Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #31
donutrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I'll be on a '13 Bmw K16gt and I should have all the time I need.. at least 30 days. Believe me, I will be taking the route of least resistance.

Chances are that I will end up getting bogged down in Banff. I have a couple different families in the area and I can see spending several days there or up in Jasper. At that point I probably won't care to go all the way to Fairbanks but if the weather is clear and road conditions are favorable I will point and shoot in that directions otherwise I'll head for Haines to get my step into Alaska. I want to ride as much of the great roads in BC on the way back as I head back towards Washington.

I plan on arriving at the Montana/Alberta border sometime during my 3rd day.

You Canadians are great, you realize how out of touch some of us lower Americans can be with your conditions up there..

I'm overly excited about riding the Icefields Parkway .. it's been a long time since I was there almost 20 years..
There were many in between but these carried the memories
donutrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #32
Fishnbiker
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutrider View Post
I'll be on a '13 Bmw K16gt and I should have all the time I need.. at least 30 days. Believe me, I will be taking the route of least resistance.
...... I want to ride as much of the great roads in BC on the way back as I head back towards Washington.

You Canadians are great, you realize how out of touch some of us lower Americans can be with your conditions up there..

I'm overly excited about riding the Icefields Parkway .. it's been a long time since I was there almost 20 years..
Thanks for the "thumbs up" to Canadians. Many of us have varied opinions on Americans, so it's refreshing to find one that can appreciate the neighbours (with a U)

I expect to be most of May in SanFrancisco area, but if you decide to return by ferry later than May30, I'm half way down Vancouver Island on the BC Ferries option. I love to play tour guide for visitors
My Photos at: http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com
Fishnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #33
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 971
Just be aware as well that both Banff and Jasper are very expensive resort towns. Accommodations and food are particularly pricey. I spent a couple of days in Jasper back in August and, while really quite nice, it was horribly expensive. I won't go back and spend the night there ever again.

Other than that....have a great time :)
Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #34
Borogove
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Highwood pass

Just a comment for your route plan ---The Highwood pass is not usually open until June 15 ---

Kananaskis Country
Highwood Pass , Highway 40 from Kananaskis Lakes southwards, is closed to vehicles from December 1st to June 15th. Cycling is permitted, however. It’s a favourite cycling route in late May and the first half of June, when cyclists have the road to themselves.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #35
Spaggy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
I've driven through may snow storms in Alberta with a Peterbilt and pounded through drifts as high as my hood. I've gone camping on the May long weekend and came home with a bad sunburn. It's a crap shoot.
Spaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #36
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
The hostel in Lake Louise is very cheap and has really really good food. Nice place to stay but you must book early.

Canmore is cheaper than Banff and just outside the park. Cheaper is a relative term however. Probably better food in Canmore.

Just a heads up for weather. The thaw is coming. The roads four hours north of Edmonton are starting to thaw. Breakup is coming. Even had to close my windows today due to the dust on the rig roads! Gonna be a mud slippery season soon enough.
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #37
9.5isCanadian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
I will be passing through Alberta and upper BC the second week of May on my way to Alaska and was wondering what to expect weather-wise.. Cold and Rain?? banff, Lake Louise and Jasper are non negotiable stops..

Thanks!
Expect snow. For sure!
I live here and last weekend there was 8 inches of snow between revel stoke and golden.
North to jasper, expect the same.

"The secret is, that it's okay that it hurts."
9.5isCanadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #38
donutrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It's riding season here in OKlahoma.. what's going on up north???
Old 03-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #39
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,528
We've got about 6" of snow in the last couple days. Went out riding on the river last weekend. Really fun stuff.

If you need a place to crash while you're up here, give us a ring.

J
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #40
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,711
Huge variance in weather across this chunk of land. Today in Vancouver suburbs, 55F sunny, quite ok.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #41
donutrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I think by the time May gets here it's gonna be heavenly up there..
Old 03-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #42
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I think by the time May gets here it's gonna be heavenly up there..

Yeah,,,,,,,heated grips standard on that big K bike?? Turn 'em on high my friend. And get a heated vest, and a hook up that does not use the Canbus factory outlet,,,,,not enough voltage to warn up the vest.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #43
donutrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Yeah,,,,,,,heated grips standard on that big K bike?? Turn 'em on high my friend. And get a heated vest, and a hook up that does not use the Canbus factory outlet,,,,,not enough voltage to warn up the vest.
Oh yeah, gots heated grips/seat and heated clothing wired directly to battery.. heated boot insoles, pants, jacket and gloves..

Is highway 99 out of Whistler north all that I hear it is??
Old 03-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #44
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,810
[QUOTE=donutrider;20913453
Is highway 99 out of Whistler north all that I hear it is??[/QUOTE]

Yup, depending on the condition of pavement. I took some friends from the US through the Duffy on a, ahem, spirited ride to Lillooet and back. One of the guys pulled in at Pemberton with a big ole shit eating grin and declared "THAT....was an E ticket ride!"

It's a challenging road, great views, a few decreasing radius hairpins, high elevation changes, and a wooden bridge or two. Don't miss it.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #45
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Oh yeah, gots heated grips/seat and heated clothing wired directly to battery.. heated boot insoles, pants, jacket and gloves..

Is highway 99 out of Whistler north all that I hear it is??

It is still pretty good, although the stretch from West Vancouver [Horseshoe Bay] to Whistler was fixed up quite nicely for the 2010 winter Olympics. Problem is, they turned a challenging mountain road into a lovely flowing double highway, then the dropped the friggin' speed limit from 90km/hr [56mph] down to 80km/hr [51mph] and loaded it up with speed tax collectors. Most frustrating, riding my RC30 in 3rd gear all the way to whistler out of fear of getting nailed, going so slow the bike can't cool down.
whistler north they've done some repaving, but it's still tricky, with gravel, some wildlife, but majestic scenery.