User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
Datan556 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Pissed Stripped oil drain plug on KTM520

What now. Anybody got some ideas. I have a drill, socket set and some bits and bobs enough to take bike apart and back.

now frustrated and throwing tools around in backyard
Old 02-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datan556 View Post
What now. Anybody got some ideas. I have a drill, socket set and some bits and bobs enough to take bike apart and back.

now frustrated and throwing tools around in backyard
More info please. You've stripped the case threads? On the main drain plug (not one of the oil screens).

Or have you rounded the bolt head and can't get it out?

For the former: only options I'm aware of are to use an insert (timesert or helicoil) or to use one of the oversize self tapping drain bolts. An insert (is the better fix but) will probably require you pull the motor, if it's the same as the 525.

For the later: you can buy extraction kits which will grip the bolt head (heat area also) or you can get a new nut tack welded onto the rounded head and use that. If it's like the 525 the frame crossbar may limit space. I wouldn't personally try one of the screw extractor kits where you drill a hole as they tend to break off and then (being ultra hard) just make things worse.

This is one of the situations where it's best to stop, pause and consider options before proceeding in haste.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
I hit a rock with mine on my klr and it messed up the threads.

I put a timesert in using the oil plug kit to keep it straight.

I did it by pulling the battery out laying bike on its side and doing the repair.

New threads are fine even with the guide aluminum gasket (I'm assuming KTM has same set up) it would drip 10 or 20 drops a night.
I figured i didn't get insert straight enough and ran a feeler gauge around the gasket and one side had a small gap.

I tried plastic 1/2" Chevy drain plug gasket a little better but still drips.

then I got some hydraulic fitting seal washers with bonded rubber ring in them.

I might loose 1-2 drops a night it sure beats pulling the motor and having it welded up and re tapped and who knows if it will be straight and have the same issue??

I do carry a 14mm plug and and tap and easy out to remove insert for repair if I have a problem

A Dowty seal is a washer usually made of aluminum or copper and occasionally steel. Unlike an original crush washer, however, this product has a rubber lip on the inside diameter. A Dowty seal is essentially the same thing as a bonded washer, and is used in high pressure applications where other means of closing off are ineffective. Most types of Dowty seal and bonded washers are now available in a self-centralizing form, which eliminates the offset of the closure and makes installation that much easier.

tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
I hit a rock with mine on my klr and it messed up the threads.

I put a timesert in using the oil plug kit to keep it straight.

I did it by pulling the battery out laying bike on its side and doing the repair.
This is great but you don't have the same bike.

The RFS drain plug is the rear facing one in this picture. You can see it just before the frame starts bending upwards. There is a horizontal frame cross member behind it that makes life fun (better view 1 minute into this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KFE5dO34Sc)

Old 02-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
avgas
amateur

Oddometer: 81
If you're in over your head and you don't really know what you're doing, it might be worth taking it to a professional before you risk making it worse. Just something to consider.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
ULY-RPG
cool hands adv

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by avgas View Post
If you're in over your head and you don't really know what you're doing, it might be worth taking it to a professional before you risk making it worse. Just something to consider.
+1
I work for a dealer and see people try to fix their shit themselves. Bad idea if you don't have the skills. After you royally screw yourelf you'll be so mad, and then gladly fork over $$$ to have it fixed properly the first time.
ULY-RPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:45 AM   #7
Datan556 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Noted. It is indeeed the head that has been rounded and the n futher rounder by me.(TWAT)

I have been chipping away at it with a sharp flat head screw driver and still no budge. Had to relax and stand back and look at my options. It is the cross bar that makes want throw a match in the fuel tank and walk away cause there is no room to bloody work!

Gonna weld another head onto it tonight with a mate who had the same problem last week on his KTM530 and see what is the deal. Hopefully the threads are fine. Dont want to pull the engine. My resources are limited in this country (Muscat, Oman) and as well asking a proffesional, thats if you get hold of one, here is like pulling teeth. My Arabic is shit!!!

Patience is a virtue...if not does anybody want to buy it for a 5'er. Any offers will be accepted. Start your bids at 1 dollar!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,972
A most controversial approach toward addressing stripped oil drain plug threads is: OVERSIZE OIL DRAIN PLUG.

Might work; my assessment: "If it SEALS, it HEALS!" I've personally had "miracle cures" from this approach.

Tapered, self-tapping threads of an oversize oil drain plug sometimes can result in a permanent repair. If not, you're no worse off, other than maybe $ 3 or $ 4 for the oversize plug.

One of may "hits" from Googling, "oversize oil drain plug:"

http://www.cgenterprises.com/drain_p...ize_repair.htm
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,663
Since the head is rounded, can you cut a slot into it? Then with a long shanked slot headed screw driver turn it and hit it with a hammer to shock it loose. I would also consider using a propane torch to heat the aluminum case. Aluminum grows a lot when warmed and should help loosen things up.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,580
Drill the head of the bolt/cap off. Once the pressure of the head is removed the remaining thread part should be able to be unthreaded easily.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datan556 View Post
It is the cross bar that makes want throw a match in the fuel tank and walk away cause there is no room to bloody work! Gonna weld another head onto it tonight with a mate who had the same problem last week on his KTM530 and see what is the deal.
Yeah, the lack of room caused by the crossbar makes life hard. I think having someone competent tack weld a new nut on is your best bet. There isn't much room to move so make sure he's decent. Also don't forget to disconnect the negative battery terminal. The OEM magnetic drain plug is $10 here in the US (used on a ton of KTMs). You might want to consider drilling it for safety wire, this way you won't overtighten it (again, the location here sucks as obviously you can't use a torque wrench unless you use some form of torque adapter).

Good luck!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,249
A sharp small chisel works here...i`ve done this 100`s of time in the shop....put the chisel sharp end close to the case...just below the hex...then smack it with a hammer to spin the bolt.you want the chisel sharp end to enbed into the steel drain plug,,and then it`ll usually spin the plug out a little at a time.....laying the bike on it`s side sometimes gets you a better look and better access to get the chisel in...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #13
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 943
Could you take a dremel with a small cut-off wheel or grinder bit and re-cut the flats so a smaller socket will fit? Make sure you use a six point socket.

DYNOBOB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #14
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
had the same problem on a 520sx

Rounded the head and couldnt get that thing out no matter what I tried.

I did all the usual stuff, heat/soak/screwdriver/chisel all without success. Luckily I was able to take it to the local dealer and they had it out in a hurry. I never saw what they used to do it though. Might have been higher heat than I was willing to go...
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #15
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Just read this and am surprised it is the rear oil drain bolt that the head is rounded off. It's usually the allen headed screen bolt on the bottom of the motor that usually rounds out due to over tightening.

It might be better for you to remove the motor to get a better grip/access to the rear drain plug. That's a lot of work, so hopefully the welder can get good access to weld on the bolt.

If you order a new rear drain bolt, also get one of the replacement bolts for the under engine oil screen to eliminate the allen head.

I have never had a problem with the allen head, but I use the proper torque when tightening.

A torque wrench is a must when working on KTM's.

Good luck and don't give up!

Cheers