Old 04-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #106
craydds OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootern29 View Post
I am concerned with your "metal work".
Do you doubt my abilities?
Or, are you afraid of a massive explosion when I put a torch to it?
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #107
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Naw Ray, I was more concerned if it was a steel tank rather than aluminum. It should have an aluminum tank, that's all. It just didn't come out right in text after I reread it.
Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #108
craydds OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootern29 View Post
Naw Ray, I was more concerned if it was a steel tank rather than aluminum. It should have an aluminum tank, that's all. It just didn't come out right in text after I reread it.
Yes, it is aluminum. Any tips on popping out some dents? One area around the gas cap is bashed in pretty badly, had bondo all over. I have an idea to put a little water in the tank, put the gas cap on - sealed well, close the petcock, and apply heat with a heat gun (no torch) to a dent, dent side down. Get it hot enough to boil the water and generate some steam pressure and pop out the dent. What could possibly go wrong?
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 04-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #109
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by craydds View Post
Put puller in freezer, heated flywheel. Tapped puller into flywheel (no threads), trying to get a friction fit:

Heated everything up to smoking HOT, flywheel won't budge. Puller slips out of flywheel:

Next attempt - going to O'Reilly's for a puller that will grab the slots in the flywheel or grab the outside edges. Cutting torch... anybody?
I have ground down cheap claw pullers to get them to fit in those slots,then had to take the puller apart and get things lined up then bolt the puller back together, and then heat the flywheel up,get good tension pulling on the hot flywheel then RAP it like you mean it on the end of the puller then smack the flywheel. Not pretty but I have most always gotten them off.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #110
ADK
____

Oddometer: 8,172
[QUOTE=Scootern29;21174510. It may be an old dirt bike but it is a one year bike........keep that in mind.[/QUOTE]

Isn't it pretty much a 75 mx 400 with air forks and yellow paint?
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #111
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Yes............but no.
Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #112
craydds OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
Isn't it pretty much a 75 mx 400 with air forks and yellow paint?
Several good updates on the '76 YZ400 over the '75 MX. I sent Scootern29 a few links to some old articles on the '76 YZ - check 'em out, post #77 - posted them on Scooter's thread. I think it is going to be a FUN bike to RIDE !!!
ABC #12947
'75 R90S

craydds screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 09:44 PM Reason: post
Old 04-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #113
craydds OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I have ground down cheap claw pullers to get them to fit in those slots,then had to take the puller apart and get things lined up then bolt the puller back together, and then heat the flywheel up,get good tension pulling on the hot flywheel then RAP it like you mean it on the end of the puller then smack the flywheel. Not pretty but I have most always gotten them off.
Great tips! Thank you, dragger. I took the motor over to O'Reilly's and tried several pullers, found one that might work if I can take my angle grinder to the forks to get it to grab the slots, as you have done. I will go buy that puller tomorrow, take the grinder to it and give it a go.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 04-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #114
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Yes, it is aluminum. Any tips on popping out some dents? One area around the gas cap is bashed in pretty badly, had bondo all over. I have an idea to put a little water in the tank, put the gas cap on - sealed well, close the petcock, and apply heat with a heat gun (no torch) to a dent, dent side down. Get it hot enough to boil the water and generate some steam pressure and pop out the dent. What could possibly go wrong?
Aluminum tanks will puff up or split a lot easier then one would think,I found out the hard way with a TT500 tank 1 day,its yard art now instead of a 300.00 tank. They are soft.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #115
craydds OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
Id be trying to get as much penetrating fluid in there as possible and put a rattle gun on it, if that doesn't work tighten the puller up then smack the head of the pusher bolt with a brass hammer.
I tried my puller one more time today, tried all the tricks in the book... NO LUCK. Next step - cutting torch.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 04-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #116
craydds OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Aluminum tanks will puff up or split a lot easier then one would think,I found out the hard way with a TT500 tank 1 day,its yard art now instead of a 300.00 tank. They are soft.
Do you think my crazy idea with the heat gun might work if I proceed cautiously?
p.s. I have never worked aluminum, only car sheet metal.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 04-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #117
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Great tips! Thank you, dragger. I took the motor over to O'Reilly's and tried several pullers, found one that might work if I can take my angle grinder to the forks to get it to grab the slots, as you have done. I will go buy that puller tomorrow, take the grinder to it and give it a go.
If there's room around the outside of the flywheel its way better usually to grab and pull there,it doesnt look like there's room on the YZ400 between case and flywheel.
I think if the puller gets ground too thin it would break,also when the flywheel comes loose from getting smacked it might become a hot flying object,Ive had em bounce off the wall behind me.
Could be dangerous.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #118
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Do you think my crazy idea with the heat gun might work if I proceed cautiously?
p.s. I have never worked aluminum, only car sheet metal.
Im no bodywork guy. I know there was an old guy around here who used to make these odd shaped spoon things to fit inside gas tanks and then push/pull dents out with those.
He had done it alot and Ive never tried it. Probably a bodywork guy would have some ideas.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #119
craydds OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If there's room around the outside of the flywheel ...
That is the problem - NO room around the outside. Might be easier to grab the slots, can grind down the forks to fit, may have sufficient strength? Wish I had the tools to make my own puller, have several good ideas.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 04-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #120
craydds OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Im no bodywork guy. I know there was an old guy around here who used to make these odd shaped spoon things to fit inside gas tanks and then push/pull dents out with those.
He had done it alot and Ive never tried it. Probably a bodywork guy would have some ideas.
I heard once that some guys would fill the tank with water, put it in the freezer, and the expansion would pop out all the dents. Sounds kinda crazy, but... who knows?
ABC #12947
'75 R90S