User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
David_Moen OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,253
New Trucks - School me!

I have a trusty 2002 Silverado 1500HD that I'm thinking of replacing next month. There are some tax incentives where I live that won't exist after April 1. The Silverado has been trusty, but thirsty. I use it for doing IT related service calls, so it has to be able to cart around a truck load of computer crap occasionally, but it's "pickup" capabilities are largely used for standard yard work, hauling dirt-bikes and towing our 7000 pound holiday trailer around a few times a year.

In Canadian terms, my fuel mileage ranges from an average of 18 litres per 100km in the summer months to 22 in the winter. If I really baby it, on highway trips I have occasionally seen 16.5.

I have friends/associates that have Ford Ecoboost trucks that they tell me are averaging 13 litres/100 km. I have a customer that runs a fleet of Toyota Tundras, he says he is averaging about the same, with easy highway driving getting him about 12 litres/100km.

Although I do have the GM gene, GM's current new truck offerings are decidedly behind the technology curve, and their new stuff is not due out until after the tax situation that I can take advantage of goes away.

I'm not a fan of Chrysler stuff, although a recent weekend rental of a hemi powered 300C has go me conflicted in this regard.

Anyone buy a new truck lately? Your thoughts/opinions?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,105
I bought a '12 Silverado after my 2006 F150 fell apart at 65K miles. The 5.3 V8 chevy has 90 more horsepower than the 4.6L V8 F150 and is getting 2mpg better.

I have a contractor who has a fleet of F150s with the regular 6-cyl, ecoboost 6-cyl and 5.0L V8. He claims they all get the same mileage and everybody fights over the V8's.

So far the chevy is fine, no complaints but I'm only at 11K miles.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,666
Got rid of my 2004 GMC 2500HD crewcab, and got a new Toyota Tundra crewmax.....I absolutely love it.

It has way more power than the GMC did, it rides better, it tows better, and uses less fuel.

Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it...the GMC never did that.
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,322
We bought an eco boost 150 supercrew last summer.
I didn't consider GM due to price but we looked at Ram. The Ram
we test drove felt cheap and rode like a lumber wagon despite what the salesman promised.
For the same money, we got a nicer truck in the Ford(XTR) and because I'm not
hooked on having a v8, we got the eco boost. Tons of power when you want it but if I go lightly, I can average 11/100km from Red Deer to Jasper.
I haven't towed with it yet but I suspect it'll do fine.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: