ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
duffs OP
It's been useful
 
duffs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Battersea (London) UK
Oddometer: 1,128
6k service

I had my 6k service done on my 2012 F8 Trophy a couple weeks ago (all routine, no other issues) by my local BMW dealership. Since then the throttle response feels slightly smoother (no complaints before, mine never was snatchy like others have reported) and also the fuel gauge now goes to 1 skinny bar above empty before the light goes on (previously the light came on at 2-3 bars).

Has anyone else recently had a service and noticed any of these changes? It seems there was a software update or something but they didn't mention anything when I collected it (I didn't ask but also not sure they would by default anyway). I noticed some 2013 owners have mentioned a software update to address the ASC not disabling consistently but of course the 2012s don't have this system...
__________________
Ride reports: Europe 2014 | Alps 2013 | Fryslân 2012
2012 F 800 GS Trophy 2014 R 1200 GS TE

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Bear Creek West
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Kingston / South Frontenac
Oddometer: 179
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
I had my 6k service done on my 2012 F8 Trophy a couple weeks ago (all routine, no other issues) by my local BMW dealership. Since then the throttle response feels slightly smoother (no complaints before, mine never was snatchy like others have reported) and also the fuel gauge now goes to 1 skinny bar above empty before the light goes on (previously the light came on at 2-3 bars).

Has anyone else recently had a service and noticed any of these changes? It seems there was a software update or something but they didn't mention anything when I collected it (I didn't ask but also not sure they would by default anyway). I noticed some 2013 owners have mentioned a software update to address the ASC not disabling consistently but of course the 2012s don't have this system...
I've got the same bike - will be needing the same service this spring - sounds like a worthwhile reason to cart it to the dealer...I was considering doing it myself. Hmmm...curious to hear if anyone in can confirm...
Bear Creek West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
GoFasterPB
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 41
I brought in my 2011 800GS a few weeks ago after my clutch cable ran out of adjustment. After mentioning the snatchy throttle, my bike received a software update. While not a night and day difference, I felt a significant improvement in throttle smoothness.
GoFasterPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer
 
itsatdm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Nor Ca.
Oddometer: 4,409
They did the same for my bike way back in 2009. I wonder if the installed mapware is set for Eurpean emssion standards? It is a least different if not more restrictive. A lot easier than trying to install mapware before knowing which country, which bike is going to end up.

It did make a minor improvement on the throttle response.
__________________
BMW Motorrad USA customer service: "We make superior motorcycles and continue to improve them."
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
duffs OP
It's been useful
 
duffs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Battersea (London) UK
Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
They did the same for my bike way back in 2009. I wonder if the installed mapware is set for Eurpean emssion standards? It is a least different if not more restrictive. A lot easier than trying to install mapware before knowing which country, which bike is going to end up.

It did make a minor improvement on the throttle response.
Interesting thought, however UK and EU are the same emission standard... which makes me think it's a firmware update which has been released since the 600mi/1,000km service last April, unless they prefer to wait until the 6k mi/10k km service before performing updates to ensure the engine is fully broken in... Will see over time if there is a difference in distance covered per tank of fuel. I used to get 10-11 litres of petrol in when the light came on but my fill-up since the service took 13 litres. Guess I now have 3 litres reserve instead of 5-6...

For such a rattly bag of bolts, the parallel twin is really quite a fantastic, flexible engine particularly with the performance/consumption ratio in mind.

Either way I find it somewhat amusing that they do a firmware update not unlike a mobile phone or tablet computer
__________________
Ride reports: Europe 2014 | Alps 2013 | Fryslân 2012
2012 F 800 GS Trophy 2014 R 1200 GS TE

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle

duffs screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 03:15 PM
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
duffs OP
It's been useful
 
duffs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Battersea (London) UK
Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFasterPB View Post
I brought in my 2011 800GS a few weeks ago after my clutch cable ran out of adjustment. After mentioning the snatchy throttle, my bike received a software update. While not a night and day difference, I felt a significant improvement in throttle smoothness.
I wonder if the 2012s had the throttle response modified from the previous years as I've not read any reports about people experiencing this from 2012 onwards... mine has always been linear and smooth, but perhaps it was because I was accustomed to the hair trigger throttle on my previous Honda Hornet...
__________________
Ride reports: Europe 2014 | Alps 2013 | Fryslân 2012
2012 F 800 GS Trophy 2014 R 1200 GS TE

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Lewiston,ID
Oddometer: 1,562
My dealer told me that when they hook a bike up to the computer the information is going to Germany. There the factory makes any updates. They claim that BMW makes updates all the time. It makes sense because it would be cheaper than sending out updates to every dealer.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:59 AM   #8
duffs OP
It's been useful
 
duffs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Battersea (London) UK
Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
My dealer told me that when they hook a bike up to the computer the information is going to Germany. There the factory makes any updates. They claim that BMW makes updates all the time. It makes sense because it would be cheaper than sending out updates to every dealer.
Sounds about right - a bit big brotherish too!
__________________
Ride reports: Europe 2014 | Alps 2013 | Fryslân 2012
2012 F 800 GS Trophy 2014 R 1200 GS TE

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014