Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 01:28 AM   #361
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
Apologies if this has already been mentioned/dealt with but, have you considered swapping your regulator/rectifier for a mosfet type? I know RoninMoto's (post above) 690 stock has failed. That's the second one on his bike to go.
you know i have thought about it, on my XT it was a known failing point so i carried a spare, and it never failed, but after seeing Noah and his issues i am seriously considering your point

i have been so slammed over the last few weeks i haven't even been able to get to the bike to finish the last few loose ends that i need to deal with, i'll add this to the list
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #362
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castleman View Post
Your SXC will become a very trusty friend. I wish I could tag along on your adventure. Some spare parts that I would suggest for the very reliable LC4 is both water pump bearings and seal and a spare intake roller follower. .
Unless I was well in the boonies or approaching due for a water pump service (40K km) I wouldn't bother with the water pump bearings as they are a common size. I would take the seal & also a shaft.

Quote:
Apologies if this has already been mentioned/dealt with but, have you considered swapping your regulator/rectifier for a mosfet type? I know RoninMoto's (post above) 690 stock has failed. That's the second one on his bike to go.
625/640 LC4's don't seem to have too many issues with the std rec/reg compared to the 690's. Having said that I'd probably look at keeping my present healthy but elderly one as a spare & getting a MOSFET upgrade if I was buggering off on a long trip.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #363
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,074
Paul;
If you have not done so already.........brace the right side of the subframe like the left side.

I did not bother to do mine as I thought I would not have a problem since I only carry about 5lbs on the rack.

Mistake.......the tubular brace on the right side cracked ( I have no tool tube there)!!

I also discovered the left side upper subframe bolt was completely backed out and only held in by the gas tank. It had been lock tighted!!

I think I will try and find some longer bolts so I can put a nylock on the subframe bolts if I have room.

Cheers
Old 07-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #364
lpr22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Tires

I don't know if you have already stated this or not in one of your replies, but what tires are you going to be running on your trip and are they the same tires that are on your bike now?
lpr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #365
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpr22 View Post
I don't know if you have already stated this or not in one of your replies, but what tires are you going to be running on your trip and are they the same tires that are on your bike now?
right now i have TKC's on it, i like them for grip but not durability...on the road its a case of get what you can, i have got great mileage out of Kendas K270's over 14,000 miles on a rear on my XT, not the greatest tire, but with that sort of mileage and the price its always a cheaper option, but for some reason the fronts wear out on me in about 3-5000 miles and cup very badly,

heidenau k60 always a good 50/50 tire fronts last forever, (guess i don't have my front wheel on the ground enough )

i have just been sent a suppliers name who will deliver them anywhere in Russia when i'm there, and he also has Michelin Desert or Michelin Desert Race

for the far east and stans, probably looking at some no name chinese brand that will last 1000 miles if i'm lucky

if anyone has had particularly good grip and wear characteristics from other tires please post your suggestions
Old 07-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #366
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
right now i have TKC's on it, i like them for grip but not durability...on the road its a case of get what you can, i have got great mileage out of Kendas K270's over 14,000 miles on a rear on my XT, not the greatest tire, but with that sort of mileage and the price its always a cheaper option, but for some reason the fronts wear out on me in about 3-5000 miles and cup very badly,

heidenau k60 always a good 50/50 tire fronts last forever, (guess i don't have my front wheel on the ground enough )

i have just been sent a suppliers name who will deliver them anywhere in Russia when i'm there, and he also has Michelin Desert or Michelin Desert Race

for the far east and stans, probably looking at some no name chinese brand that will last 1000 miles if i'm lucky

if anyone has had particularly good grip and wear characteristics from other tires please post your suggestions
Check out Mitas tires. Especially the Dakar series. Durable and great grip.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #367
wrk2surf
BITD/Rallye

Oddometer: 5,954
Dunlop rally raid D 908s!
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #368
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,569
Hi Paul,
My information is 5 years old so consider the source.

