ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,208
Toll Lanes in LA

So Im sure some of you have noticed that the 110 from Downtown to LBC is a toll road now, as well as the 10 from downtown to East LA and you are REQUIRED to have a transponder in order to use it on a bike solo. It's free if you're carpooling in a car but again you have to have the transponder. If you pay the tolls when solo its something like $16 from end to end.
People are calling them "Lexus Lanes"
Have you guys seen the stupid transponders? They aren't small - if you have a naked bike, where the hell would you put it? I havent have to deal with it yet on a bike, but I would be on a GS..... a bit easier to mount stuff to a GS than lets see, my Speed Triple.
Also, it's not free. The transponder is $40 ($32 is you are a AAA member and you can get them there) then you have to sign up for an account and if you dont use it at least twice a month, they charge you a site maintenance fee.
You have to enter your car make and model and good luck if you have a motorcycle - they dont list any on the site from their pull down menus. I got around it for the GS because they had BMW (other)

Now they are saying the 5 from Anaheim to Downtown is going to be a toll road too! AND they are guaranteeing 45 mph minimums - how stupid do they think we are?
I hate this shit. This town was stupid before, this just confirms to me that there is no way to effectively run this city without raping its citizens on a daily basis. I cant tell you how many parking tickets Ive gotten with time left on the meter.
I think it's time to go....

oh and here is the stupid site

https://www.metroexpresslanes.net
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is

eatpasta screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 09:35 AM
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,704
They may be confusing us motorcyclists'.

Am I reading this wrong? On the 110 & 10, you have to have a transponder that is set a 3+, then there is no charge(but you must buy the transponder).

But if i'm on the 91 or 241, these are different toll roads from the 110/10???? So I will be charged and I must use a different transponder??

WTF
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
They may be confusing us motorcyclists'.

Am I reading this wrong? On the 110 & 10, you have to have a transponder that is set a 3+, then there is no charge(but you must buy the transponder).

But if i'm on the 91 or 241, these are different toll roads from the 110/10???? So I will be charged and I must use a different transponder??

WTF
here is the one I have. is it the same?

there is a switch on it as you can see and you set it to what it's being used for. If yer on a bike you just set it to 1 and roll. Again where you PUT it is another story.....but when you're car pooling just set it to 2 or 3+ and roll.
Quote:
Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236
$3 monthly account maintenance fee......assholes.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,176
I use the Fastrack on the 91 at least 3 days a week to commute by car from Corona to my office in Orange. Yes, it does cost me anywhere from $10 to $15 a day round trip (91 express lanes are charged by traffic volume and toll varies by time of day). Does it suck to pay? Yes, but that 10 bucks saves me at least 2 hours of sitting in traffic daily. My time is worth wayyyyy more than that!

When I used to ride the moto, I'd tuck the transponder in my tank bags top map pocket and it worked fine. I'd remove the tank bag when parking, so no issues with it being stolen.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
$3 monthly account maintenance fee......assholes.
supposedly if you use it 4 times a month, they waive the fee.....but yeah you have to PAY for their site which im sure you already pay for
Quote:
Old 02-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,235
Do they still have the little transponder that looks like a license plate frame? The OC housewives can't have something that ugly in their BMWs.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,864
I have a FasTrack transponder, if I'm going to use it on a bike, I put it in the tankbag map pocket.

Bikes get to use the "3+" lane and get half price on tolls.

Plus, if you have a new bike (dealer plate) and are riding it home from OC, the FasTrak lanes are usually very clean and free of traffic mid day, and you can "stretch the legs" of your new machine, I hear.
Also, there is a special program where if you have a dealer plate, they don't even bill you! Heck, they won't mail you a violation either!!!!.

Edit: There is a monthly minimum use requirement on the transponder (or a nominal charge applies), but if it's something you only use once in a blue moon, why bother?
Old 02-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

so what happens when you're cruising along at 80 mph - with the flow of traffic - and all of a sudden they have digital proof that you're speeding?
Quote:
Old 02-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
At those prices a person could buy a new bike, or car, every few months. Never get a transponder. Never plate it, like Steve Jobs. The savings in never paying for tolls would more than offset the bike/car payments.

Is there a way for people to lease motorcycles? Turn it in every few months and get another. Never plate any of them. Never get a transponder. Never pay a toll.

Always ride the newest, coolest bike. Get your work to pay your "tolls" and/or lease payment and use that money to actually get paid to always ride a new bike.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #11
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
$$$$$$ Roads SUCK

HATE the toll roads.

Heirhead
Worlds worst mechanic

heirhead screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 11:27 PM
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #12
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
WTF, weird timing.

Motorcycles no longer need FasTrak transponders to use ExpressLanes
http://thesource.metro.net/2013/02/2...-expresslanes/

Why do motorcycles no longer need transponders? The toll system on the ExpressLanes is automated. A software update to the system now allows cameras to recognize standard motorcycle license plates thus ensuring they won't receive a notice for not having a transponder.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
WTF, weird timing.

Motorcycles no longer need FasTrak transponders to use ExpressLanes
http://thesource.metro.net/2013/02/2...-expresslanes/

Why do motorcycles no longer need transponders? The toll system on the ExpressLanes is automated. A software update to the system now allows cameras to recognize standard motorcycle license plates thus ensuring they won't receive a notice for not having a transponder.
Yet another reason to never plate your vehicle.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
David13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
I have been using the transponder on the Bay area bridges, yes, including the Golden Gate Bridge, and the Fastrak lanes on the 91, and 73, and 241 down toward Orange county for years.
Yes, I have also used it on the 110 in both the motorcycle and the car.
And yes, you guys are now a day late and a dollar short as just yesterday from a number of sources, I received the email saying that their software will recognize a motorcycle license plate now and you can get your money back.
I won't as I still use it in the car, and on all the other toll roads and bridges in the state.
State law says, if you have the transponder from one system it must be operable on all systems in the state.
dc

Almost forgot. No, my car is not a Lexus.
David13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #15
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by David13 View Post
And yes, you guys are now a day late and a dollar short as just yesterday from a number of sources, I received the email saying that their software will recognize a motorcycle license plate now and you can get your money back.
Technically you're a day late, it was declared Thursday
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote