Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #76
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
I think I had a mongoose with the aluminum "mag" wheels, the name escapes me.
Motomags.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #77
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
This thread has shaken the cobwebs off a couple of disjointed memories for me...

It's a bitch gettin' older; Don't ask me how I know.

Like you, this thread is (slowly) bringing back memories for me. Unfortunately, for me, the memories are coming-back in snapshots: snapshots that have been soaking in water, for the last 30 years. Needless to say, they're a little murky.

Last night, my cousin and her husband came to visit. I told them that I had recently undertaken the restoration. And, like you (while speaking with them), I suddenly remembered how off-the-chart the SE Racing prices were (back then), and was trying to make that point to them.

As I remember it, back then, the P.K costs about three times as much as some really great racing models (Diamondback, Redline, etc.) Also, on top of that (and I don't know if your experiences were the same), I never...EVER...saw another SE Racing bike (P.K., Quadangle, cruiser, etc.) in or around my neighborhood. It was just that rare.

In regard to your bikes, your brother might have owned one of the prototypes that, eventually, became the "P.K. Ripper" (after Perry Kramer added his personal touches). With the exception of the paint, yours definitely sounds like a P.K.

As I posted earlier in the thread, I don't remember seeing painted P.K.s, until a few years after I got mine. That doesn't mean they didn't exist. It just means I don't remember them.

Thanks for your post. It's great to hear all the stories.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #78
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Well, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (and ADHD) got the better of me, last night. Plus, patience is not one of my strong points.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a very close friend who owns a machine shop. As y'all know, he offered to square-away the inner radiuses of the dropouts for me.

Well, I couldn't wait any longer. So, last night, I broke-out the trusty rotary toolset that my Father gave to me. (Yikes!!! )

Here are the results...

Before

After

Before

After

When I was done, I slid the Helix BMX dropout savers into each dropout. To me, the fit was great: not too tight, not too loose.

I'm pretty satisfied with the results. Are they perfect? No. However, I'd be willing to bet that I'm within .0030" of the mill, for about 80% of the surface that was touched by my not-so-steady hand.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
Old 03-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #79
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,986
Just curious, but what did those motomags weigh in comparison to Skyways?

I bought a set of Skyways once, many years ago. I saved for months, and when I finally got to the closest bicycle shop, all they had in stock, were pink ones! And I had a pearl white bike....with pink Skyways! It was a 60 mile drive (each way) to the nearest bike shop back then, and no way was I waiting!

I've seen a set of 24" Skyways for sale locally, and would REALLY love to put them on my Mongoose.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #80
Beak
ZZZzzz

Oddometer: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
Just curious, but what did those motomags weigh in comparison to Skyways?

I bought a set of Skyways once, many years ago. I saved for months, and when I finally got to the closest bicycle shop, all they had in stock, were pink ones! And I had a pearl white bike....with pink Skyways! It was a 60 mile drive (each way) to the nearest bike shop back then, and no way was I waiting!

I've seen a set of 24" Skyways for sale locally, and would REALLY love to put them on my Mongoose.
The Motomags were heavier than the Tuffs (especially the Tuff II's). Also, the smaller spokes, the ones between the main spokes, broke easily if knocked against other bikes, rocks, etc. Back in the day I built up a bike for my younger brother using a broken pair of Moto's, and I cut out the remaining small spokes and also drilled out the main spokes to lighten the wheels up a bit.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #81
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

After all the talk about bomb-proofing the frame for shipping, and the insurance speak, I decided not to ship the frame.

Prior to that, I was already wrestling (big time) with the idea of handing Mr. UPS or FedEx guy my frame, and then leaving it in the hands of fate. So, because of the all the posts, and my 42 years of bad karma, I just opted to try to get something done locally.

I found an outfit, here in San Antone, that does a lot of polishing work on antiques (brass and copper pieces, chandeliers, etc.), and performance auto pieces (intakes, turbos, superchargers, etc.)

Anyhow, I hired them to get a lot of the larger nicks outta' the frame, and then do some polishing. I also worked on the frame, using the "Blue Magic and Charmin" method, that HOT DAMN! posted.

I wasn't real impressed with their work; They left a lotta' wheel marks on the surface. But, like not being able to find a lotta' the components I originally wanted, that (the quality of their work) is kind of a blessing. As I posted, I don't want the bike to be too perfect, as I want to be able to enjoy riding it.

Anyhow, here it goes...

Before

After

Before

After

Yes, my pics suck. And, to quite a few of you, it probably looks worse than when it started. But, I think it will come-together, nicely.

We'll see...

Old 03-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #82
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Goodie box #1 arrived, today...

I had the option of goin' with the skinwall tires, but chose the blackwalls, instead. I guess I can switch, if I ever burn these up.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #83
WaterWheel
Multi Talentless

Oddometer: 17,927
This thread brings back some memories.

I still have scars on my shins from my Hutch beartrap pedals.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #84
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterWheel View Post
This thread brings back some memories.

One of the places I ordered from had exact duplicates of those pedals...and in black, no less, to match the rest of my components.

However, just before I hit the "Add to Cart" button, I was magically transported to all the times those things put holes in my shins.

Needless to say, the V2.0 P.K. will have plastic pedals (in-between the tires, in the pic)...

Old 03-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #85
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterWheel View Post

+1...and i just put a pair on the wifeys cruiser for good measure.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #86
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Goodie box #2...

Old 03-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #87
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
I remember we were at our local outlaw bmx track one day (circa 1985)when some kid named Isaac was emulating the rider in the above pic. Upon landing he screamed and we noticed there were bones sticking out of his lower leg. Pretty soon an ambulance showed up and carted him away. The next day the cops shut down our riding area... permanently. It was a damn shame because it really was a killer place to ride with whoops, bowls, jumps, a downhill, etc. We had nowhere else to ride BMX in our medium sized town, at least not within riding distance of home, since we all rode there in just a t-shirt and shorts. I think most of us switched over to skate boards at that point.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #88
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,997
I have an ex-co-worker still friend who is constantly putting old magazine shots, a collection of his number plates, and bikes that he restores or flips on Facebook. He was a pro BMXer and then worked in the industry and has some cool history and shots.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #89
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,997
I have an ex-co-worker still friend who is constantly putting old magazine shots, a collection of his number plates, and bikes that he restores or flips on Facebook. He was a pro BMXer and then worked in the industry and has some cool history and shots.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #90
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,323
Just stumbled on this thread, and like others, have memories flooding back...

First, the P.K. Ripper: I always liked the dull look of aluminum, but I think your polished frame will look awesome with the freshly chromed forks. My Mom bought a pallet of parts at a police auction that had a original painted P.K Ripper frame and fork. It was black, and probably the lightest BMX I had felt up until that point. I don't remember much about it, because we sold it to fund the build of my brother's dream bike: a Mongoose with all red components to match the red Z-Rims. The mongoose wasn't all that light, but it was sweet. My brother is still looking for a pair of the Tange nickel plated in-line drop-out forks to re-create that bike.

BMX hang out spots: A few miles from my house in San Jose, CA we had a place called Calabasas. It was a riverbed that got destroyed every winter, so it was always different. There were some pros that practiced there, and we saw some amazing stuff! The first time I had the wind knocked out of me was there. Good times.

My current bike: A few years ago, I bought an all aluminum 24" BMX Group-1 Haro off ebay. It had been neglected, and rode really badly, so I got it for a song. I went through everything, then painted it flat black to be stealthy at night. I keep it in another town at my mother-in-law's house, and use it for re-living my rebellious youth when we stay there. It's super light, and very well made. It even has miniature motorcycle style chain adjusters on the rear drop-outs. I added some Sickle forks for strength (I weigh 200 lbs). I had some custom decals made by a company on the net. The are not original style, but look like they should have been. The one mistake I made applying them was to pace the side stickers to low on the down tube. With the frame lying on its side, they looked good. Once assembled, they look too low.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: