User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
roadrunner18 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
bmw brake pads or not?

what's the feelings about oem pads or aftermarket for a gs? any aftermarket pads you can recommend?
roadrunner18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
rider1150gsadv
€ Fl Keys Fishing Guide €

Oddometer: 5,911
Wink

I just received Carbon Loraine pads from www.beemerboneyard.com and feel that they are as good (if not better) as the much more expensive OEM pads. I paid $91,= for front and rear pads including shipping. The dealer wanted $ 84,= just for the rear pads... YMMV.
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
Grok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,562
I intend trying the Carbone Lorraine pads from Beemerboneyard.com next time I need them.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/brakepads3.html

A big part of the reason is I feel my local dealer is just a wee bit too proud of the stuff he sells.

Aftermarket pad characteristics and quality varies. I've had fitting problems with a set of EBC's in the past, but others have no trouble. I would give them a try again. Some other folks have used Ferodo and Galfer's too.

Try to find a thread on brake pad replacement and caliper servicing to save yourself a little grief. There may be something in the Hall of Wisdom.

NOTE:

I would caution against mixing brands or types front-to-back if the bike has brakes that are linked in any way, even partially. This would potentially screw up the proportioning of braking power if the brands/types had significantly different coefficients of friction.

I also would opt for the "normal" pads versus anything labeled as "agressive" or "HH" or "HHH". The more aggressive pads are unnecessary on a GS and tend to wear rotors faster.

Happy wrenching, and as always YMMV!
Old 06-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,050
I'm going to get the Beemboneyard's deal and get some oil filters while I'm at it.. Thanks for the link
Old 06-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,930
Don't forget Mike salls some great wave rotors for a lot less than factory regular rotors too!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,843
My Ignorance [Ongoing!]

Hey, I too am disinclined to pony up big bucks for BMW logo but will the "Carbone Lorraine sintered metal brake pads for BMW motorcycles. " pads cause excessive rotor wear? Sintered or metal OK?

Thanks..
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
Grok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Hey, I too am disinclined to pony up big bucks for BMW logo but will the "Carbone Lorraine sintered metal brake pads for BMW motorcycles. " pads cause excessive rotor wear? Sintered or metal OK?

Thanks..
In Carbone Lorraine terms you want the sport touring A3 style pads. You don't need their more aggressive "HH" pads on a GS.
Other vendors may use the word "sintered" to help describe their more aggressive pads. Carbone Lorraine seems to use sintered metal in all their formulations.
Ain't marketing wonderful?

There seems to have been an attempt at an industry classification system with all this "HH" and "HHH" stuff. But I haven't quite figured it out yet.

P.S. I just noticed the standard Carbone Lorraine pads seem to be color coded with a blue backing cardboard.

Grok screwed with this post 06-04-2008 at 05:21 PM
Grok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
native
You got to hold on

Oddometer: 1,813
Im using Galfer greens up front and blacks in the rear. Works great and the greens wont tear up your rotors, in fact it sort of polishes them.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." HST

"Soccer moms will be the death of us all."
native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #9
wrxtance
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa

Thanks..
I bought a full set of Carbone Lorraine pads for my '02 1150 a while back. I had only run the rears at first (fronts were still OK). Better bite than stock pads. I got about 7,000 miles out of them. They did seem to eat my rotor pretty good but I think the caliper may have been hanging up a bit too, so i can't give true facts there. I now have the Carbone Lorraine fronts in with Galfer blacks in the rear (on a new Galfer rear wave rotor). Fronts are good (don't feel much different than stock) and the rears feel as good the Carbone Lorraines did. From what I can tell, the Galfers are easier on the rotors. Got the Galfers from www.cyclebrakes.com and got good service FWIW.
wrxtance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #10
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by native
Im using Galfer greens up front and blacks in the rear. Works great and the greens wont tear up your rotors, in fact it sort of polishes them.
They recommended the same combination for me. Compared to the stock pads, I noticed a very slightly increased delay in the wet and better progression with more power in all conditions. Less squealing too although they can be persuaded to squeak occasionally.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:55 PM   #11
DaveT
Irv Seaver Parts

Oddometer: 417
Be careful. Non-BMW brake pads will burn holes in your caliper pistons.
DaveTownsend@IrvSeaverBMW.com
2005 R1200GS
2007 G650X-Challenge
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:37 AM   #12
Boston12GS
Banned

Oddometer: 3,886
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT
Be careful. Non-BMW brake pads will burn holes in your caliper pistons.
Boston12GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:14 AM   #13
roadrunner18 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
thanks for all the input. my local bmw dealer told me that most bmw riders only use bmw pads. i guess that's not the case! i have galfer wave rotors on mine and i think i will try the galfer green and blacks. thanks!
roadrunner18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:59 AM   #14
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner18
thanks for all the input. my local bmw dealer told me that most bmw riders only use bmw pads. i guess that's not the case! i have galfer wave rotors on mine and i think i will try the galfer green and blacks. thanks!
In my experience that is true, once! Then we realize how damn expensive they are and move on to something more reasonable.

I was flushing the brakes on an R1200ST last night and the guy handed me a set of rear pads to install, BMW pads from A&S for $84!

I got my last set of rear pads, same ones as the ST, for $29. EBC from a BMW dealer.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:15 AM   #15
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,547
'nother thumbs up for beemerboneyard's carbone lorrain pads.

Fit up just perfectly to my 1100gs front binders.

I'll buy my rears from them when I need them.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote