Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #16
travlin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I may have to try that. Lose several lbs. and still relatively quiet.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #17
CousinDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin View Post
I may have to try that. Lose several lbs. and still relatively quiet.
This is the first time I have removed my silencer can... I am shocked how heavy it is. It's a dust collector now!
CousinDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #18
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinDave View Post

It's my understanding that this mod (down tube tip and leaving CAT in place) won't change the performance and running, thus no dorking with anything else required... anybody know better?
Removing the silencer does little to the flow of exhaust gases and so, there is no special tuning, addition of fuel or other fuel injection gizmos required.

Having said that, you should be following roger04rt's threads/posts regarding the wide band oxygen sensor setup he has developed. From what I have read, the improvements are;

1- More power especially in the mid range where most of us operate our boxers.
2- Cooler EGTs.
3- Improved fuel mileage.
4- Better driveability.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #19
CousinDave
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post

1- More power especially in the mid range where most of us operate our boxers.
2- Cooler EGTs.
3- Improved fuel mileage.
4- Better driveability.
Thanks Def for the directional! I'll jump that way and read up!

And it's good to confirm that removing only the silencer is not causing a waterfall effect of other tuning problems.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #20
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,610
I love the look and video from David Ekstrom

Does anyone know the specs on that pipe from Autozone?

I'll go buy one right now!

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #21
rmax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
When I bought my r1100gs last year it had a mid pipe that replaced the large muffler / cat under the bike; attached to the mid pipe was a stanley tractor muffler. It was very loud. I've never heard a BMW bark like that.

I would be willing to sell the mid pipe and tractor muffler if anyone is interested and would like to try it.
rmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #22
Oilhed
MarkF

Looks like I need a 1-3/4" I.D. tip but everything is 2"!

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #23
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Oddometer: 754
On the 1150 GS

One thing to take into consideration when taking the muffler off the exhaust system and running the cat only with a turn down aftermarket car pipe from your local parts store. If you ride any where that law enforcement inspects for Spark Arrestors? More than likely you are gonna fail the inspection.

You can buy Spark Arrestors at any good dirt bike parts distributor for about 75 bucks. Making it work is up to your skill level. The part has to have a manufactured stamped on it that shows it meets the criteria for a spark arrestor. As an example "USFS Approved" that way mister ranger will be satisfied most of the time. Actually what the MFG writes on the arrestor is super huge line of text.
ooweel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #24
CousinDave
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilhed View Post
Looks like I need a 1-3/4" I.D. tip but everything is 2"!
Oilhead, you can find in my video description the steps and specs of what I used. I've pasted it below for your convenience.

PROCEDURE:

* Remove the stock can (mine was a slip-on held by a big clamp).

* From Autozone I picked up a 1-7/8" OD to 2-1/4" ID adapter pipe and a 2" I.D. chrome Turndown exhaust tip. Don't get the clamp on down pipe. See further steps to learn why.

* Adapter slips on CAT and held with original slip-on clamp (future project... see footnote**).

* Discard the two fastening screws that come with the down pipe tip. Slip it on to the adapter and hold with JB-WELD (or weld it for reallz if you have a welder).

*Enjoy your new great sounding 1150GS!

** To use the original BMW slip-on clamp (that has the chrome shield on it to hide the CAT), I need to cut a slot on the 1-7/8" side of the adapter pipe so it has room to "clamp". Also, I need a small bit of flashing to shim the inside of the clamp as it is a small amount to big to clamp down on the adapter. OR I just need to source a new clamp that looks nice for this setup.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #25
CousinDave
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooweel View Post
One thing to take into consideration when taking the muffler off the exhaust system and running the cat only with a turn down aftermarket car pipe from your local parts store. If you ride any where that law enforcement inspects for Spark Arrestors? More than likely you are gonna fail the inspection.

You can buy Spark Arrestors at any good dirt bike parts distributor for about 75 bucks. Making it work is up to your skill level. The part has to have a manufactured stamped on it that shows it meets the criteria for a spark arrestor. As an example "USFS Approved" that way mister ranger will be satisfied most of the time. Actually what the MFG writes on the arrestor is super huge line of text.
Not sure of the actual law here in Texas, but there is a dominant number of Harley's on the roadways. A great number of them run straight pipes. It would seem they care more about making the most noise possible than the ride experience itself. Anyway, unless they are doing something really stupid (it does happen) the cops have not been known to pull over obvious noise makers looking for a spark-arrestor. With that in mind, the exhaust note/level of the GS with this mod is not that much more than factory, thus not drawing attention. And if you DO get pulled over and the cop does not know the GS very well, just point at the CAT and say "see, the silencer is this big box ingeniously manufactured by the Germans to fit snugly under the bike." OK, I know I'm being silly. Anyway, round here it ain't much a worry. And I'll of course keep my factory can just in case the guys at the inspection house give me crap about it I can swap it back on for inspection only... but they are big time custom bike builders and Harley enthusiasts, so I don't think they will.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #26
Oilhed
MarkF

Trying something else. Found a stubby MotoGP style "muffler" for 1-3/4 headers. Gonna put that on the cat.

P.S. I love the sound with the can off.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
Old 06-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #27
CousinDave
Adventurer

Quote:
Trying something else. Found a stubby MotoGP style "muffler" for 1-3/4 headers. Gonna put that on the cat.

P.S. I love the sound with the can off.
Picture please! Is it something you are having to order? Or is it an ebay used item?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #28
Oilhed
MarkF

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=190770118419

This dealer has lots new on eBay

Money back guarantee

new bike - BMW R1150GS
Old 06-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #29
CousinDave
Adventurer

Quote:

Money back guarantee
Cool Oilhead! Please update this thread with your install and let us know if it's a quick slip-on clamp and done. Also, if you can make a video of it installed that would be great!
Old 06-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #30
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,439
Quote:

Money back guarantee
$40.00?.....a bit pricey. A trip to the muffler shop, a piece of scrap tube, a clamp and maybe a cut by the shop pipefitter, give him a $10.00 tip and you're on you way.

I would select SS unless you going to have it plated.
def is offline   Reply With Quote