Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #301
Stained
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,572
So - how's it coming? Haven't seen an update for awhile!

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
Stained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #302
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
So - how's it coming? Haven't seen an update for awhile!
had a few challenges along the way, i should have it buttoned up by the end of next week i hope and i'll add a few posts as i go along....but thanks for looking
rtwpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #303
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 980
yeah!.... i wanna see that bad boy.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #304
FreeGranite
Nubile dirtrider

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
yeah!.... i wanna see that bad boy.....
This!!!
FreeGranite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #305
Stained
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,572

Is this thing on?? You out there Paul?

Updates?

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
Stained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #306
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post

Is this thing on?? You out there Paul?

Updates?

just heading out to get some gas so i can fire it up and ride into the sunshine and post some photos...

had a few unforeseen things happen (not with the bike) so had to go and get a part time job, and then they scheduled me 6 days straight...work is a PITA is really gets in the way of having fun

nearly there, honest
Old 05-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #307
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

ok where was i i????

oh yeah, wiring hell, when i got the bike i didn't check the horn or turn signals for function as i knew i would switch them out anyway...once i was doing a few tests found the horn did not function, turn signals were intermittent at best but i found this one out once i had done my set up then had to source the internet for an exact replacement (there's a week including shipping)

anyhow once done and rewired with deutsch connectors the finished article

for those of you unfamiliar with them here's a few photos

so if you asking why use these and not the molex connectors that come with your bike, these ones...

well, in the field the deutsch are are a lot more user friendly, you can isolate one individual wire without cutting it, remove it from the circuit, fix repair and replace easily, with the molex you can't do this as easily, also the deutsch is waterproof (resistant) the molex isn't creating possible shorts

they are standard equipment on Harley Davidson and Cat powered trucks amongst others, easily sourced on the interent and a few spare pins is all you need for a repair (very unlikely the pin with break)

the 'almost' finished article

using these i can take off my fairing simply undoing three connectors and three nuts

as i had changed from standard incandescent bulbs to LED's, there is a problem...the LED is 'just on' it runs on full power, so to make it switchable for high beam and low beam using the stock switch you will need one of these

its a Skene IQ170 controller Jerry is an inmate on here and he has put together a very good product, it allows the use of the stock switch and make hi/lo function work without having to add anymore switches, there is also an upgrade on there to custom brightness you can look into

here's the instructions

but for basics this is what you get

lo beam

hi beam

another useful thing i have added is a 12 volt digital voltmeter, useful to know where your system is at, at all times especially if you add heated vests, gps, heated grips, spot trackers, hardwired cameras etc

i got this from adv monster here and quite simply connect it to a key 12 volt power wire, black to ground and red and blue combined to power, i had one of these on my XT for thousands of miles and its works great, also the 'power on' orange bulb in my system pops very ofter so this basically replaces it, i used 3M double sided tape to mount it on top of the steering dampner

my finger is pointing at a 12 volt power connector that i added

as you can see there is also a GPS on the bars now as well, make sure you have this to keyed power otherwise it will constantly draw from your battery even when your bike is off, then you get to use your kickstarter
Old 05-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #308
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,056
Looks good, the Deustch connectors tidy things up nicely. I was thinking of rewiring wth them myself as the 3 main connectors there on the 640 all have redundant pins. However I decided the headlight upgrade project was suffering from too much scope creep as it was & I need to get the damn thing back together so I can go for a ride.

Hopefully by this afternoon the local auto sparky will have received my shipment of the rare & elusive 4.8mm lanced female QC terminals & I can start on the wiring phase of the project as the structure is now mostly finished.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #309
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
ok where was i i????

turn signals were intermittent at best

Those ARE supposed to work intermittently you know

Looking nice... The little glimpse we got of the paint scheme looks pretty cool to me.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #310
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,056
My take on an improved dash/screen/headlight setup:

More details over in the fab thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=176

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=178

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #311
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

while waiting on the new flasher to arrive it was time to mount a few things, to make my life more comfortable/ safer/ easier for working on the bike etc...

my bike (not sure about yours) doesn't have a front brake pressure switch, so no brake light activation when its used and we all know that front brake gets used a lot...so i added a pressure switch into the system

the pegs on my bike are the same ones for the mini bikes, so tiny and not many options so a post on here and 'gunnerbuck' stepped to tell my to change the left side mount so i could use any pegs

i had this problem with my peg extenders

difference in mounts and saved almost a pound in weight

another inmate 'motomark39' contacted me with a stock set of pegs unused from 2004

now my new extender fit, they are from zipty racing...yes i know they are huge but i am not riding solely on sigle track so this is more of a comfort upgrade

here they are mounted and in the background a dreaded Touratech piece!!! The only compnay i could find who made one, or i would have to resort to cutting the plastic piece up...i took the TT route

the horn had failed so a replacement from sickspeed and 124 db output

the front turn signals were a joke, cheap Chinese crap so i mounted some hi output LED's onto the fairing....i will deal with the same junk on the back once i get my luggage situation worked out

the cross member for the tank is made from aluminum and Safari suggest you call them for a new one if this bends in a fall...not a problem if you are going home every night, i'm not so i made a more substantial one and also changed out the 60 cent pipe clamp out and replaced it with a U bolt

seat concepts made me a seat, gripper top and carbon sides with orange stitching

a thermometer from a fish tank store for a $1, mounted on the inside of the fairing

Old 05-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #312
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

i filled the tank, got the stated 27 liters in it ...took the bike for a quick test ride and had some carb issues, back home carb rebuild and now its all good

rode 75 miles today and everything seems to be where i want/ need it to be, just need to change the gearing to 16 or 17/42 for more streetable riding, right now its at 15/45 which is wheelie territory in every gear

headed out to Calico Basin this afternoon and here's the finished article

the graphics were done by a company here in Las Vegas called 702 hydrographics

the plastics are coated with a hydrographic 'real fire' film over a special paint and then clear coated for durability, might not be everybodies ideal color scheme but i like it, and thats what counts....and it make me visible to the crazy car drivers here in vegas...but don't be surprised if the bike turns solid black when i'm heading into a country where i need to blend in as much as possible

i'm heading to Overland Expo this weekend so if you are there stop by and say hello

*****once i come back i'll go over the auxiliary oil tank and a few other minor items

rtwpaul screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 09:07 PM
Old 05-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #313
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
i filled the tank, got the stated 27 liters in it ...took the bike for a quick test ride and had some carb issues, back home carb rebuild and now its all good

rode 75 miles today and everything seems to be where i want/ need it to be, just need to change the gearing to 16 or 17/42 for more streetable riding, right now its at 15/45 which is wheelie territory in every gear

headed out to Calico Basin this afternoon and here's the finished article

the graphics were done by a company here in Las Vegas called 702 hydrographics

the plastics are coated with a hydrographic 'real fire' film over a special paint and then clear coated for durability, might not be everybodies ideal color scheme but i like it, and thats what counts....and it make me visible to the crazy car drivers here in vegas...but don't be surprised if the bike turns solid black when i'm heading into a country where i need to blend in as much as possible

i'm heading to Overland Expo this weekend so if you are there stop by and say hello

*****once i come back i'll go over the auxiliary oil tank and a few other minor items
Looks good, any idea of what kind of weight your at before luggage?
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #314
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,075
Paul;
The bike looks great!

Good job!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #315
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Looks good, any idea of what kind of weight your at before luggage?
weight from the factory is 291lbs for my model year, i have added 16lbs so i'm at 307lbs dry weight and most of that is the difference in the weight of the gas tank, if i change the battery out i can reclaim some of that back or the way i'm looking at it 118lbs lighter than my XT...feels like i'm riding a bicycle