Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #211
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,381
what is your top three choices for OIL for the LC4 to use under most conditions, lets say 50/50 riding

1. Rotella T6 Synthetic
2.Motul
3.Motorex

And I think the Adv frame might be the best way to go for more oil...adds 600mls.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #212
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,462
yeah, it's not really the cool thing, but having more oil onboard.... the RFS motors take like 1.25 litres, how much is in that LC4?.....

and for the oil, 'yer supposed to have something that has that JASO MA certification, which is supposed to be for the wet clutch, i think, so i'd let that be the guide....
davesupreme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #213
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
yeah, it's not really the cool thing, but having more oil onboard.... the RFS motors take like 1.25 litres, how much is in that LC4?.....
Engine take 1.3L and the frame (adv) has and extra 600ml, plus an extra filter.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #214
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post

and for the oil, 'yer supposed to have something that has that JASO MA certification, which is supposed to be for the wet clutch, i think, so i'd let that be the guide....

Volumn of oil is 1.6 liters. I would think adding an extra .5-1 liters in an external tank would be the best way to go, but finding a spot on the frame that would be safe won't be easy.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #215
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,023
What do you think about just making a seperate steel tube oil reservoir and weld/tab mount it in front of or alongside the frame down tube, basically where the stock adv one is? I think I mentioned earlier that I think keeping your eyes peeled for used adv/LC4-E/SM frame would be the best solution, closest to stock and least likely to be a problem while on the road, but it seems like a steel tube mounted close in to the engine would be a close second.

The fan on my LC4-E almost never runs, so I'm not convinced that this bike really needs an oil cooler, but if you think you'll be doing lots of loaded up sand tractoring, it may be valuable. Like you've said, it definitely presents a possible failure point.
The extra filter is nice, but I wish these engines had a filter immediately upstream of the oil pumps. After I rebuilt my engine the first time (and tried to get away with only doing the top end), I lost a couple oil pumps due to metal chips getting sucked in and seizing the things up.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #216
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,459
1 Mobil 1 15-50
2 Mobil 1 15-50
3 Rotella syn/Delo 400
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #217
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
What do you think about just making a seperate steel tube oil reservoir and weld/tab mount it in front of or alongside the frame down tube, basically where the stock adv one is?
i've been in touch with a Hot Rod guy and he is sending me a pretty unique set up, kind of along the lines you are talking about...normal problem is the mount, either on the unit or the frame, he assures me his will be easy to mount and hold a good amount of oil....i have also been in touch with a Nascar supplier and he said he may have something if the hot rod guys idea falls thru....gotta think outside the box, this happens cause of being in the custom bike business for years, i have a tendency to look in some strange places for parts
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #218
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
i've been in touch with a Hot Rod guy and he is sending me a pretty unique set up, kind of along the lines you are talking about...normal problem is the mount, either on the unit or the frame, he assures me his will be easy to mount and hold a good amount of oil....i have also been in touch with a Nascar supplier and he said he may have something if the hot rod guys idea falls thru....gotta think outside the box, this happens cause of being in the custom bike business for years, i have a tendency to look in some strange places for parts
Dude. this thread is great. I love how resourceful you are getting what you need/want. Good luck. keep it up.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:57 PM   #219
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,023
Quote:
I'm sure you're aware that the oil-in-frame 640s have a bolt at the top of the reservoir for filling at oil changes and for purging the air out of the system after an oil change. And I guess there must be a pressure valve at the bottom so it doesn't all end up in the crankcase when the bike sits. . . . Looking forward to seeing your solution, I've been tempted by some nice looking 640 SXCs, but was wary about the limited oil capacity for a travel bike.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #220
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
so time for a poll...so copy and paste and fill in the gaps i'm intrigued about answers from multiple countries as well
what is your top three choices for OIL for the LC4 to use under most conditions, lets say 50/50 riding

4. ...and if you were stuck in BFE and just need something/ anything what would be you alternative...rotella etc
"what is your top three choices for OIL for the LC4 to use under most conditions, lets say 50/50 riding"

1. Mobil One Synthetic (DR650 @ 50,000 miles, former V-strom to 90K)
2. In the boondocks? Find the Best Synthetic Car oil you can find (one without Friction modifiers .. similar to the "high mileage" syn car oil Mobil make) or a Blend if that is all available?
3. Whatever is available? Do at your own risk. (been there, done that)

A lot will depend on oil change intervals and availability. Liquid cooling should keep your oil pretty healthy. Even my Air/Oil cooled DR650 can go 5000 on a change if need be. Oil remains clear until about 3500 miles.

Also .. do you plan to carry like 3 or 4 liters on board? What is your current oil capacity?

I really like the idea of an oil cooler ... but none of the examples shown looks like they add much capacity. Anyone make a "deep sump" arrangement for the 640?

A cooler will extend oil life and stretch changes. But I would make sure you
carry parts and hoses to revert back to stock if cooler is damaged.

What is KTM factory recommended change interval?

Dirt Star wheels look very tough.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #221
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

A lot will depend on oil change intervals and availability. Liquid cooling should keep your oil pretty healthy. Even my Air/Oil cooled DR650 can go 5000 on a change if need be. Oil remains clear until about 3500 miles.

Also .. do you plan to carry like 3 or 4 liters on board? What is your current oil capacity?

I really like the idea of an oil cooler ... but none of the examples shown looks like they add much capacity. Anyone make a "deep sump" arrangement for the 640?

But I would make sure you carry parts and hoses to revert back to stock if cooler is damaged.
the 625 SXC holds a massive 1.6 liters trying to get that upped...stay tuned parts on the way...i will set it up so if there is a mishap i can reconnect back to stock in a matter of minutes (before i loose all my oil ) way ahead of you on that one
Old 03-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #222
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

do you like spaghetti?

so i started to tear into the bike this morning

having ridden vibrating bikes most of my life i know to check to make sure everything is good and tight...NOPE!

first thing i find is the secondary micro filter mount is loose, and its missing a bolt, the other one is holding by about one thread

i replace the bolt add some blue loctite and decide to check a few more, the next half a dozen bolts are all loose...so i spent the next hour removing everyone i can find and adding loctite and torquing down to spec.

BTW never found any evidence of any loctite on one single bolt

so once that was done i took off the headlight....holy Fkg ĥĬŧē

about a pound of zip ties and extra wire, dozens of unnecessary spliced connections, chaffed wires, open ends, pinches, melted wires, even found a twist strap from a loaf of bread holding a wire in place...starting to wonder if this bike really has 500 miles or the first owner who had it the longest just unplugged the speedo or replaced it with his wiring skills...second owner only had it for a short while so i know its not down to him

guess i'll be rewiring for a while here, but amazingly everything works so it'll be more of a clean up job

can you imagine if you just bought this and flew it to Mongolia sight unseen and then had an electrical problem in the middle of the Gobi desert...

it would be a case of opening the gas tank throwing a match in there and taking a camel home...

Old 03-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #223
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,536
Awesome! Now the real fun starts....at least it is clean Paul...
Old 03-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #224
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,459

If I was riding around the world I would buy a new harness and some extra connectors and pins
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #225
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
If I was riding around the world I would buy a new harness and some extra connectors and pins
i'll do the clean up first, no better way to get to know your bike, all comes in handy out in the middle of nowhere...just adding a new harness is the easy way out and doesn't help me gaining knowledge on my first piece of orange...

then and only then if i still have problems i will look into a new harness...wiring isn't that bad if you look at it in small sections, and personally i don't like these type of connectors, i will probably do a swap to deutsch connectors, a lot easier to work with