coil? spark plug? Check that the fuel line from the primary to the secondary is not blocked also check that fuel is flowing from the tank OK Check float level and float valve and seat
RowBust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:11 AM   #3
jtw000 OP
Survivor

There's no sync involved, it's a single carb. A Mikuni Pumper carb with a single fuel feed, as far as I can tell. Coil and sparks seem good. Rubbers seem sound, I guess I will have a closer inspection on them later.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:52 AM   #4
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 5,105
My 1984 XT 250 has twin carbs? You sure yours is 84?

sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:08 AM   #5
jtw000 OP
Survivor

Apparently not. Mine looks like this.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
giantturkysub
n00b

Oddometer: 1
1984 XT250 advice needed

Looks like an 80'-83'. My 82 xt200 had a similar problem. I found out my kickstand sensor was shorting out at higher speeds from the wind, so I just unplugged it. May or may not work for you.

giantturkysub screwed with this post 07-18-2014 at 04:36 PM Reason: accidentally hit send before i was ready
giantturkysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
jtw000 OP
Survivor

Worth a try, thanks. I once had a bike that wouldn't start and kept cutting out. Turned out to be a short in the kill switch.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:05 PM   #8
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack one View Post
My 1984 XT 250 has twin carbs? You sure yours is 84?

We never got the twin carb, 250 here in the usa. The TT250 was never here too.
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote