User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #1
cheynespub OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
KTM 690 Bars, mirrors, and risers

I have some questions for this knowledgeable community. I had a tip over yesterday and I broke the stock hand guards. I also bent the lower bar mount that bolts to the upper triple clamp. It was also feeling different when I rode right after the tip over like the bars were slightly bent.

I have been looking for options to raise up the steering system but I don't know much about what I need. I dont want to affect the cable setup.

I was thinking the CR high bend fat bars with the HDB guards and mirrors. Any other options out there? What is the easiest way to get around the bar mounts that bent?
cheynespub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
cheynespub OP
Adventurer

Can anyone comment on what options to rise the controls are possible with stock cable lengths? I am thinking of the CR high bend fat bars with the HDB guards and mirrors.

I still cannot tell if they offer a guard that mounts to the bar vs. a new bar top clamp on there lowest cost version...
Old 05-19-2015, 05:54 AM   #3
Motomochila
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 1,111
These are Flexx bars with Scott's under bar damper, 2in rise with stock cable.
Total rise over stock, 3.5 inches.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:20 AM   #4
juno
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
I used the BRP rubber mounted risers kit with my Scotts Damper.
It raised the bars about 1/2" up and back (have to use the rear holes with it)

Just that was a noticeable difference. Plus my vibrations went down by 50% at least.
I am leaning towards the HDB ultimate handguards with the fold a way mirrors. They look like the best option out there, plus they have different upper bar mounts to chose from to mount switches, power plugs, LEDs, etc.
juno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:06 AM   #5
coolrunnings
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Bar Mount

I bent my bars as well and here is what I went with:

Renthal Fatbars 827 bend, this is a bit more MX than adventure styling. But I heard a good piece of advice on the boards:

Doesn't matter what bars you buy generally. You will learn to adapt to them very quickly and you won't notice the difference unless you have the means to run/test several bar types back to back (if you have the means to run a large stock of bars go for it).

Trail Tech riser (1.5" rise). Won't affect the cables.

*** Another thought is to also get lower pegs. The combination of a 7/8" lower peg plus a rise in bars gets the largest increase in rider triangle without having to change cables.

http://www.knightdesignllc.com//imag...lack2-600h.jpg
coolrunnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:27 AM   #6
cheynespub OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the replys. With the slight damage to the lower bar clamps, the trail tech does look like a good option. I am thinking the Pro Taper fat bar in the CR high bend. With the hand guards from HDB. Expensive all around but looks like quality stuff. Still deciding if I want to go ultimate, or nexgen. Probably go cheaper and get a nex gen and I dont adventure as much as just trail ride quick. Dont look down at my gauges very frequently.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #7
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,739
+1 for the BRP/Scott's mount. I ended up adding an extra 1.25" riser on top of that. All stock cables on my 2014 still work with that rise. Though I did run the front the brake "Rally Style" to get it off the damn computer.

Big fan of the HDB guards, and I like the looks of the HDB mirrors as well. But in use I like the the Double-Take mirrors much better, even though they are Fugly. The HDB's are too convex, small and viblurry (new word).

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:28 PM   #8
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheynespub View Post
Thanks for the replys. With the slight damage to the lower bar clamps, the trail tech does look like a good option. I am thinking the Pro Taper fat bar in the CR high bend. With the hand guards from HDB. Expensive all around but looks like quality stuff. Still deciding if I want to go ultimate, or nexgen. Probably go cheaper and get a nex gen and I dont adventure as much as just trail ride quick. Dont look down at my gauges very frequently.
Betcha - your bar mounts are not bent, just the big bolts that hold them down to the triple clamp. Pop the bars off, then loosen the big bolts with a T35 torx, you'll see the mount wiggle.

Get the KTM risers, the new ones, these use your current clamps. Many heights up to 50mm, it comes with new bolts. I installed the 30mm ones and didn't do anything with the cables, just tugged a little.