ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #31
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicXRer View Post

I picked it up when I was at El Dulce Bakery. What a liberal POS paper.
Yup, nuff said and don't even get me started on our mayor. Back to regular programming: food, booze and riding around Northern NM.
Slideways#96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #32
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideways#96 View Post
Hickox, West of St. Francis Drive.
Are you sure? The location on Hickox (the original Tomacitas, caddy corner from Aranda's Plumbing) is now the Tune Up Cafe, no? . I'd love to find Dave's Not Here. Lots of good memories.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #33
El Kabong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
food

I've been down to Santa Fe 3 times in the past month doing some repairs. Found a really good Mexican restaurant on Cerillo ave (sp). Not sure of the name but it was next to the brown building with the flat roof.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #34
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,010
Isn't the area with the skylight and all newly remodeled or in the last few years. I haven't been going there for 35 years, but think the first time I went there was 1987 or 88. I don't live down there so have probably only been there 10 or 15 times over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
I've only been going there for 35 years--what white washed wood?

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #35
Downhill Dave
Busco aventura

Oddometer: 635
Best Mexican somewhere round here

Prolly Los Potrillos for an entire Mexican palate with even authentic nopalitos y
cabrita as well as marisco pero cuando in the mood solamente pa' marisco then many go
to La Playa o Costa Azul (supposedly run by hermanos ).

(P.S. No hay battered potrillos on menu)
Downhill Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #36
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,158
Shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
Isn't the area with the skylight and all newly remodeled or in the last few years. I haven't been going there for 35 years, but think the first time I went there was 1987 or 88. I don't live down there so have probably only been there 10 or 15 times over the years.
Hey I was thinking like Mark Twain white washed picket fences Guess I need to look up rather than sticking my face in my plate

Ever tried their Gazpacho in the early summer?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #37
MrBob OP
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizGirl View Post

http://www.sfreporter.com/santafe/ar...od-dining.html

Do you know where you will be living?
I'm the official carpenter for the hostel on Cerrillos so that's where I've lived since arriving in town last week. I don't know enough about the city to think about where I'd settle.
I'm saving everyone's recommendations and saying thanks for them.
If I have spare time outdoor play comes first and then eating out and museums and such.
So far I've eaten out once in S.F. and it was here: http://www.santafebakingcompanycafe.com/
I enjoyed the food and atmosphere there and invited two strangers to join me at my table and made two new friends.
When I get the Concours sold I'll be shopping for a 350cc something I can use to explore the trails in the area.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #38
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,912
One of my very favorite things is the Canyon Road art walk around Christmas. The farolitas are beautiful.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #39
TaterHarry
Redneck Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,377
The Reporter is a liberal rag?? You guys should pick up a copy of the Alibi sometime; it makes the Reporter look like a copy of National Review.

As to local food - I'm a big fan of La Choza. It's the Shed's sister restaurant, literally - the brother owns the Shed and the sister owns La Choza. It's usually easier to park and get a table at La Choza, though the service can be a little spotty. But the menu is equally tasty.

I didn't read the thread very carefully so this may be a +1, but if you're staying at the Hostel then you should head south a couple of blocks and try the tacos at El Parasol. They are some of the greasiest, most delicious tacos in all of Northern New Mexico.

If you like inconsistency in your beer and food, there's always 2nd St. Brewery. It's a scene, popular with the locals, but it's hit-or-miss on quality.

JMO, YMMV, etc.

And yes, Dave's really not here, he is gone Tune-Up has some pretty good food but last time I was there, I couldn't handle the hipster clientele. I felt out of place because I didn't have skinny jeans and a fixed gear bicycle
TaterHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #40
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterHarry View Post
The Reporter is a liberal rag?? You guys should pick up a copy of the Alibi sometime; it makes the Reporter look like a copy of National Review.

As to local food - I'm a big fan of La Choza. It's the Shed's sister restaurant, literally - the brother owns the Shed and the sister owns La Choza. It's usually easier to park and get a table at La Choza, though the service can be a little spotty. But the menu is equally tasty.

I didn't read the thread very carefully so this may be a +1, but if you're staying at the Hostel then you should head south a couple of blocks and try the tacos at El Parasol. They are some of the greasiest, most delicious tacos in all of Northern New Mexico.

If you like inconsistency in your beer and food, there's always 2nd St. Brewery. It's a scene, popular with the locals, but it's hit-or-miss on quality.

JMO, YMMV, etc.

And yes, Dave's really not here, he is gone Tune-Up has some pretty good food but last time I was there, I couldn't handle the hipster clientele. I felt out of place because I didn't have skinny jeans and a fixed gear bicycle
You're spot on with Tune up. I keep referring to it as Dave's....Hipster's with skinny jeans, didn't notice. Perhaps too much into company I was with and chowing down on a great breakfast burrito. Lost Potrillos is good "Mexican food". I just prefer the New Mexican cuisine myself. Each his own. Love El Parasol, though the original in Espanola, El Paragua has some of the tastiest green chile around, not as good as grandmas but damn close.

Did I mention Margarita's? Maria's has a Margarita menu of it's own featuring all the great tequilla's. Kinda pricey but you'll leave happy.

It's all good, like all recommendations posted so far and you can't really go wrong with any of them.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #41
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,955
Hijack

Mi casita for the next couple of days

Old 02-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #42
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,955
Saigon Cafe is also good hole in the wall place to eat too.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #43
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,158
Trip

Quote:
Mi casita for the next couple of days
Bet the rooms on either side really appreciate it when you fire up that XRR in that enclosure early in the AM
Old 02-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #44
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Quote:
Saigon Cafe is also good hole in the wall place to eat too.
Hijack - I thought you were doing that ride out of T or C this weekend?

Saigon Cafe rocks!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #45
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,792
Horseman's Haven for basic New Mexican food. Good very basic food done well. Way out South on Cerrillos, on the East side of the road next to a gas station. Almost to I25.

Oops, gotta add The Pantry on Cerrillos by 5th street also. Good for big food, breakfast and lunch.

And Pyramid if you want some Middle Eastern.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Tellydoug screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 07:32 AM
Tellydoug is offline   Reply With Quote