Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #271
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I know Remus make a variety or cans ... not sure if they cover KTM singles or not. Just a thought, maybe worth a look.
We used a Remus twin muffler full system on the bike in the links I provided. It sounded good, but the system's interior needed a bit of clean up due to sloppy overlaps and so forth hanging into the exhaust stream.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #272
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Is there something about the hi-flow head that actually makes the engine less likely to detonate, or is it partly the forged piston in the hi-flow models that is less likely to break apart when the engine does detonate? I've had a piston break once (before I bought the bike) and seize once on my 99 LC4, I think it was due to a plugged piston cooling oil channel in the engine, but always interested to know more about how to keep this engine alive for as long as possible.
Two things on the high flow head models help prevent detonation. One is the better exhaust flow through the larger exhaust valves and ports and the other is the more appropriate 3d ignition map the igniter box contains.

Regards,

Derek
Old 04-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #273
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
We used a Remus twin muffler full system on the bike in the links I provided. It sounded good, but the system's interior needed a bit of clean up due to sloppy overlaps and so forth hanging into the exhaust stream.

Regards,

Derek
If you had such a problem you should have contacted USA Remus rep, Knut Wagner, who is located in Oakland, CA. Knut has direct contact with the factory in Austria ... almost anything can be fixed or fab'd to suit. Great service. Dozens of my BMW riding friends have dealt with Knut over the years. ALL GOOD!

As I understand it, Paul would only need an end can and mid pipe, not a full system.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #274
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,766
Quote:

As I understand it, Paul would only need an end can and mid pipe, not a full system.
The exhaust system on the Hi Flo engine equipped bikes comes with a big enough header/midpipe as a 1 piece unit from the factory{actually 2 piece if you count the double headers}... You could go even larger by purchasing one of the full system setups, fine if your a racer building a racebike to circle the globe, but probably over kill for the average traveller... The muffler part of it is the only part that most who do make changes swap out..
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #275
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If you had such a problem you should have contacted USA Remus rep, Knut Wagner, who is located in Oakland, CA.
That's who we got the system from. At the time, he was in San Francisco.
Quote:
Knut has direct contact with the factory in Austria ... almost anything can be fixed or fab'd to suit.
I seriously doubt that they would have bolted the head with the exhaust to a flow bench, fixed the problems and tested as they went along as we did. Plus, we just needed to get it done (no time to screw round with sending stuff to Austria and waiting for it to come back).
Quote:
As far as I know the SXC doesn't use a separate mid pipe. In my opinion the stock SXC end cap is going to be too restrictive for use with the race airbox lid. Either a more free flowing end cap or a more free flowing muffler should do the trick.

Regards,

Derek
Old 04-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #276
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
I gave the nuts a slight squish in the vice before welding them on so the bolts don't rattle off which has worked well.
Do you mean in the vise?

Regards,

Derek
Old 04-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #277
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,703
You could use rivnuts. Fastenal carries them and they're not all that expensive....the installation gun on the other hand is just shy of $2 Benjamins.

Maybe a quick google for "rivnut alternatives" would pull up a less expensive alternative?

Dirty
Old 04-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #278
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
... In my opinion the stock SXC end cap is going to be too restrictive for use with the race airbox lid. Either a more free flowing end cap or a more free flowing muffler should do the trick.

Regards,

Derek
Hi Derek,

Have you done any tests (in regard to flow) of the Staintune (Aussie but is/was sold in USA) muffler fitted to a hi-flow head? What is the best flowing muffler you have tested on the hi-flow head (2005 640A)?

Staintune need no packing (so they claim).

David.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #279
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
You could use rivnuts.
Rivnuts end up proud of the surface, and are therefore likely to be unsuitable. AVK nutserts are better candidates, as they end up pretty flush. But in my experience, even with as little as these protrude, they can still cause binding issues with the sleeve. I therefore think welding nuts on the inside of the end caps is the best solution.

Regards,

Derek
Old 04-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #280
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrobertson View Post
Have you done any tests (in regard to flow) of the Staintune (Aussie but is/was sold in USA) muffler fitted to a hi-flow head?
I have not.
Quote:
What is the best flowing muffler you have tested on the hi-flow head (2005 640A)?
I've only ever tested stock and the Leo Vince slip-on on a high-flow head model, but I would say without hesitation that if you want the ultimate, install an Akrapovic full system.

Regards,

Derek
Old 04-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #281
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
The exhaust system on the Hi Flo engine equipped bikes comes with a big enough header/midpipe as a 1 piece unit from the factory{actually 2 piece if you count the double headers}... You could go even larger by purchasing one of the full system setups, fine if your a racer building a racebike to circle the globe, but probably over kill for the average traveller... The muffler part of it is the only part that most who do make changes swap out..
I agree when retaining the BST40. However with an FCR41, the stock head pipe will not flow enough.

