Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #286
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
At first glance all I can say is that the fairing may be functional but I wouldn't call it a thing of beauty... It does appear to be very tall in your pics but once the fender is mounted that may change how it looks... It looks like you have some room to lower it if sight line height turns out to be an issue...

Does the Acerbis 4 liter jug have a fuel tap in the bottom?
it actually looks a lot better in person and as the tank is angular it fits very well, this bike is not like the adventure with lots of rounded edges...height wise not an issue, it sits exactly the same height as my fairing on my XT, but looks twice the size and once i do the next phase it won't look so...WHITE...and enormous, the way i have made the mount i can make adjustments and it is easily removable with only 3 bolts,

i simply couldn't afford or want to pay the Rally Raid style fairings price at $1000 +, and besides no one made one that i could find that i liked

i didn't end up keeping the extra tank on the bike, and no it doesn't have a bottom tap...but its going up for sale if anyone wants it

rtwpaul screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 09:34 PM
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #287
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Paul.............another tip...........make your side stand foot bigger.......I think I made mine about 2" in diameter instead of the measly 1 1/2 foot it came with.

Cheers
Old 04-11-2013, 12:58 AM   #288
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Paul.............another tip...........make your side stand foot bigger.......I think I made mine about 2" in diameter instead of the measly 1 1/2 foot it came with.

Cheers
yep, got it covered already, but need to load the bike to see what the lean angle needs to be and if i need to shorten the stand or just add the plate
Old 04-11-2013, 02:29 AM   #289
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

I just added the plate to the SW Motech side stand. Mine has stock suspenders.......no lowering links......so the 1/8 plate made no difference in stand height.

Cheers
Old 04-11-2013, 05:58 AM   #290
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,463
i really like the map pocket thing w/the alu backing.... sweet stuff.... i gotta make some of those dimpling dies, you can make some cool stuff w/them....

i realize it's pretty much heresy today, but i still like paper maps and a compass. used to use them on a boat, old school w/dividers and parallels (wonder how many of these genX dorks even know what that stuff is?). i just can't believe how guys can just take out, not know exactly where they're going, and let the little black box tell them where to go. sign of the times, kinda freudian, actually....

..it's nice to have the overview of exactly where you are, not just that little GPS screen.... i always make a buncha copies of the route on googlemaps, then you have a custom roadbook. i'd put it on my tankbag, but that little console is farging cool!, and you can see the maps at a glance...... i just can't get behind that little box telling me to "turn right here"... little easier if it's a nice chick's voice, though....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #291
FreeGranite
Nubile dirtrider

Oddometer: 118
Paul, that looks sweet. Will the Rigid have a high/low feature on it? I'd assume you won't plan on much night riding, and I bet that Rigid puts out plenty of light but any plans for auxiliary lighting?
FreeGranite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #292
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
I just added the plate to the SW Motech side stand. Mine has stock suspenders.......no lowering links......so the 1/8 plate made no difference in stand height.

Cheers
what i meant was when the bike is loaded for RTW travel you have a lot of weight that makes the suspension sag, therefore it stands a little more upright, and more susceptible to blowing over in strong wind gust, with the XT i had to shorten the stand by almost 1 1/4" to make it have the same lean angle as stock
Old 04-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #293
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post

..it's nice to have the overview of exactly where you are, not just that little GPS screen....
i use a GPS and maps, the GPS is great in towns or large cities to get you from one side to the other when there is no other choice and with a compass as well when the GPS shows a road and it doesn't exist, simple to follow a direction until you are back on track...

but the problem with the GPS you are not aware of what is outside of that little box you are riding in (parameters of the screen) so a map comes in handy to see things father a field that you could easily miss, but i agree then it comes down to orienteering and map reading knowledge to know how to convert printed to visual and actual
Old 04-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #294
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeGranite View Post
Paul, that looks sweet. Will the Rigid have a high/low feature on it? I'd assume you won't plan on much night riding, and I bet that Rigid puts out plenty of light but any plans for auxiliary lighting?
the Rigid only comes with an on and off function, so i will add a controller from Skene Designs so i can use it as a high low light using the stock switch, i won't but if you wanted they have another version where you can add another switch and have multiple lighting strengths and/or pulsing feature as well, very cool...but minimal night riding for me as it cuts into beer drinking time
Old 04-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #295
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
At first glance all I can say is that the fairing may be functional but I wouldn't call it a thing of beauty... It does appear to be very tall in your pics but once the fender is mounted that may change how it looks... It looks like you have some room to lower it if sight line height turns out to be an issue...

Does the Acerbis 4 liter jug have a fuel tap in the bottom?
Gunner,
It's upside down.
b

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #296
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

what i used to do before i started messing around with orange things...a link to the flea market on here
Old 04-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #297
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Nice job on the custom! Reminds me a bit of a Goldhamer (Canadian custom builder ... one of the best I've seen)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #298
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Nice job on the custom! Reminds me a bit of a Goldhamer (Canadian custom builder ... one of the best I've seen)
roger and i used to meet up at shows, when i built this bike in 2007 i was placed sixth in the world and i think he was ninth IIRC out of around 3850 builders...voting was done by fellow builders not by the public
Old 04-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #299
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
what i used to do before i started messing around with orange things...a link to the flea market on here
Seeing that makes me wonder why I bothered giving you any advice in regards to your KTM????

That is spectacular Paul!!
Old 04-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #300
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

if you ever get tired of the dirt and go the V twin route you know who to contact then...but hold tight cause i know i'll be bugging you again for something else on this KTM...which BTW is a lot easier to build, but it is unique hence this thread