Oddometer: 113
You gotz that right!
donutrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #18
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
But you can sometimes ride in Feb.

May/June in Canmore/Banff have been great. Lived there for 10 years.

Just saying it can also suck and be cold and rainy/snowy at that time of year.
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #19
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutrider View Post
It just ain't right I tell ya!!!
You just have to be prepared to hunker down for a day or two till a weather system blows past. Crossing high mountain passes will be chilly even in summer.

I can assure you though, you won't have any tornadoes!
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #20
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
We did have one that blew threw once. Not an official tornado but one down from that category.
Did a bunch of minor damage.
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #21
donutrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Seems like there's been quite a few tornados blow by Calgary and Edmondton.. It looks like Oklahoma up through there ya know.. the twister just thought it was in Oklahoma..
Old 02-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #22
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
well...
you wont miss those sights...your eye lids will be frozen open.
be warm...install hand warmers...
have fun
1974 honda cb 550 (R.i.P. vanessa)
edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #23
donutrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This will be my 3rd visit to Alberta. My first was in July and the next was in December. Both visits were simply incredible. The summer visit from Calgary to Banff to LL and on to Jasper hooked me. The winter visit I was blessed to be caught up in a blizzard on the way to Jasper to ski and celebrate the new year. The only way I haven't experienced it is on motorcycle.. I'm overly excited prepping for this one. My main goal is to visit Alaska but if all I do is arrive in Jasper and had to turn around and head home I know I would be satisfied..

btw, I'm heated from head to toe in addition to heated seat and grips..

donutrider screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 08:07 PM
Old 02-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #24
Fishnbiker
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer: 346
Keeping warm in Canadian spring

Quote:
This will be my 3rd visit to Alberta....

btw, I'm heated from head to toe in addition to heated seat and grips....
You might think about electric inserts for your boots too. I built mine with flexible grip warmers used on ATV's. It's a flexible card with wires coming off that can be glued onto an inner sole or shoe orthotic, wired to an outlet with an inline switch, much like a vest. Splice connectors join the boot to wires running inside my thermal pants, up to my waist & off to the bike outlet. Most of the card is under my toes & ball of foot. OOOH, deluxe on a fresh day.

Same set up on my ski boots run to batteries in a fanny pack.

Wired in parallel can make them too hot, so I wired them in series (6v each boot instead of 12v) to reduce the heat to something that can stay on for hours if needed. An adjustable switch (low/medium/high) would be better.

Will post a few pix on my Smugmug tomorrow. Update ... got a few pix of my foot-warmer set up at http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com/Motorc...0141&k=s6DqXrk
My Photos at: http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com

Fishnbiker screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 05:40 PM
Fishnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #25
Fatallybitten
Slow but Sure

Oddometer: 316
The better question is

what will the weather and road conditions be in the Yukon and Alaska at the end of May, assuming you carry on up the Alaska Highway from Dawson Creek through northern BC, pass through Watson Lake, Whitehorse and then into Alaska. Alberta and BC can be all over the map for weather in May as others have pointed out. Once you get north of 60 it is a whole other ballgame. Check some of the other regional forums and you will see that it is at best a 50/50 bet you will be able to get all the way to Alaska in May without the help of a dog sled. Is there a reason you aren't waiting until June/July to make this trip? Having asked the question, I really don't need an answer. The trip will without doubt be memorable regardless of the conditions. Safe travels and good luck!
Fatallybitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #26
Fishnbiker
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatallybitten View Post
what will the weather and road conditions be in the Yukon and Alaska at the end of May, assuming you carry on up the Alaska Highway from Dawson Creek through northern BC, pass through Watson Lake, Whitehorse and then into Alaska. .... The trip will without doubt be memorable regardless of the conditions. Safe travels and good luck!
Local northern weather & annual history can be found on the Weather Network http://www.theweathernetwork.com/sta...0LRP/cayt0005/