Regards,

Derek
Old 04-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #282
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
To add capacity to your oil system ,you may just find some of the current oil tanks from tank manufactures will fit.you can get a 3 qt hd tank cheap in various shapes,also aluminum in smaller sizes for the dirt bikes and adapt them. a cooler will not add but ounces to your capacity.
Something like this,/www.cfmperformanceatv.com/yfz450propg.htm
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #283
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
To add capacity to your oil system ,you may just find some of the current oil tanks from tank manufactures will fit.you can get a 3 qt hd tank cheap in various shapes,also aluminum in smaller sizes for the dirt bikes and adapt them. a cooler will not add but ounces to your capacity.
Something like this,/www.cfmperformanceatv.com/yfz450propg.htm
firstly let me correct your link, yours takes you to a bogus page this is the correct link for the oil cooler and oil tank yokesman is trying to show us LINK

OK, i see what you are getting at and i kind of have the problem resolved i think, just need to get around to doing it, agreed oil coolers don't add too much volume but i am only seriously looking for about 1/2 - 3/4 of a liter then i am the same as the 640A...then its all good

an additional oil tank is a difficult proposition as finding space to locate it is difficult as basically there isn't any!!!
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #284
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,700
lets get away from oil coolers and exhaust for short time...

so around the same time my tank came in my fairing did too.

now this is my opinion here so bear with me...when i originally started in business i was a one man show, the little guy so to speak, and if no one took a chance on me i would have closed my doors real quick, so that being said if i find a small company or inmate in this case who is making a cool,useful, practical and well made product i am all behind him...even if it does cost a few dollars more as 'he' is a one man show right now and makes everything himself

enter stage left Bernard aka inmate 'aiMhi' and his website http://www.aimhi-enduro.com/ he has worked hard on this fairing and it shows, it is a quality piece of equipment...so check out his site and if you do get one of these fairings please let him know you saw it in this build thread so he knows where the order came from and who to talk to...believe me as a one man show you can't be everywhere

now not only does he make a great product he also sells someone elses great product too, Rigid IndustriesLED light, and if you haven't seen this already take two minutes out and watch...

OK onto get everything mounted, went backwards and forwards and tried a few variations of mounts and none i really liked, even one attaching it to the hand guards, reason being that i didn't stay with that is when the bike goes down and it will, the weight of the bike will go on the hand protectors in my case Barkbusters, so my first thought was to mount it to them and then realized i was an idiot and the first time the bike goes down the fairing will be junked

so for a little inspiration i went out, most of you may go to a bike shop or a spend an hour or two on the internet trying to find a solution

not me...i headed out to Viva Las Vegas hotrod show...lots of out of the box thinkers there

and i found this...stainless steel 2 1/4" exhaust clamps from summit racing, the upper fork legs on the SXC are approximately that size

take two of those and two pieces of inner tube

then even fitted a extra gallon of gas and then took it off again

OK so once i knew the direction i was really headed in i got to doing it after dicking around for a few days

start with a blank canvas, and as this fairing doesn't come with mounts it is your choice how you get it mounted

the inside of the fairing has some mount points, two brackets at the top i ended up not using BTW

made some lower mounts, the hole in the very front mounts to the bottom mount of the fairing

once that was in place then i made upper mounts and cross members in a rough mock up

this is how they mounted, i added coupling nuts to make it obvious where the mounts fitted on the exhaust clamp, structurally very strong and minimal weight

because of not have access to all my machines and tools (sold most of it already sadly) i was just hand fabbing stuff with simple tools and fitting this by eye most of the time

i ordered some perferated aluminum sheet, a 12x12 piece

from custom car grills i got some with 1/2" holes so i could dimple it with these 1/2"dimple dies

dimples add rigidity and structure to an otherwise very flimsy piece of material

what are you doing that for i hear you say?????

well even though i have built hundreds of bikes i haven't really built anything like this but i know from my personal experience what i need and what will work, with the gas tank i chose a tank bag is out of the question or if i did get one then it would be very small and in the wrong location...so yes i have a GPS but i like maps as well, so i need somewhere to put them while i'm riding...so i made this

all mounted up and put it together with a waterproof 8x12 map pocket, but i still need a final clip system which i'm working on but for now here's the idea

and here how it looks from the front, the photo distorts the view a little and makes it look massive but its not, the top sits about chin high which is perfect, simliar to the XT so i know it works and i can see

so now all this is mounted i can finally get on with rewiring as i know what space i have to work with...thats all for now
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #285
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,766
At first glance all I can say is that the fairing may be functional but I wouldn't call it a thing of beauty... It does appear to be very tall in your pics but once the fender is mounted that may change how it looks... It looks like you have some room to lower it if sight line height turns out to be an issue...

Does the Acerbis 4 liter jug have a fuel tap in the bottom?
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote