Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #16
Haroon OP
RIDE for PASSION

Oddometer: 540
Thanks Nicolas & John for the nice pointers. I will work on them.

Based on the paved roads/traffic conditions in Colombia for a normal rider (not aggressive) and given some photo-ops & lunch breaks, is a 300km day too much of a stretch for most PAVED ROAD riding conditions in Colombia?

Exploring the world on 2-wheels...little at a time
RIDE for PASSION

www.rideforpassion.com

Haroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #17
rjzinc
The World is My Home

Oddometer: 133
Salento

I did 4 trips to Colombia, one time renting a KLR from Mike in Cali. I went to Salento, and from there a trip to a National park where they have these very tall palm trees, (the Colombian national tree). Check Salento out on Google.

RJZINC
rjzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #18
pasomonte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I have been riding in Colombia for a month . I would say the road from Murillo over to Nevados de Ruiz is excellent. I didn't encounter any deep mud in February. You can camp out at the Termas de Ruiz. Its a hot spring which is closed but the nice caretakers will let you in. Bring them something to read. I also really enjoyed the ride from San Gil to El Cocuy. I have jeeped around La Guajira with an Wayuu guide but I would stay out (oK, maybe Cabo la Vela) without a guide. I'll be back on the trail in Colombia by Easter.
pasomonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:23 AM   #19
Haroon OP
RIDE for PASSION

Thanks rjzinc & pasomonte.

Although I learnt Colombia has some wonderful off pavement routes, which I would love to do solo at some time, whereas on this ride I am riding 2-up with pillion fully loaded and hence I want to avoid dirt riding especially in the rainy season (May), when its not lose gravel, but plain slippery slush that slows down the pace considerably on a 7 day ride.

Even on paved roads, I wanted to know if a 300km ride day is a far stretch as per local colombian riding conditions??

RIDE for PASSION

www.rideforpassion.com

Old 03-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #20
pasomonte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Thumb 7 days in Colombia 2 up

Ok Haroon. I read your lovely website and I have some better suggestions for two up on a big bike. By the way I have been riding two up on a 650 with no problems but I travel really light.
1. Villa de Leyva- is a really attractive colonial town about 4 hours east of Bogota. There are two ways to get there. The northern route crosses mountains with some great twisties. There are hot springs, an observatory and lots of good restaurants and shopping.
2. Salento- is everyones favorite. The roads are easy, there are great hiking trails, horseback adventures and great scenery. It is possible to ride into Salento directly from Ibague. I will test this out before you arrive. I think it will be a well-packed dirt road through semi-remote mountains. I suggest you stay at La Serrana or Salento Real(really nice)
3.San Gil- A fast growing mountain town about 5 hours east of Bogota. It has all tourist infrastructure, adventure sports, a great swimming hole, micro brew beer and lots of side roads to explore quaint villages such as Charala, Barichara. Stay at Hotel Abril (cheap, clean perfect bike parking and location).

Distances: Like anyplace there are great advantages to departing very early in the morning. Colombians are a bit late to rise and you can get a great deal further each day by leaving early. I think 350 km makes a nice day if you depart early and quit early. If you leave at 9 AM and ride till 5PM youll be lucky to get 275km. I've been adding 50% to the time Google maps issues for a given route. Try to leave and reenter Bogota on Sunday morning or before 7AM.
Example Bogota- Armenia
depart 5:30 AM 6 hrs. depart 8AM 9hrs.
Heres an Idea of a route. It has about 35 hrs of riding and should allow a day off the bike. Have fun!
http://goo.gl/maps/vMbnd
pasomonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #21
Haroon OP
RIDE for PASSION

Thanks & glad you liked our website pasomonte.

Many thanks for the route suggestion. My plan is almost on the same lines. Just that Mike from Motolombia had earlier mentioned the road from puerto berrio to velez passing some forest area could be really trecherous during May with the rains and advised me against it. Probably the only alternative is to head to Bucaramanga and then head to San Gil, though the distance is really stretching in our week long ride. I will have to work something out. Thanks for the other way point suggestions also.

RIDE for PASSION

www.rideforpassion.com

Old 11-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #22
Haroon OP
RIDE for PASSION

Giving back to the forum

It was wonderful to get a lot of inputs on this query thread and finally we accomplished an almost 'all-pavement' ride in Colombia.

I thank each & every one of you for your valuable inputs and I certainly owe you the ride report of the wonderful ride that I & wife did in Colombia. So here below is the link:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931006

RIDE for PASSION

www.rideforpassion.com