User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
pax maac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
No match found- ? about how my GPS works (or doesn't)

So I got a Nuvi 255, and twice now I have entered an address and when I enter the street name it tells me "no match found". So I pull out my paper maps and find the street, then find the street on the GPS and there it is, with the name exactly as I entered it. So I try again to enter the street name and enter it exactly as it appears on the GPS map, and it still tells me "no match found". I'm looking at the damn street, but it won't recognize it and tell me how to get there. WTF?
pax maac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,686
What maps are on it?
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp View Post
What maps are on it?
since it's a nuvi i'm guessing mexico NT maps are preloaded.

i've seen that before, no idea why?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
pax maac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah the map is North America NT 2011 I think, whatever it came with. The guy at the store I bought it said it had the US, Canada and Mexico. Since I live in Mexico I've only used the Mexico part so far.

I've already found a ton of errors on the map WRT street names, Garmin referred me to Navteq and I keep sending them corrections.

I was screwing around with it last night and found something weird, if I wanted to find directions to Calzada del Pacifico, a street that I needed to find yesterday, when I entered "Calzada del Pacifico" into the search it came back as "no match found", even though the street is on my GPS map and spelled right, BUT if I searched for "Pacifico" it would return results that include the Calzada del Pacifico. If I search for Calzada though, it doesn't show up. Seems like its a jacked up search. Bad programming or something. Doesn't make it any better, and doesn't exactly make me want to upgrade to a more costly Garmin product either.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Somewhat similar in the US. When prompted for a street name Garmin only wants the root name without modifiers. A simple example would be;

Looking for "South Oak Street"

The search entry should be "Oak"

Then a list with all the variations of Oak (South, East, Street, Place) will be displayed.

Not knowing Spanish I don't know if this is your problem or not. Also street level detail maps of Mexico are a fairly new offering from Garmin so I'm sure there are bugs to be worked out.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
pax maac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
Somewhat similar in the US. When prompted for a street name Garmin only wants the root name without modifiers. A simple example would be;

Looking for "South Oak Street"

The search entry should be "Oak"

Then a list with all the variations of Oak (South, East, Street, Place) will be displayed.

Not knowing Spanish I don't know if this is your problem or not. Also street level detail maps of Mexico are a fairly new offering from Garmin so I'm sure there are bugs to be worked out.

Bruce
That could be it. Makes finding streets harder than it needs to be in a place where street names aren't always clearly marked, or may be referred to by locals as a much different name than the "official" name.

Folks are more likely to refer to "Calzada del Pacifico" as "la Calzada" rather than "Pacifico", so being able to search calzada would help a ton more than pacifico.

Seems like the Garmin software leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by pax maac View Post
Garmin firmware is very very unimpressive in general and then you add that the firmware writer only thinks in his native language and customs adds a whole other layer of poor performance. Probably was never beta tested by a person who's first language was what is tested.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
pax maac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, I was just messing around with it again, and just realized that they have so many mistakes on this thing.

The Calzada del Pacifico is a street in Toluca, Estado de Mexico. But they have the city listed as "del Pacifico", and not Toluca. So luckily, I live here and searched the whole state for streets with Pacifico in the name, but when choosing the correct one, it should offer me Calzada del Pacifico in Toluca. Instead, it offers me Pacifico, in the city of "del Pacifico".

If I was traveling or visiting, I would never be able to find it correctly. I think even most Mexicans wouldn't be able to figure it out. What a mess. Are the expensive Zumo's the same way? Is it any better with other companies maps?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
garmin's support for mexico has always been VERY weak anyway.
most riders who come from the US use bicimaps over garmin's anyway.
you can load these maps on that unit with the sd card as long as you register it and do the 1 time free basemap update from garmin. in the options along the way you have the option to load mapsource and the basemaps on your computer. you need to not miss this. with mapsource you be able to see bicimaps and load them on the gps plus do routing from your computer and send it to the gps unit.
bicimaps autoroute.

bicimaps is a downloaded file only that works with mapsorce so you must do the register, update, computer option from garmin or you will not get them on your unit. they do offer a preloaded sd card option.

http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/MexicGPSAtlas.htm
http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/MexicGPSAtlasEn.htm

it is what it is, garmin mexico maps suck and it's not you, everyone has to pay up for better ones.

another option for more offroad/dirt riding is E32. the have reported better detail in remote areas than bicmaps, but they do not autoroute.

http://www.cartografiagps.com/
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532667

many have both loaded on sd card & switch between depending on what detail you need.
once again you'll need to download and install into mapsource and then transfer to gps.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 01-14-2011 at 10:14 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #10
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,705
Laugh

Quote:
Yeah, I was just messing around with it again, and just realized that they have so many mistakes on this thing.

The Calzada del Pacifico is a street in Toluca, Estado de Mexico. But they have the city listed as "del Pacifico", and not Toluca. So luckily, I live here and searched the whole state for streets with Pacifico in the name, but when choosing the correct one, it should offer me Calzada del Pacifico in Toluca. Instead, it offers me Pacifico, in the city of "del Pacifico".

If I was traveling or visiting, I would never be able to find it correctly. I think even most Mexicans wouldn't be able to figure it out. What a mess. Are the expensive Zumo's the same way? Is it any better with other companies maps?
My zumo 550 works great-most of the time! It takes only a few days of use to get to where your calling Karen a few choice names-It took us to the neatest Wally World in MS last fall(RV trailer spot for the night)-deserted & it hadn't been used for years, so even in the 48 it is obviously out of date at times(mine has the latest loaded up),so lots of luck... In Mexico( I've told this before) it seems to me ,from experience, they will get you lost. One son ask me(he has a NUVI) if I had anything to tell Karen after using the thing...
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
That could be it. Makes finding streets harder than it needs to be in a place where street names aren't always clearly marked, or may be referred to by locals as a much different name than the "official" name.

Folks are more likely to refer to "Calzada del Pacifico" as "la Calzada" rather than "Pacifico", so being able to search calzada would help a ton more than pacifico.

I was going to say that their maps could be out of date (new MY MBZ shows gas stations that haven't existed since Reagan was in office...). But since some variation of the name returns a result Id pester the fark out of them for what exactly their search heuristics are. That way when you act as their tech support you can better tell them "plain language search >> using beer names" (eg: if you search for say La Corona you get no result but Corona or Corona Mas Fina gives an actual street).

/sorry couldnt help myself playing off pacifico returning results when a specific street with pacifico wouldnt.
Emperor Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,386
Quote:

Mapsource gives seven entries for Calzada del Pacifico One of those is La Palma(Toluca)

As noted you must search Pacifico not Calzada
Old 01-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,008
+1 for finding a different mapset... the travels I've done south of the border with it were unimpressive considering the level of mapping in US/Canada.

It's better than the basemap, and once the waypoints are there the routing's good enough to get you there... but yeah, it leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,038
An old thread I know, but I thought I'd share my experience with Garmin.

I bought and loaded Bicimaps and several times it has simply stopped giving directions mid-route, even when I was on established roads. It also suffers from the same name input issues as the stock mapping (as it would since it doesn't replace the garmin firmware)

I really can't believe no one has hacked these units yet and improved the firmware. There must be millions of units out there.

I prefer to use my Nuvi 500 on the bike as it's easier to see, glove-friendly, and waterproof.

That said, I also fire up the Sygic offline navigator app on my phone and just listen to the voice directions over bluetooth. Google Maps recently turned on navigation in Mexico (I used a hacked version prior to that) and if I'm going to be riding where I'll have a data connection, that's my preferred system.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Chinese bike gps. I've been eyeing it for a while but wasn't sure I could cough download cough Mexican maps. I found them today so for $125 I think I'll give it a try. All the features of a Zumo for 1/4 the price. Long-term reviews are decent too.

I'll report back on how well it deals with Mexico.