Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #166
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,923
rad mfg - radmfg wheels and components

i headed north out of the smog of Las Vegas driving north 140 miles

thru virgin river canyon

past snow canyon headed to Veyo UT

and my bike gets unloaded from my truck (front fender is missing, more on that later)

so a little about Rad Mfg that i learned today, they are under NEW management so anything you have read on here or anywhere else that is more than a year or two old is now totally irrelevant, their professionalism, customer service and quality is beyond reproach. I hadn't even got out of my truck and the guys were coming outside to meet me and say hello

they run this operation completely from this building

rims come in from DID, EXCEL and most other rim manufacturers you can think of depending on your wallet or riding style, technique.

once the rims arrive and there are loads of them...

everything else is done in house, they bring in solid round stock aluminum billets and cut them to length and run them thru the CNC machines to make all the hubs, everything is made to order, and if you requested anodizing that in done in house as well!!!

...and let me tell you having owned a motorcycle business for a number of years, also being a motorcycle builder for 12 years and i also have hands on experience in CNC facilities...this is a top notch operation

cast stock components don't compare at all when you can get this precision...

NIPPLES...everybody likes nipples...well they have them in loads of colors and make them here too

so i have left my bike with them, as its a two year only model they wanted to confirm their measurements on file were 100% correct and then my wheels will be made to my specifications (you'll have to wait and see what i chose)

on leaving the manager Gary Holdcraft gave me his card and welcomes any and all inquires about what they can do for you, let him know RTWPaul sent you along please...his phone number is 435-574-2537 and his email Gary@radmfg.com

rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #167
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Will the wheels be anything like these............

Old 03-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #168
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Will the wheels be anything like these............
i'm guessing something like that, not sure until i pick the bike back up as they are keeping it right now to take specific measurements, as soon as i know you'll know
Old 03-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #169
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,513
I love the look of the RAD stuff. Very clean. I would love to build up a set of wheels around them.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #170
D-Train
Ridin' Dirty

Oddometer: 1,241
Subscribed Gonna be fun to watch this one! Good on you Paul, can't wait to catch up with you in AZ in May

Dusty
Old 03-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #171
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,594
Geez man! Stop teasing and get to work!

Looking forward to see how this plays out...and to see where you end up next.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #172
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Geez man! Stop teasing and get to work!

Looking forward to see how this plays out...and to see where you end up next.
i know i know....actually waiting on my big parts delivery so i can get rolling on this bike, its coming very soon you think i'm sleeping over here i'm just getting back into the swing of normal life again ...and it sucks kind of like this and this ...i want my life back out on the road

Old 03-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #173
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Running a o ring where cush/sprocket carrier assembly joins/mates to hub works a treat keeping water/dust debi out of cush rubbers/dampners.Enjoying your thread,awesome ride ahead!
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #174
stumpy-ktm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
stop on in ....

rtw .... im in the bottom of the north island in NZ I have a tig , lathe , mill and tools ... and a spare bed ... I only ride tarmac , u are welcome to stop in and fix ,repair , build , shower etc .... just let me know , cell number in nz is 021-0580101 ...
cheers blair
Old 03-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #175
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpy-ktm View Post
rtw .... im in the bottom of the north island in NZ I have a tig , lathe , mill and tools ... and a spare bed ... I only ride tarmac , u are welcome to stop in and fix ,repair , build , shower etc .... just let me know , cell number in nz is 021-0580101 ...
cheers blair
thanks stumpy i'll be in touch closer to the time, will be good to meet you, even though i can use all the tools you mention hopefully the only thing from your list i'll need is a bed...oh and probably a shower
Old 03-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #176
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

lets get this adventurization rolling

parts have been rolling in and trying to find time to get this going, i figured out an easy way to make more time...i quit my job

******let me preempt this whole build thread by saying i am kind of thorough when it comes to building bikes, having done it for about 17 years and built over 150...so this is not a dig at the previous owners, there were two even though this bike has only 500 miles on the clock...

or at KTM, but i am always very wary about Monday and Friday bikes

i would rather make sure things are right while i have all my tools around me and a comfortable place to work rather than on the top of a mountain as a rain storm and 75mph winds are heading my way

and then if something goes wrong and its my fault i can make a good attempt to kick myself in the nuts ****

so boxes of stuff coming in...and still more arriving daily

don't ask about the plastics, i'll get to the reason for them in due course

i ran back up to Veyo Utah to see gary and the boys at RAD Mfg. to collect my rims, i had chosen to go with DID Dirt Star rims in black, orange hubs and nipples and upgraded heavy duty stainless spokes made in house, the nipples are longer than standard (insert wise crack here ) to add additional threads and increase strength

rear cush drive hub uses stock ktm cush drive rubbers, i was given a care package or additional spokes, nipples and rubbers for emergencies (time for another wise crack )

i asked for the wheels with tires unmounted...here is where being thorough begins, personally i prefer to tape over the inner nipple area with a few layers of duct tape and then add rims strips on top of that, i didn't have to as RAD Mfg do this as standard procedure...sweet

Old 03-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #177
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,282
Now we're cookin with peanut oil.. !!
is that a 2.50 rim or a 2.15 ?
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #178
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Now we're cookin with peanut oil.. !!
is that a 2.50 rim or a 2.15 ?
DID don't make a 2.50 in an 18 so had to go with the 2.15, strength is the key ingredient here
Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #179
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

one of the new light weight additions (maybe) is these little dodads from Motion Pro

they are always innovative in what they make but can these really make breaking a bead that much easier, as i'm not adding a center stand to keep weight down i'm interested for sure...the answer YES ...without a doubt easiest bead i have ever broken on a tire using these, and one handed at that..just have to remember to keep the writing facing upwards

****if anyone needs/ wants the stock rims with 500 miles on them let me know, drop me a PM

so time for wheel and tire removal from the old rims

as i do this build i will keep referring to weights, the reason for this is when i come to doing suspension upgrades i will know the altered figure and use it accordingly

last chance look...

new rear rim getting weighed...12lb 1 oz

old rear rim...9lb 5oz

a gain of 2 lb 12oz for the addition of the cush drive and heavy duty spokes...worth it

stock valve caps replaced with ones with integrated core removal tool

brake rotor replaced using BLUE loctite, steel bolts going into aluminum

sprocket replaced, through bolts with nuts on the back sides so steel to steel - RED loctitie

rear axle nut replaced and Blue loctite used as its not a castellated nut with a retaining clip

chain guard screws cleaned and Blue loctitie added, i always seems to loose these things

for reference i mark my sprockets, i'll be carrying a few different ones...

best stock all around gearing for most situations on this model 17-42? currently its 15-45...suggestions

i took out the two bolts holding the front chain guard, they came out on the motosyberia guys bikes back in 2007 and caused problems on muddy days, again best to check now

new mounted sexy rear wheel, with a TKC80

Old 03-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #180
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,322
I hate you right now. You are making want to do evil things to my wallet.

Ass.

"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote