Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #151
Antikid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
it is really cool to read about a new(ish) bike being made to go RTW.
even better that it is a KTM, even betterer that it is the good old LC4

i didn't see it listed and i am sure there are other opinions, but i would replace the clutch slave with the sigutech dual oring slave.
i was one of the unfortunate people to have multiple slave o-ring failures on my 05 625SMC.
after replacing the orings a few times i finally got the sigutech and it seems to be quite nice.
i also used transmission fluid instead of mineral oil, since i ran out of magura blood when i installed it
http://sigutech.com/index.php?option...2&lang=english

not sure about what you are doing for spares, but a clutch master would be a good idea to keep around. just in case.

and get the midwest mountain engineering clutch lever. it is GREAT!!!
http://midwestme.com/index.html
this is from a meager 11k mile lc4 owner so.....

good luck on the trip and i can't wait to see the finished product and read the trip reports
Old 03-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #152
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antikid View Post
it is really cool to read about a new(ish) bike being made to go RTW.
even better that it is a KTM, even betterer that it is the good old LC4

i didn't see it listed and i am sure there are other opinions, but i would replace the clutch slave with the sigutech dual oring slave.
i was one of the unfortunate people to have multiple slave o-ring failures on my 05 625SMC.
after replacing the orings a few times i finally got the sigutech and it seems to be quite nice.
i also used transmission fluid instead of mineral oil, since i ran out of magura blood when i installed it
http://sigutech.com/index.php?option...2&lang=english
It's good to see someone has come up with a better slave for this mill... I replace the O-ring from time to time in the OEM unit instead of waiting for it to fail, usually when I replace the sprockets + chain...

In one bike I am running fork oil in the clutch, in the other is light mineral oil from the drugstore where my wife works...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #153
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Any sources for the Sigutech slave on this continent or do you have to order from Germany??

Cheers
Old 03-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #154
Antikid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
i ordered mine directly from sigutech.

emailed back and forth with Horst and he was very helpful and prompt in replying.
it arrived quicker than i thought. only took 1 week.

i don't have much mileage on it, but it is much nicer than the stock slave.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #155
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Thank you!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #156
ontherock
ne'er do well

Oddometer: 32
Since your bike is a 2003, I'm guessing it has the roller bearing behind the clutch instead of the caged ball bearing the '01 & '02 640s had..I would definitely include the intake cam roller bearing in your tool kit, and possibly a spare ignition module,been enjoying your write up! Dropptarotter, I can almost see your house from here, well your country anyway!

ontherock screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 12:30 AM
ontherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #157
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherock View Post
Since your bike is a 2003, I'm guessing it has the roller bearing behind the clutch instead of the caged ball bearing the '01 & '02 640s had..I would definitely include the intake cam roller bearing in your tool kit, and possibly a spare ignition module
as it sounds this bearing is probably good for failure along the road has anyone/ everyone just continued to use the stock bearing or tried to find an upgraded better quality piece?

and i guess the same question for the ignition module...any other options out there for a replacement?

heading off this morning to meet with the guys at RAD Manufacturing to talk thru some wheel options and look at their cush drive set up...i like that theres is cut from a solid block of billet and not cast like the stock one is, way more durable over time...boxes and boxes of parts should be arriving very soon so i can finally start doing the build, sorry for the delay i thought it would be way quicker than this, but you guys gave me a lot to think about
rtwpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #158
CSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Nice, looking forward to see your build really start taking shape, but doing it right the first time is always better and cheaper...

Take some pics at Rad if you can? Their wheel sets look very well built, I'd love to have a set... maybe next year.
CSF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #159
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
I am really enjoying this thread so far. Since I have an 03 as well, I look forward to seeing some of your modifications, especially your oil cooler. The PO of my bike installed a set of 04 SX forks on my bike when he owned it. Larger diameter stanchions and upgraded internals over the stock 03 forks. Since it came to me this way, I can't say if it is better, the same or worse than the stock forks, but he swore by the upgrade.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #160
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

RTWP........did you get my mail about the Scotts damper mount?

I have the RAD wheels and they are gorgeous.........their cush drive uses stock KTM rubber dampers.....which is a bonus........no proprietary rubbers needed!

Cheers
Old 03-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #161
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo View Post
I am really enjoying this thread so far. Since I have an 03 as well, I look forward to seeing some of your modifications, especially your oil cooler. The PO of my bike installed a set of 04 SX forks on my bike when he owned it. Larger diameter stanchions and upgraded internals over the stock 03 forks. Since it came to me this way, I can't say if it is better, the same or worse than the stock forks, but he swore by the upgrade.
interesting, i'll have to look into that
Old 03-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #162
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
RTWP........did you get my mail about the Scotts damper mount?

I have the RAD wheels and they are gorgeous.........their cush drive uses stock KTM rubber dampers.....which is a bonus........no proprietary rubbers needed!

Cheers
bryan, sorry for not getting back to on that, been slammed with moving, new job, this bike build...

but lets just say i have not let it slip, i spoke to www.KTMpartshouse.com yesterday and told him about the bike and i was told..."leave it with me and let me see what i can find out as no one was showing anythig that fitted my year and model"

they called me back at the end of the day after contacting KTM directly on my behalf and have offered to send over a few parts that KTM feel in combination will fit the bike and work well...i will keep everyone posted on that because if it is a fit then i will post part numbers here and the price was very good too!!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #163
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSF View Post
Take some pics at Rad if you can? Their wheel sets look very well built, I'd love to have a set... maybe next year.
i took a load and they will be on here very soon, let me have a after being in the truck all day then i'll get on it
Old 03-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #164
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
as it sounds this bearing is probably good for failure along the road has anyone/ everyone just continued to use the stock bearing or tried to find an upgraded better quality piece?

and i guess the same question for the ignition module...any other options out there for a replacement?
The main shaft roller bearing is a quality unit made by SKF and should be good for 100K miles...

The cam follower setup on the LC 4 is a very good piece of engineering with the one flaw: The intake follower roller was made too small... If they had installed the same size roller as on the exhaust there would likely be little issue with them... Still though, they are not difficult to change and better than the alternative of having the rocker fingers ride directly on the cam like some japanese examples... The service life on the intake roller is usually 25-30K miles with the odd one going before that... 2 things that can alert you to the intake starting to fail is: #1- more clatter from the tappets than usual, #2- Upon routine valve lash checks, you find that the clearance opens up rather than shrinks, this indicates that it is time to check the rollers as an opening clearance is not part of the normal valve wear pattern...

The LC 4 has the whole cam suspended in bearings as well which is another plus, I see so many designs where the cam rides in a type of rub block affair which is built in as part of the head/valve cover... When these parts wear out it means replacement of the cam and the head/cover or some kind of machined sleeve to restore things which can be quite costly as to where on the LC 4 you replace a couple of bearings... By the way, the main cam bearing is quite a common bearing and easy to find..

I have never heard of a CDI on the LC 4 bikes failing as part of normal riding... I have seen some fail because the owner had crossed the wrong wires when tinkering with the electronics... One thing that does go on occasion is the pickup coil, so carrying a spare of those is not a bad idea, especially since they are small and take up little room...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #165
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Paul;
No worries about not getting back to me.......life does get in the way sometimes. I just wanted to make sure you got the info.

If you are looking for a damper........call Steve at Scotts......he can set you up with exactly what I have....it's an easy install.........I could even give you my original order number if you like to refresh Steve's memory.

Hope all is well......looking forward to more photos!

Cheers