ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
rwavaktm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Idle Issue

My 06 950 just started some idle issues. It will intermittently die when idling in traffic, hit the starter and she starts right up. Does not happen real frequently but yesterday it happened twice on a 10 minute ride. It just shuts off like you hit the kill switch, but starts back up like nothing is wrong.
Any Ideas? Thanks in Advance!
00 KTM 640
07 ST 1300
rwavaktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,537
first off, make sure that it is idling at 1400.

if it keeps doing it, then I would do the following:

1. drain the carb fuel bowls, leave open
2. pull the top air box cover and remove the air filter
2a. remove the upper black plastic carb adapters
2b. with nozzle attached, spray carb cleaner directly through the each of the three air jets, then blow clear with compressed air.
3. close bowl drains
4. reassemble and test
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,419
Mine is doing it as well. I believe it may have something to do with the carb sync (Or lack of) But I will try the cleaning method mentioned above as well.)
Old 02-22-2013, 04:47 AM   #4
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
Mine is doing it as well. I believe it may have something to do with the carb sync (Or lack of) But I will try the cleaning method mentioned above as well.)
Mine is doing this as well from the day when I've bought it, 20k kms ago.. I've cleaned the carbs 10 times, readjusted the tps, ims, everything.. checked for leaks a dozen times, reset valve clearances, even changd the rear cyl. Head asy and timing chains (not because of this) etc. But nothing helped.. I just set the idle to 1800 and living with it.. with the higher idle it doesnt happen that often.. well it does, one of the cylinders missfire, but it has the momentum to avoid engine stall.. it's very annoying, but life is hard:))
Old 02-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
rwavaktm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Idle Issues

Thanks Head2Wind I will try your suggestions.
Mine has never done this before.
00 KTM 640
07 ST 1300
rwavaktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,762
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78596
Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

I would also suggest that you consider ensuring that all of the usual suspects are addressed in the electrical side as well.

1. side stand switch (i almost always disable this on my dirt-ish bikes)
2. battery and main power terminals, both + and -. Take them loose and CLEAN them, then reassemble to ensure that they are tight.
3. key ignition switch is clean
4. ignition and gear position switch plugs. (this was a recent bug that I found on a very poor running SE.... the ignition pulse harness plug was dirty, cleaned all the connectors and significant miss/stall issue went away).
5. coils COMPLETELY pushed onto spark plugs. I don't know how many bikes I have worked on that the coils are just sitting on the top of the plugs from the last maintenance work.... Pull the bottom boots off the coils and make sure the area is clean and free of all debris. All the crap that the arching creates then can cause misfire arching. Lube with dielectric grease and reinstall.
6. main start/fuse solenoid, the fuse terminals get dirty and/or the connector plug gets dirty.... clean it, grease it, put it back together.

On the 950 the clutch switch does nothing other than latch/unlatch the safety systems. Where on the 990 it tells the ECM to alter fuel/timing etc in addition to the safety latch systems.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
I would also suggest that you consider ensuring that all of the usual suspects are addressed in the electrical side as well.

1. side stand switch (i almost always disable this on my dirt-ish bikes)
2. battery and main power terminals, both + and -. Take them loose and CLEAN them, then reassemble to ensure that they are tight.
3. key ignition switch is clean
4. ignition and gear position switch plugs. (this was a recent bug that I found on a very poor running SE.... the ignition pulse harness plug was dirty, cleaned all the connectors and significant miss/stall issue went away).
5. coils COMPLETELY pushed onto spark plugs. I don't know how many bikes I have worked on that the coils are just sitting on the top of the plugs from the last maintenance work.... Pull the bottom boots off the coils and make sure the area is clean and free of all debris. All the crap that the arching creates then can cause misfire arching. Lube with dielectric grease and reinstall.
6. main start/fuse solenoid, the fuse terminals get dirty and/or the connector plug gets dirty.... clean it, grease it, put it back together.

On the 950 the clutch switch does nothing other than latch/unlatch the safety systems. Where on the 990 it tells the ECM to alter fuel/timing etc in addition to the safety latch systems.
Good list. I could add the following:
  • Check the TPS to make sure it's not throwing off spark advance.
  • Is your front carb oily because of blowby on the balancer shaft seal? If so, change the seal and the plugs.
  • Are you running at different altitudes or temperatures than normal? 950 carbs are finicky, and I find I have to change IMS settings in the cold. Adjustments are minor but make a big difference. If I ride from my normal altitude (850 ft) to Denver, I have to go down one quarter of a turn to make it idle properly. Consider getting a set of FlexJet2s for the bike if you change altitudes or find that the problem is arising during big swings in temperature.
  • How does it start? Does it need choke to start? If not, it's probably rich to begin with.
  • Is your air filter clean? Are there any other air restrictions?
  • When's the last time you balanced the carbs? If it's been awhile, do it again. I've found that getting the carbs just a little out of balance can really impact the bike a lot.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
DeepInIt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,368
The other thing to look at is clutch. The clutch always has drag but it should be smooth. If the clutch is lurching, when you come to a stop it can kill the engine. Does the bike ever die in neutral at a stop? The faults here are plugged clutch oil jet or scratched final clutch disk. Mine was stalling similar to yours and cleaning jet fixed it.
DeepInIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:40 AM   #10
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
I've had a bad choke cable on the 950, it would not retract fully when i depressed the lever hence it was always choking the carbs a bit. At lower revs in 1st gear, and rarely in 2nd would shut the engine off.

New choke cable, correct slack and carbs synchronized solved the issue.

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

+1 on the choke cable failure. I have replace two so far to solve a poor running/intermittent idle problem. The single cable that comes down from the bar got smashed near the airbox and was enough to occasionally/most of the time, not allow the enriching plungers to fully seat. ran poorly, and coughed/sputtered. Have to purchase the whole cable assembly, cannot purchase from KTM just sections of the assembly despite it being modular... In a pinch and budget any one of the cables could be custom made by MotionPro or any shop that still knows how to make cables.