I ran Metzler Karros and Pirelli MT80's in Russia and Mongolia. In Mongolia and maybe the Stans you may want knobbys and the full sized rear tire. I run Kenda 270's here but the rear is a size small.

How are you getting there?
You could take an extra set with and ship them ahead on your route by train.

I hooked up with Russian bikers who helped me on Horizons.

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #369
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Hi Paul,
My information is 5 years old so consider the source.

I ran Metzler Karros and Pirelli MT80's in Russia and Mongolia. In Mongolia and maybe the Stans you may want knobbys and the full sized rear tire. I run Kenda 270's here but the rear is a size small.

How are you getting there?
You could take an extra set with and ship them ahead on your route by train.

I hooked up with Russian bikers who helped me on Horizons.

bill
I'm interested in trying the Karoo 3's on the 640. Thinking they might give a little better life than the TKC and they're cheaper too!

The front probably isn't the most stable thing in the loose stuff though..

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #370
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I'm interested in trying the Karoo 3's on the 640. Thinking they might give a little better life than the TKC and they're cheaper too!

The front probably isn't the most stable thing in the loose stuff though..

I have one sitting here to try for my next swap, it looks better in person than in the pics... I'm thinking that it may be a candidate as a distance tire... The front versions tread is too shallow for my liking so I'll pair it with something with more bite like an MT 21...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #371
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

OK, let me back this up a little...

i still need to do a little more work on the KTM before it is ready for RTW travel, just been slammed with real work and building a couple of bikes to make some $ to make all this possible. (one is getting picked up for shipment today )

in my down time (very, very little) i have been debating routes RTW, and although i posted a possible one earlier i have decided for a major revision, instead of a RTW, its now looking like a double RTW.

WHY?

well China poses a big stumbling block as travel is possible but currently very expensive which means its a long detour or lots of doubling back and seasons of course the weather plays a very big part too...

my original plan was to head to NZ next year but have put that on hold for a while and decided on my next stop to be South Korea and then ferry to Zarubino in Russia and ride east to west but before that i have to get to Magadan so a ride on the RoB and BAM is possible if conditions allow

VERY basic idea to show you where this is headed...

from there it'll be the stans, europe, new RO/RO boat from the UK to Uraguay and go and see all the places i missed in South America the first two times and back into the states for the shipment from LAX to NZ then it all carries on from there on lap #2

you might need to pull out a map if your geography isn't up to scratch to make sense of what i'm doing

...proposed leaving date from Nevada has been pushed up now to May 2014

OK so back to tires, Russia and mongolia and all points west....

i've been in contact with Walter Colebatch and he in turn has put me in touch with his tire supplier in Russia, who can ship anywhere in that massive country with about one month notice, so i have a short list of tires to choose from...so back to your opinions on the list

i will ride from Zarubino to Magadan on relatively fresh rubber bought in Washington state or Vancouver Canada (point of shipment to South Korea)....riding distance is 5100 km +/- then whatever i do in korea on top of that, so i figure any tire will last

i will have new tires waiting in Magadan and then new tires waiting in Ulan Ude or Irkutsk to carry in Mongolia with me for after the RoB and BAM, change or carry as necessary, and again new tires waiting in Barnaul to ride into the Stans, after that i have to pick up tires along the road somewhere

my choice of tires that i think are suitable on the currently available list are

TKC80
karoo 2
karoo 3
tourance
enduro 3
scorpion rally
MT21
MT43 scorpion trail
anekee 2
anekee
T63
desert race
shiko E700 E705
Heidenau k60

rtwpaul screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 03:11 PM
Old 07-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #372
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
OK, let me back this up a little...

i still need to do a little more work on the KTM before it is ready for RTW travel, just been slammed with real work and building a couple of bikes to make some $ to make all this possible. (one is getting picked up for shipment today )

in my down time (very, very little) i have been debating routes RTW, and although i posted a possible one earlier i have decided for a major revision, instead of a RTW, its now looking like a double RTW.

