ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #16
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Snips View Post
Anyone got suggestions of hot and cold tire pressures?
Now you're going to make me get slammed for running a weird size rear tire and running lower tire pressures than everybody here recommends- I run 32 or 33 front (cold) 34-35 rear. I don't find that the tires get too hot at those pressures, and the hot psi will rise up maybe 3 psi, about right in my book.

I am running these tubeless, so if I were you, I'd try it, but check temps/pressures. People talk about tubed tires heating up a lot- in my experience, braking and very hard cornering heat a tire up, but riding along at 75 mph on the freeway won't get it very hot if you're running decent tire pressures. YMMV, I'm pretty light.

For comparison, on a dual sport ride I'll often keep my tires at around 24 psi all day street and dirt. No problems with that yet.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #17
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,964
I am very soon to be a new owner....pick the bike up on Monday evening. Fortunately, the bike comes with some good tires, which should have at least 3k miles on them. But, I am already thinking about the next set of sneakers.

I am coming to my 950ADV-S....from a Suzuki VStrom. If you have followed any of my ride reports or my BLOG, you will see that I have taken that Strom, where it wasn't designed to go. In the last two years, I have burned through two sets of Shinko 705's. When that tire is dropped to 20-25 psi, it is incredibly effective off-road. And....I am getting between 5-6k on the 705's on the Strom.

I am temped to give them a try on the 950.....and I just learned that the 705 is available in the 150/70-18 size.

By the way, I don't need the 950 for a dirt bike. When riding conditions call for it....I will be running single track or 'mountain goating' on my XR650R. I am wondering how the 705 will do on the 950 as a dual-sport tire.

Check this out.....

Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com

Big_John screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 09:49 AM
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #18
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Good price, I have the Shinko's as my street XR tires. Not sure how they would hold up on the 990 at 90 MPH.
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #19
Mr_Snips OP
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
Little ride report...tires are awesome...the anakee 3 does way better than i expected in the desert...its not a knobey tire but for what it is it is outstanding. The pilot road 3 also does worlds better than i expected for a 100 percent street tire.

on road is unbelievable...the front brakes arent able to handle the grip provided and even with good fluid i'm able to get them to fade in the twisties as well as get a knee down. i love this combo and for anything short of knobbies i'll stick with them for a long time.
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #20
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Snips View Post
Little ride report...tires are awesome...the anakee 3 does way better than i expected in the desert...its not a knobey tire but for what it is it is outstanding. The pilot road 3 also does worlds better than i expected for a 100 percent street tire.

on road is unbelievable...the front brakes arent able to handle the grip provided and even with good fluid i'm able to get them to fade in the twisties as well as get a knee down. i love this combo and for anything short of knobbies i'll stick with them for a long time.
Sweeeeeeet. Glad to hear it's working for you, I'm going to try that anakee if I need a street 21" tire or if I want a bit more gravel worthiness for my 19" front.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #21
Mr_Snips OP
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
Yeah. I was very amazed at how it did for an extremely non aggressive looking tire
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote