User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
svs OP
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 23,616
V-Strom Heal Shifter?

I'm dealing with a pinched sciatic nerve that is making UP-SHIFTING a pain, especially From First through neutral into Second... I've been lifting my leg and am going to try "rolling" my foot to the left (A friend just told me about that--surprised I never heard of it or thought of it before--seems weird and in boots not sure how it will work).

The thought of a "Heal" shifter is compelling--- Does one exist??? (Or a fabrication idea, pictures, thoughts, successes)?

Ideally my nerve settles down and I get full function of my left foot back... Sucks adjusting riding and equipment to deal with injuries.. most people think I'm nuts and advise giving up riding... I can't entertain the thought at this point...

A heal shifter sounds muy better!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
svs OP
All Hands on Deck!

Found this for a Hyosung:

For a BMW:

Old 02-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
ERD
Custom Rider

Oddometer: 286
All the Harleys that comes with floorboard (all the touring models and most models that come stock with bags) have heel shifter. The shifter shaft is longer and accomodates a forward (toe) and rear (heel) shifter.
ERD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
greywolf
Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer: 956
A heel/toe shifter can be made easily enough. There aren't any commercially. First, I'd look for a steel replacement. Then I'd get a heel plate welded on. Do you have a 1000 or a 650? It makes a difference.

in order of ownership
1971 Honda CB350, 2 1973 Honda CB500s, one was stolen, 1974 Can-Am 175 TNT, 1978 Yamaha XS11, 1978 Honda CX500, 1975 BMW R90S, 1983 BMW R65LS, 2005 Suzuki DL650 totaled, 2007 Suzuki DL650A, 2012 Suzuki DL650A
greywolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
svs OP
All Hands on Deck!

I have the 1k.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
A custom fabrication would be simple enough. I would look to a custom cruiser shop (as they have experience working with a lot of bikes which use heel shifters) and have them weld it up.

If things change, just buy a new shift lever and swap it out.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
svs OP
All Hands on Deck!

I looked at the shifter and there is a nice flat surface to weld to. I have a fabricator that is good with welding aluminum.... I'll run over with the bike tomorrow and pay him a visit.

Would be nice to start with an aluminum shift lever, cut it down and fab it in... If this comes together I'll post pics as it goes.