Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #61
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
I have that Rad rear hub for my bike and I believe the rubber cush is the same as stock KTm 640A.

Good idea on the bicycle inner tube fix!

Cheers
that would be good if they are the same, makes them more readily available

here the fix in action, when/ if you do it, use soapy water or just water NOT any oil based lubricant to help the new very tight fit as that would break down the rubber over time and dirt will stick to it

this is on my XT

and this was at about 50,000 miles when a rear wheel bearing shattered, i figured a good as time as any to put in a new set as they got pretty warm in a hurry, i think i could have got another 25,000 miles out of them without a bearing failure

rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #62
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Yep, wanted a spare.

Cheers
its all good i'll go with the safari and no fuel pump but thanks for trying for me
Old 02-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #63
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
thats the one i mean, and not needing a fuel pump is the added advantage, less to go wrong, didn't realize the 640A had a pump i thought they came in later

definitely no oil in frame but i am going to look at a 640A for oil routing this week to determine a reservoir location but if you have photos of your version that would be a great help as its a direct model for model comparison, put them up on here if you have them
The 640 A has a small vacuum operated fuel pump that allows you to get the last bits of fuel out of the tank... In other words 80-90% of the fuel will flow to the carb with gravity and rather than have the KLR trapped fuel syndrome, KTM installed the pump to make use of the last remaining bits... If the pump does crap out you can hook direct to the carb or replace the pump diaphragms, so in reality losing the pump is not a show stopper like it is on the F.I. bikes...

The Safari tank must hold the fuel up higher in order to not need a pump to make use of all the capacity... I wonder if it has a crossover line to move fuel from one wing to the other?
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #64
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,596
Quote:
its all good i'll go with the safari and no fuel pump but thanks for trying for me
Good move to go with the Safari, my Adventure tank leads takes me to 2 tanks that have already sold...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #65
CSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Would the safari tank be lighter, and perhaps easier to repair if the need arises?
CSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #66
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSF View Post
Would the safari tank be lighter, and perhaps easier to repair if the need arises?
just read thru your thread, lots of good information there for me when i get to that point, you are doing some killer work there, and in your garage as well with what looks like limited resources

the main key to what you are doing is learning every little part of your bike, so 'if' anything happens out on the trail you will know where to look and how to fix it quickly and cleanly, i'm saying this as a guy who used to build about 100 bikes a year

if your tank isn't mounted yet, weigh it and make a note, i will do the same when i get the safari so we can compare

i will keep track of everything that comes off and on the bike to see what the final figure is as well
Old 02-24-2013, 04:58 AM   #67
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
DR v KTM

I realise these are different bikes in many respects but do you think the DR could be as good as the KTM, even simpler with air cooling. There is a 790 big bore kit as well that takes the DR to 55HP at the wheel apparently.

I realise this is a bit out of context so ignore it if it risks widening the thread too much.

Your prep is getting me thinking along the lines of a single for an across Russia ride although mine will be less certain that your's for some time yet.

dave
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #68
CSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
just read thru your thread, lots of good information there for me when i get to that point, you are doing some killer work there, and in your garage as well with what looks like limited resources

the main key to what you are doing is learning every little part of your bike, so 'if' anything happens out on the trail you will know where to look and how to fix it quickly and cleanly, i'm saying this as a guy who used to build about 100 bikes a year

if your tank isn't mounted yet, weigh it and make a note, i will do the same when i get the safari so we can compare

i will keep track of everything that comes off and on the bike to see what the final figure is as well
Thanks! Yup I'm doing all the work in my garage with fairly simple tools. I'm learning tons about the bike as I go, I love having that info with me when I ride. Really knowing your bike is probably one of the best tools you can have in your tool kit.

I haven't mounted up my tank yet, I'll weigh it and post up what I find.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your bike and following along with your ride report, excellent work.
CSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #69
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveburton View Post
I realise these are different bikes in many respects but do you think the DR could be as good as the KTM, even simpler with air cooling. There is a 790 big bore kit as well that takes the DR to 55HP at the wheel apparently.

I realise this is a bit out of context so ignore it if it risks widening the thread too much.

