User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,687
Calibrate new HDTV??

I posted this in an old HDTV thread, but wasn't sure it'd get much visibility there so I'll post it here...if this upsets someone, feel free to delete...

We refinished our downstairs to make it "teen friendly" so the living room LCD went down there. Naturally I took this as an opportunity to buy something bigger for upstairs.

I tried 3 TVs, a Vizio e500i-A1, LG something and a Samsung UN50ES6900 50". My old Vizio is awesome...the new one...not even good, really...I was very disappointed.

The LG was OK, but the "smart" functionality isn't really ready for prime time and I didn't like the chrome-ish trim.

I ended up keeping (for now) the Samsung 50", but I'm not in love with the colors, etc. Blues seem really hot sometimes and often highlights on blacks look blue-ish. I've tried using some of the calibration settings posted online, but they're really not great to my eye.

Is it worth trying to find a calibration disc, buying or borrowing a BluRay player (I don't own one) and calibrating it or should I just keep playing around with the settings as we watch different shows?

I found the free to download AVS calibration disc and would try that one if it's considered to be a good choice.

Anyone here have a disc they'd loan or sell? Do you have to use a BluRay player to calibrate?

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
tommyg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
If it is a newer tv chances are the calibration is on the internet somewhere, check cnet, hometheaterchack. I found at least 10 for my tv and they were all close and done by experts.
tommyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg View Post
If it is a newer tv chances are the calibration is on the internet somewhere, check cnet, hometheaterchack. I found at least 10 for my tv and they were all close and done by experts.
Ya, as I said I found one, but it looks really bad to me.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 02-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,769
You should try different calibration setting from the net. The calibration discs are ok, but i found that i wasnt happy with the results. If you had a plasma, i'd suggest a break in slideshow but since it is lcd, i think what you have is as good as it'll get.

If you want a better picture, go to plasma, but know that there are a few drawbacks like the shiny glass and it could burn in, although the new plasmas are pretty fool proof.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,939
Try looking up the TV on www.AVSforum.com.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Try looking up the TV on AVSforum.com.
Did that....keep finding the same calibration settings over and over again....maybe it's just not a popular set.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 02-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post
You should try different calibration setting from the net. The calibration discs are ok, but i found that i wasnt happy with the results. If you had a plasma, i'd suggest a break in slideshow but since it is lcd, i think what you have is as good as it'll get.

If you want a better picture, go to plasma, but know that there are a few drawbacks like the shiny glass and it could burn in, although the new plasmas are pretty fool proof.
Sorry OP, I can not help. It seems like you are doing all the right things, keep doing that and you will get the picture dialed in.

As for the plasma comment above... I have had my Panasonic plasma for 4.5 years now, and it still looks great. There is no burn-in anywhere on the screen. This is from playing video games, watching Blu-ray movies, and a ton of Netflix for the kids. Games, movies, kid shows. They all have static images that do not move. None have burned in.

That said, if you left it on CNN or ESPN all day every day, the scrolling bar at the bottom may burn in. However, why get a nice TV if those are the only channels you are going to watch?
Old 02-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Ya, it sounds like the newer Plasma sets don't suffer from the same issues as they did in the past. When I compared them to the LED stuff they just seemed "subdued" I guess if all you'll do is watch movies in a dark room they'd be better, but I'm drawn to the LED/LCD more. Could be the way they set them up in the stores, too.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 02-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
fierostetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Any DVD with a thx logo on it has the thx tv calibration set on it. Just run that - you don't need blue tinted glasses, but it helps. They're cheap on amazon. Worth the time, but have a helper or two, so it looks good to multiple people. Personally I know my eyes can't be trusted ;) so I need backup.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierostetz View Post
Any DVD with a thx logo on it has the thx tv calibration set on it. Just run that - you don't need blue tinted glasses, but it helps. They're cheap on amazon. Worth the time, but have a helper or two, so it looks good to multiple people. Personally I know my eyes can't be trusted ;) so I need backup.
According to what I've read this TV has a mode where you can shut off each color of the RGB spectrum so filters aren't needed to calibrate.

I downloaded the AVS 709 disk and will try it this weekend.

thanks

- Otto von Bismarck

<><

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: