User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,507
Genuine Blur 220?

Do these scooters still exist? Genuine's site seems to be a little outdated. Anyone know anything about them? Any opinions?
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:26 AM   #2
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Join the Genuine Buddy forum for I am sm sure you can get some good info there. Decent forum, I joined when I was researching the buddy. My local Genuine dealer sold one earlier this year. What I know about them is they are all sport based ie very firm suspension and fast. I was very tempted when I was lokking for my 2nd zuma, but one of my requirements is a functioning windscreen and the only one I saw that fit the blur was little more than a flyscreen. I would love a small scoot that would top 65 mph and the blur would fill the bill. Maybe when I grow bored of zuma no2 I will trade for a blur. There is a review of the blur 220i and maybe the 170 over at "just gotta scoot" website.
It looks alive and well on the Genuine site to me? http://genuinescooters.com/blur.html
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
scrappyscooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I have a blur 150 and it's really fun in the twisties. I wish I had more money to buy the 220.
scrappyscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
Unique

This is probably Genuines least popular, but coolest scooter. A high step-over, but fast and aggresive. In California its freeway legal, but thats not the strength of any sub 400cc scooters IMO.

I worked at a Genuine dealer for 3 1/2 years and sold 1 Blur. We had to order it special, as we didnt stock that Genuine model but the buyer loved that scooter and never expressed any regrets.

Due to it's low sales volume, IF future re-sale is a consideration that may not go in its favor. (I always consider re-sale, as at some point in time the urge to change out rides always rears its ugly head...but not everyone cares).

Keep in mind Genuine's most excellent warranty is non transferrable. So if you are buying new, its only good for the original owner, if youre buying used, there is NO warranty regardless of how few miles or how new it is.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,463
The last two Genuine dealers I stopped at had at least one on the floor. Nice looking scooters and the seating position felt good to me. Beyond that, I really don't know much about them. I think someone started a thread about them a while back, I remember posting some pics.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Yes it's still listed on Genuine's site, but I believe as an '09 model. I'm still looking for something that is freeway legal and freeway capable to a point. I don't plan on doing much freeway riding, and don't want a maxi. MSRP on the Blur is $3999, and if it still is, I can actually get one for that. I looked at the BV350, it's a little big, and costs $5499, but you cannot actually buy one for anywhere near that. Oddball brand scooters bother me a little, as far as reliability and parts availability. I grew up with, and got used to Japanese reliability. But in this case, the Japanese don't make what I want, so it will have to be Taiwanese or European. Aprilia is out, there are no new ones available locally. Things at SYM are just too uncertain right now. The Blur 220 was the only thing Genuine had that probably fit my needs (I have seriously thought about the Buddy 170) I don't really know about Genuine parts availability, I use vintage Vespa parts from Scooterworks on my Stella. The only thing left is Kymco and Piaggio. Both high quality, but you can't just go to bikebandit.com and get parts.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
GeeGusKahn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Do these scooters still exist? Genuine's site seems to be a little outdated. Anyone know anything about them? Any opinions?
try this forum.
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/index.html

Sent from my Trash 80 on 300 baud dial up.
GeeGusKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
http://www.justgottascoot.com/blur2010.htm

In case you didn't already know about that.

As for my info, the dealer I purchased my Sportcity now carries Genuine Scooters. I didn't look at one too closely last time I was there, but thought to myself that it looked like a nice alternative to the SC250 had it been available to compare at the time.
GREY.HOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

I really like the review on the Blur 220. It's to bad the speedometer is that far off, but I have come to expect it on all bikes. I always use an inexpensive GPS anymore. An actual 69 mph seems fine for top speed, since it would only be ridden on the freeway once in a while. I have 22 freeway miles on my Zuma 125, and the only thing that bothered me was that it was not legal. That could get very expensive in a hurry. My only real concerns about the Blur are reliability over long distances and high speeds, and parts availability, something that neither the Vino 125 or Zuma 125 have ever had any issues with. I sure wish Yamaha made a Zuma 250. The Vino and Zuma 125s are pretty much scooter sized scooters, the Majesty is in a whole nother league. I think a Zuma 250, about the same size and shape as the old Elite 250 would be great.

I also noticed that the Blur actually displaces 220cc, while the Kymco and SYM 200s are actually only 170cc. To me that's pushing it a bit.

I did locate a new SYM HD200, I haven't actually looked at it, but from all my research, SYM support is just a bit too sketchy right now. I also found a couple of '09 SportCity 250s, but they are not new. Never registered, but very dirty and quite a few scratches. Yet they want full MSRP, which is the same as the Blur. There are 2 Genuine dealers around here, I will call them tomorrow and see if they have any "new" Blur 220s in stock. One of them has their Genuine models listed on their website, and the Blur is not on there. Neither is the Rattler 110, which is probably sold out, but the Buddy 170 and 4 stroke Stella are listed, so it seems up to date. Even the Buddy 170 is the same size, and probably has the same top speed as the Kymco and SYM 200 models, just has smaller wheels, which has never been a problem for me. My 220+ pounds do just fine on the Vino and Zuma.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes it's still listed on Genuine's site, but I believe as an '09 model. I'm still looking for something that is freeway legal and freeway capable to a point. I don't plan on doing much freeway riding, and don't want a maxi. MSRP on the Blur is $3999, and if it still is, I can actually get one for that. I looked at the BV350, it's a little big, and costs $5499, but you cannot actually buy one for anywhere near that. Oddball brand scooters bother me a little, as far as reliability and parts availability. I grew up with, and got used to Japanese reliability. But in this case, the Japanese don't make what I want, so it will have to be Taiwanese or European. Aprilia is out, there are no new ones available locally. Things at SYM are just too uncertain right now. The Blur 220 was the only thing Genuine had that probably fit my needs (I have seriously thought about the Buddy 170) I don't really know about Genuine parts availability, I use vintage Vespa parts from Scooterworks on my Stella. The only thing left is Kymco and Piaggio. Both high quality, but you can't just go to bikebandit.com and get parts.

Genuine has great parts support, better than Piaggio. If you like Scooterworks, well theyre darn near the same company!

But the top of the food chain support and parts-wise is KYMCO and their 300GTI is a sweetheart of a scooter, but it lists within a couple hundred of the BV-350 and the KYMCO doesn't pencil out as well as the BV. (The BV-350 lists for 5699 as of Jan 1, formerly 5499.). KYMCO USA "gets it" and simply tries harder and it shows.

Unfortunately the european scooters typically carry a bit better resale value than the Taiwanese ones do. Dont ask me why.

You should be able to get a great deal on a Blur 220, its the most expensive Genuine scooter available and a very slow seller. My guess is it's life cycle is coming to an end sooner than later...perhaps when current inventory and pipeline is depleted.

Freight is a reality, like it or not. Just like taxes and regis. If a dealer is forced to waive freight to sell, say a slow moving product well the buyer wins and the dealer loses.

Nothing moves for free in this world, it all takes fuel and resources to move product to market. Dont begrudge a dealer reimbursement for these extra costs....there isnt a lot of profit in these things, sometimes none.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:51 AM   #11
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
Genuine has great parts support, better than Piaggio. If you like Scooterworks, well theyre darn near the same company!

But the top of the food chain support and parts-wise is KYMCO and their 300GTI is a sweetheart of a scooter, but it lists within a couple hundred of the BV-350 and the KYMCO doesn't pencil out as well as the BV. (The BV-350 lists for 5699 as of Jan 1, formerly 5499.). KYMCO USA "gets it" and simply tries harder and it shows.

Unfortunately the european scooters typically carry a bit better resale value than the Taiwanese ones do. Dont ask me why.

You should be able to get a great deal on a Blur 220, its the most expensive Genuine scooter available and a very slow seller. My guess is it's life cycle is coming to an end sooner than later...perhaps when current inventory and pipeline is depleted.

Freight is a reality, like it or not. Just like taxes and regis. If a dealer is forced to waive freight to sell, say a slow moving product well the buyer wins and the dealer loses.

Nothing moves for free in this world, it all takes fuel and resources to move product to market. Dont begrudge a dealer reimbursement for these extra costs....there isnt a lot of profit in these things, sometimes none.
The 300GTI may list for nearly the same as the BV350 but they are being sold well below MSRP so the real world price is probably far less.

As for freight, prep and other charges, they are additional dealer profit, pure and simple. The only exception is a small doc or title fee. At least that was the case when I sold Yamahas and Kawaski's years about 6 ears ago.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #12
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

You are completely correct about freight and setup, as well as ridiculous doc fees (around $350 at most dealers in my area) being total profit. They are a combination of the dealers overhead, and partially compensated for in profit the dealer makes by selling at MSRP. I have known this for over 10 years when I became friends with the sales manager at a local Kawasaki dealer. He is no longer there, but we still go riding off road together. He explained the whole thing to me, and showed me the numbers to back it up. In addition to those fees, dealers have a quota to meet on how many extended warranties and service contracts they have to sell, or they start losing dealer incentives. Most of the time the customer does not know about all of the dealers incentives, because they vary from dealer to dealer. Most people would have a heart attack if they realized just how much profit a dealer makes. For decades there has been plenty of information out there about buying new cars, and a potential new car buyer sometimes knows more than the salesperson. That has been sadly lacking in the "powersports" industry, which has become a major windfall for dealers. But now, that information has finally begun to find it's way out to the buying public. When enough people find out the truth, hopefully things will change.

Here is a good start http://www.motorcyclesalessecrets.com/ First information of it's kind I have seen so far. Hoping for lots more.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #13
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,309
This past summer Sloans in Murfreesboro Tn was selling 2012 Kymco Gt 300s for $4383. The Gt 200s were $3800.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #14
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Powersports professionals

Quote:
You are completely correct about freight and setup, as well as ridiculous doc fees (around $350 at most dealers in my area) being total profit. They are a combination of the dealers overhead, and partially compensated for in profit the dealer makes by selling at MSRP. I have known this for over 10 years when I became friends with the sales manager at a local Kawasaki dealer. He is no longer there, but we still go riding off road together. He explained the whole thing to me, and showed me the numbers to back it up. In addition to those fees, dealers have a quota to meet on how many extended warranties and service contracts they have to sell, or they start losing dealer incentives. Most of the time the customer does not know about all of the dealers incentives, because they vary from dealer to dealer. Most people would have a heart attack if they realized just how much profit a dealer makes. For decades there has been plenty of information out there about buying new cars, and a potential new car buyer sometimes knows more than the salesperson. That has been sadly lacking in the "powersports" industry, which has become a major windfall for dealers. But now, that information has finally begun to find it's way out to the buying public. When enough people find out the truth, hopefully things will change.

Here is a good start http://www.motorcyclesalessecrets.com/ First information of it's kind I have seen so far. Hoping for lots more.
It says that book is written by Powersports Professionals....of which I too have been.

Heres what I know, and I guess youll have to decide who to believe but Im pretty sure you'll take the choice thinking dealers were "stealers" and try to deny them a decent and fair profit to ensure theyll be around when you need them. (Thats OK, certain customer types don't see it as a relationship, and those are the kind of clients many dealers would prefer shop elsewhere)

I can tell you its no "windfall" for the dealers to have to charge freight, which they pay to get the bikes to their shops, and a title clerk to do/submit the docs properly (at least in California, add in "tire fees" for tires which will eventually get disposed of, Ca BAR fees, and so on)

For anyone thinking they can open a PTW shop and avoid having these fees imposed on them, above and beyond rent, salaries, advertising, phones, power, insurance), without having to charge the retail buyer for them is doomed to fail in business.

Keep that in mind you think a dealer is making a windfall by asking you to re-pay all or part of these fees he has to pay in order to bring you a bike and then discount the profit out of it too.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #15
MotoRandy123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I looked at the Blur but heard some problems with overheating. Not sure if it was
isolated or widespread. I ended up with a Kymco Yager I had to grab it fast as
they are not selling them this year.

Water cooled, fuel injected, lots of storage, flat floor, 300 pounds but only 170cc.
$3500 OTD! You can take it on the highway but it's on the upper end of it's
performance envelope.

The new 200i's and 300i's are a bit more weight and money!

I'm not sure why it was discontinued....
MotoRandy123 is offline   Reply With Quote