ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
MrBob OP
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
Tell me about Santa Fe.

Looks like I'll be spending time in Santa Fe for a while. I've been working some long hours and haven't had much time to look around but I'm hoping local inmates could share favorite places to get outdoors and other stuff like good Mexican food.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
KawaYamaSaki Ho
Reality burns!

Oddometer: 257
Not Santa Fe but hot springs abound in the Jemez and the one in Las Vegas isn't bad.
KawaYamaSaki Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,939
I hear there's a great place for RIBS, but it's only open once a year.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post
I hear there's a great place for RIBS, but it's only open once a year.

I've heard of that place. I hear the the patrons are crazy but it's worth it for the food.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,032
Ribs at Casa de Ricks are a delicacy!

They also have track for you to ride on the premises.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
hook0924
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Cool2 Dirt or Street?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Looks like I'll be spending time in Santa Fe for a while. I've been working some long hours and haven't had much time to look around but I'm hoping local inmates could share favorite places to get outdoors and other stuff like good Mexican food.
Dirt or Street riding? Best Mexican is Guadalajara Grill in Taos after a fast ride up from Fanta Se'
Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 7,044
I miss living in Santa Fe. The Shed, Harry's Roadhouse during non-tourist season. Bobcat Bite for green chile burgers. Rancho de Chimayo in Chimayo. Riding in Alcalde.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Growing up there I didn't learn the first thing about Mexican food. There weren't really many Mexicans there in the 70s and 80s. Now, New Mexican food on the other hand...
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
I miss living in Santa Fe. The Shed, Harry's Roadhouse during non-tourist season. Bobcat Bite for green chile burgers. Rancho de Chimayo in Chimayo. Riding in Alcalde.
I used to love the shed, but after the remodel it just seemed like the food went downhill.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
CaptRick
On dry land 4 now.....

Oddometer: 4,683
I have been in SF for 6 years this March. Great place to call home! If you want to dirt ride, Buckman or Caja Del Rio are fun places. For street up to the Ski Basin or the High Road to taos, also Valle Caldera and the Jemez.
For food its hard to find a bad place to eat. I am a Sushi fanatic so its Izmi for me.
Yes there is a rib place that is so good it only opens for one weekend a year, and its coming up soon.......

Growing older every day but never growing up.

NMOHVA, COHVCO, AMA
CaptRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
GrizGirl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,339
Here's a link to the Santa Fe Reporter's Best of 2012 Restaurants - I agree with much of what they print.

http://www.sfreporter.com/santafe/ar...od-dining.html

There are many restaurants in Santa Fe - I find the New Mexican restaurants get a little tight with their food and sauce during the busy weeks in town (such as during Indian Market) - the tourists don't know the difference I suppose. Always used to annoy me but we learned to stay away from places like The Shed and Tomasita's during those weeks.

If you crave a pizza Marble Brewery can be good and Upper Crust is fantastic - be sure to try green chile on your pizza - YUM! Oh, and just know that the guys at Upper Crust are sometimes a little spacey, probably a bit high, so they sometimes forget to get an order out. Used to happen about every 4th time from them but the make up pizza was awesome!

The Chocolate Maven makes fantastic eggs benedict and their coconut cream pie is wonderful. The Plaza Cafe, now on the south side (unless they finally have their Plaza location remodel complete) is good as well.

Into Tapas? El Farol on Canyon Road is fun and they have good food. Best margaritas? Maria's but be prepared, they are strong.

Do you know where you will be living?

For hiking and mountain biking there are so many options - the Windsor Trail up by the Ski Area is awesome - you can snow shoe up there in the winter, hike and bicycle in the summer. Lots of dirt to be ridden on a motorcycle - go to Tuesday Brews Night to meet the local ADV crowd (some of the BEST people you will ever meet) at the Santa Fe Brewery on the south end of town. Hoist an IPA for me if you do go, please.

Santa Fe has a lot to offer - it can be hard to feel like you fit into a community but give it time. Get used to eating a lot of green chile!
GrizGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
GrizGirl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
I used to love the shed, but after the remodel it just seemed like the food went downhill.
When did the Shed remodel? I know La Casa Sena next door to it went through one, but I didn't think the Shed did. I've been there fairly recently and their red chile is still the best in town.
GrizGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizGirl View Post
When did the Shed remodel? I know La Casa Sena next door to it went through one, but I didn't think the Shed did. I've been there fairly recently and their red chile is still the best in town.
It was probably a few years ago that we noticed it. Its bigger with whitewashed wood. It was always my favorite place to eat. I loved the posole. Last time I went I was disappointed.

Speaking of New Mexico. I'm cooking some green chili right now.

Yummie and HOT!.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
ZiaThunder
Go big or go home

Oddometer: 554
I've been in the land of entrapment for almost 20 years now. There really is few other places that can match it.

For food, depends on what you are into. I'm a HUGE fan of the green chile brisket at the Ranch House. The link to the Reporter's Best of is a great place to start. Most of their top three I agree with, but I've never thought that the food at Harry's or Maria's was that good. Their service sure isn't great.

As for outdoor things, if you can think of it, you can pretty much find it around here.

If you frequently any of the local hang outs on a regular basis you'll get to know the bartenders well and they'll treat you well. I love that when I walk into the Dragon room, my drink is pretty much waiting for me.
ZiaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
DirtFarmer
Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer: 2,630
Spent Christmas in Santa Fe in 2010. We really enjoyed the people and the food. New Mexico as a whole has been some great experiences.