WHY?

well China poses a big stumbling block as travel is possible but currently very expensive which means its a long detour or lots of doubling back and seasons of course the weather plays a very big part too...

my original plan was to head to NZ next year but have put that on hold for a while and decided on my next stop to be South Korea and then ferry to Zarubino in Russia and ride east to west but before that i have to get to Magadan so a ride on the RoB and BAM is possible if conditions allow

VERY basic idea to show you where this is headed...

from there it'll be the stans, europe, new RO/RO boat from the UK to Uraguay and go and see all the places i missed in South America the first two times and back into the states for the shipment from LAX to NZ then it all carries on from there on lap #2

you might need to pull out a map if your geography isn't up to scratch to make sense of what i'm doing

...proposed leaving date from Nevada has been pushed up now to May 2014

OK so back to tires, Russia and mongolia and all points west....

i've been in contact with Walter Colebatch and he in turn has put me in touch with his tire supplier in Russia, who can ship anywhere in that massive country with about one month notice, so i have a short list of tires to choose from...so back to your opinions on the list

i will ride from Zarubino to Magadan on relatively fresh rubber bought in Washington state or Vancouver Canada (point of shipment to South Korea)....riding distance is 5100 km +/- then whatever i do in korea on top of that, so i figure any tire will last

i will have new tires waiting in Magadan and then new tires waiting in Ulan Ude or Irkutsk to carry in Mongolia with me for after the RoB and BAM, change or carry as necessary, and again new tires waiting in Barnaul to ride into the Stans, after that i have to pick up tires along the road somewhere

my choice of tires that i think are suitable on the currently available list are

TKC80
karoo 2
karoo 3
tourance
enduro 3
scorpion rally
MT21
MT43 scorpion trail
anekee 2
anekee
T63
desert race
shiko E700 E705
Heidenau k60
Paul,
I'd skip Magadan and just ride the Trans-Siberian to Mongolia and then do Lake Bikal and Olkhon Island.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw5pqwmpD5g

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olkhon_Island

And do a month in the Gobi desert.

Way more interesting.

Knobbies.

Your visa for Russia may only be 3 months?
b

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:07 PM   #373
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Paul,
I'd skip Magadan and just ride the Trans-Siberian to Mongolia and then do Lake Bikal and Olkhon Island.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw5pqwmpD5g

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olkhon_Island

And do a month in the Gobi desert.

Way more interesting.

Knobbies.

Your visa for Russia may only be 3 months?
b
i watched that video and i must say that is one of the most boring 'adventure videos' i have ever seen, doesn't make me want to go there at all especially on straight main roads and freeways like he did, i will stay off the Trans Siberian as much as possible like i stayed off the Pan American...i am taking the KTM purposefully to go father a field and take as many back roads as possible, otherwise i would rent a car or have bought a POS BMW GSA and be waiting for hours for the passers by to help rescue me or pick it up when i dropped it

Magadan is just a thing, a place, a location to check off a list, like Ushuaia and prudhoe, key west, Nord Kapp, Capetown...it has meaning to me but if no one else cares thats not an issue, i'll just do it anyway...i may end up in the Gobi for a month, i have no time restraints and as noted the map is a VERY vague representation of where i am going but Lake Baikal is on my route

as for the visa, gone are the days when you have to lie that you are on a business trip and get a 30 - 90 day visa, nowadays it is easy to get a 3 year multi entry with stays in russia for 6 months at a time without exit as a tourist, so for me no concern there
Old 07-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #374
MeinMotorrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Balkans - have you seen Gliga's rr Some great routes. He seems to be having a photobucket issue at the moment but go to page 13 and the pics are still up.

TKC80. I found these tyres to be too unpredictable on wet tarmac, rear anyway.
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #375
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Balkans - have you seen Gliga's rr Some great routes. He seems to be having a photobucket issue at the moment but go to page 13 and the pics are still up.

TKC80. I found these tyres to be too unpredictable on wet tarmac, rear anyway.
that looks superb kind views and tracks i want all the way from the Sea of Japan to the English Channel, i will have to contact him for some routes in his area...i'll bookmark it and hopefully the photos come back up

kind of agree with you on the TKC, wasn't sure of it was just me