Road conditions are at http://www.511yukon.ca

The average for May is -2 to +14C, about 28 to 58F. Bear in mind those are the normal extremes, not necessarily all the time. You can still expect ice on the lakes & maybe late wet snowfalls. Flooding on creeks & small rivers may cause closure issues at times. I was caught in such a condition 3.5 years ago trying to get from Dawson to Fairbanks in JULY!. The road was washed out & impassible for over a month. Not trying to scare you off, just warning of possibilities.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #27
donutrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatallybitten View Post
what will the weather and road conditions be in the Yukon and Alaska at the end of May, assuming you carry on up the Alaska Highway from Dawson Creek through northern BC, pass through Watson Lake, Whitehorse and then into Alaska. Alberta and BC can be all over the map for weather in May as others have pointed out. Once you get north of 60 it is a whole other ballgame. Check some of the other regional forums and you will see that it is at best a 50/50 bet you will be able to get all the way to Alaska in May without the help of a dog sled. Is there a reason you aren't waiting until June/July to make this trip? Having asked the question, I really don't need an answer. The trip will without doubt be memorable regardless of the conditions. Safe travels and good luck!
My goal is to arrive at the border around Glacier Nat'l Park sometime during the week of May 21st.. I"m thinking it will be May 23rd or 24th when I get to the border. I will prob spend a day and night at Banff visiting with friends before I head on up to LL and Jasper.. Honestly, I haven't mapped out the rest of my trip from Jasper until I have a better feel for weather possibilities. I just need to take a pic with a "welcome to alaska" sign.. so there's many options in order to obtain that goal. The need to reach Fairbanks isn't that great. My bike is new and I really don't want to make it home with too much damage if any so I'll be staying on the good roads. I had considered going from Jasper back down to Vancouver and taking a ferry to Haines or something, just not sure.. input is welcome
There were many in between but these carried the memories
Old 03-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #28
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,224
Quote:
I just need to take a pic with a "welcome to alaska" sign.. so there's many options in order to obtain that goal.
Hyder Alaska is right next to Stewart BC.
Some consider that a cheat but it is Alaska.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:39 AM   #29
donutrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Hyder Alaska is right next to Stewart BC.
Some consider that a cheat but it is Alaska.
lol, I think I would at least need to run down to Juneau to make the cheating less obvious.. at least I could say I made it to the capital of Alaska..
There were many in between but these carried the memories
Old 03-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #30
Fishnbiker
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Quote:
lol, I think I would at least need to run down to Juneau to make the cheating less obvious.. at least I could say I made it to the capital of Alaska..
Seems to me you might want to sit down with some good maps first. I can't find any driving connection to Juneau other than the Alaska State Ferries route

Here are some more helpful sites ...

www.bcferries.com

http://www.dot.state.ak.us

http://www.drivebc.ca

Another point you might consider ... have you any idea of the distances up here? It's 3 days of long riding from Vancouver just to get to the Prince Rupert ferry terminal for AKS ferries. That's only half way to the Alaska border if coming along the western route. The eastern route from Jasper through Dawson Creek may shave 2 days off that.

BC Ferries leaves from the north end of Vancouver Island (Port Hardy) on a 15 hour sail to get there. AKS ferries has a terminal in Bellingham WA that takes over 60 hours to get to Juneau. You could likely make a stop in Juneau for a day then go on to Haines or Skagway, but the ferry arrives at 04:15. Guess what time you would have to be there to get on the next day.

Just a "HEADS UP", I'm not trying to scare you off, but you really do need to make some timing considerations. A friend of mine did Seattle to Deadhorse / return in 11 days (seems to me it was an average of 400 miles/day on gravel & more likely mud in May / June), but it allowed NO time to stop & smell the roses, never minding the temperatures or weather effects you would encounter.

How long do you have set aside?

What are you riding? A few places on the Alaska Highway may never be paved, due to continuing Thermafrost damage.

Fishnbiker screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 03:49 PM