Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 12:59 AM   #46
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutrider View Post

Is highway 99 out of Whistler north all that I hear it is??
And more! Was better back in the day(70's), all gravel and no traffic Still, one of the better short runs.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #47
Labrador Louis
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Heated gear

Don't put your faith in those electric contraptions. The Lord doesn't like a coward. Learn to dress in layers like the Michelin Man, and you can ride when the techno geeks are grounded because of the perversity of inanimate materials.

get a pair of boots that are one size to big for you and buy yourself a thick pair of wool socks. figure out how to stop the wind blowing up your kilt, wear a balaclava, and invest in a pair of Hippo Hands.

Mark's Work Wearhouse is a good place to find good layering stuff up here. They cater to rig-pigs who need to keep warm while they stand around and do nothing. Sound familiar?

The only time you have to panic up here is when there is ice on the road, and /or you can't see. Then it's bad. Cold is a minor inconvenience. dress for it.

Ride Cowboy!
Labrador Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #48
Fishnbiker
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy View Post
Yup, depending on the condition of pavement. I took some friends from the US through the Duffy on a, ahem, spirited ride to Lillooet and back. One of the guys pulled in at Pemberton with a big ole shit eating grin and declared "THAT....was an E ticket ride!" It's a challenging road, great views, a few decreasing radius hairpins, high elevation changes, and a wooden bridge or two. Don't miss it.
The best way I have found to check out a ride is with Google Earth. For this Hwy 99 stretch, you can search "Lillooet" then follow the road southwest at an altitude of about 8km ~ 5 miles. It's labelled Duffy Lake Road. Hwy 99 east of Lillooet to Cache Creek is one of the most picturesque pieces of pavement in Southwest BC. Keep your camera handy!

Dina's is a great Greek restaurant in Lillooet (one street town) & numerous boutique cafes in Pemberton to fuel the belly before challenging yerself on this twisty.
My Photos at: http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com

Fishnbiker screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 04:15 PM
Fishnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #49
donutrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Ok, let's change course for a moment then we'll resume to scheduled programming..

When I ride down here in the Ol' U.S. of A. I carry my pistol. Is there any condition that allows me to bring it into Canada with me?? Disassembled and locked in it's case?
There were many in between but these carried the memories
donutrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #50
donutrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Harsh language and bear spray will work for me..
Old 03-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #51
donutrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, back to scheduled programming..

Crossing the border at Chief Mountain or Roosville??
Old 03-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #52
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 832
Quote:

Chief mountainis not 24 hour, but as long as you are driving daytime that should not be a problem. Nice road on both sides of the crossing.

Lycan1 screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 09:03 AM
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #53
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,637
Rooseville is going to be warmer. The best part of Chief mountain is the proximity to going to the sun which wont be open yet. Waterton park is a great place to spend a few days though. All the wonders of Jasper and Banff without the crowds.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #54
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,739
Quote:
When I ride down here in the Ol' U.S. of A. I carry my pistol. Is there any condition that allows me to bring it into Canada with me?? Disassembled and locked in it's case?
Yes, there are, in theory, but practically, probably not possible to jump through all the hoops to do so for a restricted weapon (i.e. handgun). And no guarantees the guy at the border will allow it when you show up. You need a good reason why you will have a restricted weapon in your possession (i.e. travel to Alaska, professional target shooter on the way to a competition, etc.).

I'd make some inquiries as to gun shops near the border crossing that you'll be using as to if you can store it there while you travel, and pick it up on your return. Some guys even make arrangements to ship it from their border crossing point to a gun store at their re-entry point to the US.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:12 AM   #55
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
I think by the time May gets here it's gonna be heavenly up there..
Gotta say, man, you're incredibly optimistic. I've lived in Calgary for many years. This area has the weirdest weather, completely unpredictable and apt to go from one extreme to the other in the space of a couple of hours. It can snow anytime, even in July and August — freak storms, but no less unpleasant. Normally, they're just prairie thunderstorms, usually accompanied by strong winds and very heavy rain, short but intense. Be prepared. Good gear is essential — wind and waterproof, with microfleece layers for warmth. Good gloves are essential, two pair, and waterproof footwear.

The weather in May is a total crapshoot. Expect it to be cold and wet and snowy. Bring appropriate gear. If it does snow, the road surface will probably stay clear and wet, or will be soon. It doesn't get that cold by that late in the spring. We start to play baseball here in May.

Quote:

I like the ride up from East Glacier through Chief Mountain, over Looking Glass Road and on to Waterton and Pincher Creek, then north along AB22 to Calgary. Weather along that highway is particularly fickle and extreme. If you are not heading through Calgary, go through Millarville and AB762 to Bragg Creek and then north to either the Trans-Canada or Cochrane. The road from Cochrane to Banff is choice, too, much nicer than the stuporslab.

From Banff, use the Parkway to get to Lake Louise and join the main highway to Jasper. There are no services. Get a jerry can in Canmore and Buy gas in Lake Louise. The only gas bar is at Sask River Crossing, where gas is $3 a liter for gas, like $15 per gallon and chocolate bars are $5. Anyway, the road to Jasper is very nice, scenic and probably chilly.

From Jasper, you can either go into BC and up through Prince George or go east to Hinton and up to Grande Cache and Dawson Creek on your way to the Yukon. Either way, there are long, empty spaces with no human habitation. Plan your fuel carefully. BC is more expensive than Alberta.

There are two major hazards I would mention — animals, both two-legged and four-legged. The drivers here are terrible. They drive too fast with no care or skill or manners. They don't look for motorcycles.

Deer are abundant all through these parts, from Montana to Alaska. I don't know, I guess there are deer in Oklahoma, but there are lots of them here. They are stupid, unpredictable, and can spoil your day.

Anyway, carry on. That's an ambitious ride you have planned. Good luck, and ride safe.
Scott Fraser
Calgary

Scott_F screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 10:39 AM
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #56
donutrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

What many of you are describing is Colorado in March..
Old 03-15-2013, 02:44 AM   #57
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
What many of you are describing is Colorado in March..
It is what it is. Colorado is 1000 miles south, but still situated in the shadow of the mountains so it wouldn't surprise me to see flaky weather there. It sure as hell ain't Oklahoma...

Cgeers
Scott Fraser
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #58
Fatallybitten
Slow but Sure

Oddometer: 310
What to prepare for....

This is near the top of the pass on Hwy 532 southwest of Calgary. It was an easy ride all the way over the summit down to the junction with the Forestry Trunk Road, which was still closed for the season north and south of the junction. The date was March 20, 2012.

This is at the Waiprous scenic overlook on the Forestry Trunk Road north of Cochrane. After this the road became slick and I turned off to head back to the pavement. The date was May 1, 2011.

You get the idea. Just be prepared to change your route or take a break if you run into difficult conditions.

Cheers, David
Fatallybitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #59
donutrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Are you all thawing out up there??
Old 04-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #60
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Are you all thawing out up there??
Well, not today, at -4* C and freezing rain and snow to the west. Last weekend I rode every day in warmth and sunshine. It just goes to illustrate spring in Alberta, and the volatile nature of it's weather.