Your prep is getting me thinking along the lines of a single for an across Russia ride although mine will be less certain that your's for some time yet.

dave
how i would look at is this, it weighs more about 15+ kgs more, there is no way to get that weight off the bike to make it the same as this KTM, its impossible, i personally wanted a 250 or a bike that weighs as much as a 250 and thats why i ended up buying a SXC, Dave you know me i'll ride it like a 250 as well

now the things you need to consider is the level of components, by the time you change a lot of stuff out on the DR what have you raised the price too? or if you get a used one with low mileage with some farkles on it do the prices even out, i looked at DR's and i was see bikes with 5-10,000 miles on them for the same price and i still had to spend another $3-5000 to make them equivalent before i started looking at the real mods i needed to make

as for doing a big bore kit i would go against that 100%, reason being you are looking to go into the middle of nowhere, if there is an big issue you want to be able to get parts, by doing a kit like this you have reduced you availability of suppliers down to maybe one company and unless you are the one who did all the work, all the mechanics that know and understand has reduced as well...do the fixes that cure common problems but always try to keep as close as stock on a ride like that for dependability

if i were you as you have plenty of time i would test ride every bike out there you have the interest in and make a few judgement calls
Old 02-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #70
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSF View Post
Really knowing your bike is probably one of the best tools you can have in your tool kit.
well said...could not agree more

did everyone get that, now go into your garage and take your bikes apart

Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #71
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,201
Old 02-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #72
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
put your popcorn down and say something
Old 02-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #73
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveburton View Post
dave
"as good as the KTM" at What? The DR won't match a 625 off road without extensive, expensive mods. Even with the 790 kit, I doubt it could match the KTM in speed.
But as a LD travel/touring bike? For me, I'll take the DR650. If I were a better mechanic and was willing to carry tools & spares, I would consider the KTM.
Having owned and tested KTM's since the late 1980's ... I do love the bikes. But it's essentially a race bike, not really designed to go 50,000 miles carrying a big load on terrible roads. The DR needs about $1500 to be travel ready from stock. Stock motor is best for Russia or any LD travel, IMHO.

Weight
I'd be interested to know what the KTM will weigh once bash plate, bark busters, racks, gussets, tools, parts, hardware and luggage are all attached.
Still lighter than the DR I'm sure. Paul, I'd like to see a weight figure, wet, once you get to that point. I'd go with your 15 kg. figure (33 lbs.) estimate.
Dave, having ridden a kitted DR725 (JE HC Piston, hot cam, Pumper carb) I can assure you it makes no where near 55 HP. The KTM 640's will still smoke the DR in any speed contest ... and I doubt the 790 is much better.

I compared DR's ... back to back to my stock DR650 (two other DR's actually) The kitted DR was stronger and snappier off the bottom ... after that, about the same as my stock bike but used about 15% more fuel doing aggressive riding.
For long range travel, speed and off road prowess aren't a priority (for me). Longevity, simplicity and strength are. Some folks wouldn't be caught dead on a DR or a KLR ... and I can understand why having ridden a stock KLR through Baja and Mexico for 5500 miles and six weeks. It sucked!

A modded DR is better, still ... not much of a dirt bike compared to the KTM. But going RTW isn't about dirt bikes it's about making it through. The DR is the poor mans, low dollar, compromise bike. Cheap and expendable.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #74
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
if i were you as you have plenty of time i would test ride every bike out there you have the interest in and make a few judgement calls
Excellent advice. Riding and comparing is the only way. Ride the one that speaks to you.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #75
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
If I were a better mechanic and was willing to carry tools & spares, I would consider the KTM.

going RTW isn't about dirt bikes it's about making it through.

mechanics don't bother me at all, you'll see that when i eventually get into tearing this bike down

as for it being more of a dirt bike than the DR or even my XT, thats exactly what i wanted, my RTW will not be a race or restricted by time so it will be leisurely time frame (think years with lots of down time) interjected with crazy dirt riding moments that this bike can handle while the riders of the DR's, KLR's, GSA, 990's, XC's, F800's, sit and wait while i go and have fun while they empty out there 150 liter $2000 luggage to find there titanium stoves to make themselves a coffee because they didn't get the memo about "lighter is better..."