User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 04:55 AM   #181
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Another resurrected P.K., well done man!

What set of brakes did you end up going with?

Just one silly critique, is there a better/cleaner way to secure the brake cable to the frame, outside of that plastic tie hanging down?
Old 03-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #182
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
Well I think it's fkn awesome. It's retro in a modern sort of way.

Love the flipped stem and black on black tuffs.

Well done, Prince.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beak View Post
Great work! It turned out beautiful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
Another resurrected P.K., well done man! ...

Thank you...thank you.

All kidding aside, I am SO glad that you guys like it, and it was well-received. You've been with me since the beginning of this deal.

***I won't apologize for getting sentimental on y'all, yesterday evening. Hell, my Dad's only been gone for less than a year. So, I hope y'all can understand.

It's just, I've always been close to my Parents. So, everything I do "takes me back", so to speak.***

In regard to the P.K., thanks for all your help.

In my humble opinion, it's not bad for a (1-each) 30-year-old piece of aluminum and chromoly.

It's been fun. So, I sure hope we can keep this thread goin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
...What set of brakes did you end up going with?

Just one silly critique, is there a better/cleaner way to secure the brake cable to the frame, outside of that plastic tie hanging down?

The brakes (caliper and lever) are Dia Compe (MX-1000 and Tech 3, respectively). The cable is an Odyssey "Slic Kable".

Your critique is not silly. It's been bothering the shit outta' me, too. As I posted, yesterday evening, I just felt it was time to show the bike (despite the cable routing not exactly being "sorted").

In addition to the aesthetics, the aluminum sure is SOFT. If you sneeze too close to this polished frame, it scratches (C'mon oxidation!) So, that plastic tie is already doin' a number on it.

I have not yet decided between a set of 1/2" hook & loop (velcro) strips, or a set of SE pads.

What do y'all think?

This would be the pad set (if I decided to go that route)...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #183
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Here, maybe this'll help...

Do they go together?...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
Old 03-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #184
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
Here, maybe this'll help...

Do they go together?...

Absolutely!
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #185
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Absolutely!

Done.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #186
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,362
Dude- no "urban camo", please. Right colors, tacky background.

The bike looks great- I've been lurking, reminiscing of the early days of mountain biking, myself. Specialized Stumpjumpers, my early Cannondale, that sort of thing (anyone notice the Bullmoose bars on the bike in my avater? )

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #187
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post

The bike looks great- I've been lurking, reminiscing of the early days of mountain biking, myself. Specialized Stumpjumpers, my early Cannondale, that sort of thing (anyone notice the Bullmoose bars on the bike in my avater? )
Normally I would agree, I hate that "Metal Mulushia" look that some of it has, but in this case: 1. It matches the bike perfectly. 2. It fits the "theme" of the bike. Hey, the 80s were tacky.

But as he said, it's Princes bike/thread.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #188
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:

I'm glad you like the P.K.

I enjoyed your story of seeing Perry Kramer at your old bike shop. Once you figured out who he was, it musta' seemed pretty cool (even if you weren't a BMX guy).

I gotta' admit, I don't know much about bikes. The last time I rode bikes, on a regular basis, I was listenin' to bands like "Men at Work", and watching "The A-Team". So, I'm ashamed to admit that I don't know what Bullmoose bars are.

I gotta' tell ya', Mm; I have put a lotta' thought into this bike. I have stared, and stared, and stared at it...for hours on end.

Like you, the very thought of "urban camo" would, normally, make me want to vomit. However, after all those hours of staring at the bike, I came to the same conclusion as Otg...

Quote:
...but in this case: 1. It matches the bike perfectly...

Old 03-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #189
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,997

I like it
Old 03-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #190
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,362
Well, it's your bike man. If you like it, run with it.

And the "Bullmoose" bars were found on early mountain bikes-if you look close it's a one piece triangular bar/stem, angled pretty low, flat bars swept back slightly.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #191
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
...I like it

Awesome!

Thanks for takin' the time...

Quote:
...And the "Bullmoose" bars were found on early mountain bikes-if you look close it's a one piece triangular bar/stem, angled pretty low, flat bars swept back slightly.

I googled 'em, after I posted...

That's the nice thing about being a complete dumbass, nowadays; There's always Google.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #192
Beak
ZZZzzz

Oddometer: 2,442
The camo totally fits as it's period correct (not the current urban camo):

Old 03-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #193
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,303
The camo matches the bike perfectly, although I'm not a big fan of pads in general. I've never actually hit something, and thought "I wish that thad been padded". They are just extra weight, but many bikes came with them back in the day. They go with the bike well, though.

After discussing the Ripper with you guys, I had to get out on the Haro on Easter afternoon. It had been a while, and I realized just how much I enjoy riding BMX. At 41 years old and 200 lbs, I still feel like a kid jumping curbs, bunny hopping side walks, and general hooliganism. My attitude hasn't changed since I met my wife 19 years ago, when her father used to call me "The Boy" for just such shinanigans. My Haro has gotten a little bigger, though, and I finally got a picture of it while I had it out.

High Country Herb screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 08:23 AM
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #194
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
...It matches the bike perfectly...
Quote:
The camo totally fits as it's period correct...
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
The camo matches the bike perfectly...

Majority rules?

I'll tell y'all, as I posted, over the course of this restore, I have stared at the P.K. for hours. Like HOT DAMN!, I kinda' felt that something had to be done about the brake line.

I'm not a big fan of pads, either. However, in researching options for the brake line, I came-across the pads I posted above. My first thought was, "Damn, those wouldn't actually look too bad."

So, with a little added urging from the collective, they have been ordered.

We'll see if we can change Mm's mind.

*Y'all are right about this being an illness. I think I'm gonna' order an SE black and silver "Lightning Blitz" seat.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #195
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:

Is that Perry Kramer, in the door, in the red t-shirt?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: