Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #16
Avi8tor
ADV Poser

Oddometer: 222
I freakin' loved this bike. Best bike I've had to date. After a 4,000 mile trip out west this past summer, my right arm was numb for a month. I tried many things before the trip to quell the bar vibes, but was not able to eliminate them, only reduce them. The frequency they vibrated on the highway did not agree with me and sadly, I decided to sell it.

Avi8tor screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 12:43 PM Reason: Decided to elaborate more
Avi8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #17
Linhares
OSM addicted

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
...I bought my 2004 DL650 V-Strom "Wee-Strom" used, with only 1,700 miles on her, for only $4,200 from a friend of a friend.

I now have 30,000 miles on her.
(...)

The Wee NEVER breaks down. EVER.

(...)

If you just want to ride, all day, everywhere, and never stop for anything, get a Wee.

They just keep going and going and going and going.......

I feel like going outside to raise a Suzuki flag and salute to it!

Abraços,
Linhares
Old 02-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #18
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linhares View Post

I feel like going outside to raise a Suzuki flag and salute to it!

Abraços,
Linhares

please be sure to add our atars and stripes to it.
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #19
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,751
Quote:
...I bought my 2004 DL650 V-Strom "Wee-Strom" used, with only 1,700 miles on her, for only $4,200 from a friend of a friend.

I installed an Elka shock and .90 Sonic springs with Ricor valving in the forks.

I also installed Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires and changed the gearing with a 16 tooth front sprocket.

I'm a "Road Warrior", my Wee never really sees any dirt (Save the barbs about THAT for another topic) and she just RAILS now.

FWIW, I own an RC51 and a Ducati Monster, so I know what sport bike handling is like. This Wee with the above mods is amazing!

What people who don't own a Wee don't seem to "get", is that the Wee is in a class by itself.

Let me 'splain, Lucy.....

While on paper, the Wee is bunched together with the Versys and other "Adventure Tourers", TDMs, S10s, Togers, et al, that's missing some key differentiators of the Wee from the rest of the pack.

The Wee has OVER 200 mile tank range.

The Wee can handle like a sport bike when set-up right.

The Wee's twin headlights light up a moonless, rural highway like nothing else short of the new BMW K1600GT with optional tilting lighthouse.

The Wee can be fitted with a Barn Door of a windshield for wind and weather protection.

The Wee has a SUPER comfy riding position that fits everybody and can easily be modified to fit YOU.

The Wee has as much aftermarket support as a Harley.

The Wee can get 60 MPG.

The Wee's chain and sprockets last forever.

The Wee's operating costs are super duper low.

The Wee uses the same size tires as other "Adventure" bikes and therefore the tire choices are Top Shelf.

The Wee cab be bought used for $4,000.

The Wee can accept every type of luggage, hard or soft, on the planet.

The Wee has a huge payload rating. This is key. You can load the Wee like a pack mule, with huge cargo racks and tons of real estate to take everything and the kitchen sink if you desire.

The Wee has a huge plastic nose that is ripe for custom stickers and paint jobs.

The Wee has unlimited space to mount GPS, radar detectors, heated grip controllers, electronic chain oiler controlers, Go Pro cameras, etc.

The Wee can mount highway pegs and crash bars and you can look like Ewan and Charley.

The Wee can cruise all day on the Interstate at 90 mph and then you can turn down that gravel road you always wondered about and skinny dip with your girl friend at that secluded waterfall.

The Wee can be had with ABS, but without being burdened by other, possibly more failure prone and finicky customizable electronic riding aids.

You can buy a used Wee for $4,000 like I did, and then you can drop $6,000 worth of mods on her, and you have a bike that smokes any other $10,000 bike on the planet.

Even if you leave her stock, that $4,000 used Wee will bring more smiles per mile than anything else for your money...and this is key...with ZERO HEADACHES over the life of ownership.

If you just want to ride, all day, everywhere, and never stop for anything, get a Wee.

V-Strom@TexasBorder by Shooter158, on Flickr
This is what I'm talking about. I would love to get another bike but the wee trumps everything for all practical purposes.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #20
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
yep. pretty much nails strom ownership.

sure it has shortcomings but you can address those.
yes the looks are polarizing, but what adv bike is not?

Quote:

I installed an Elka shock and .90 Sonic springs with Ricor valving in the forks.

I also installed Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires and changed the gearing with a 16 tooth front sprocket.

I'm a "Road Warrior", my Wee never really sees any dirt (Save the barbs about THAT for another topic) and she just RAILS now.

FWIW, I own an RC51 and a Ducati Monster, so I know what sport bike handling is like. This Wee with the above mods is amazing!

What people who don't own a Wee don't seem to "get", is that the Wee is in a class by itself.

While on paper, the Wee is bunched together with the Versys and other "Adventure Tourers", TDMs, S10s, Togers, et al, that's missing some key differentiators of the Wee from the rest of the pack.

The Wee's twin headlights light up a moonless, rural highway like nothing else short of the new BMW K1600GT with optional tilting lighthouse.

The Wee can be fitted with a Barn Door of a windshield for wind and weather protection.

The Wee has a SUPER comfy riding position that fits everybody and can easily be modified to fit YOU.

The Wee can get 60 MPG.

The Wee uses the same size tires as other "Adventure" bikes and therefore the tire choices are Top Shelf.

The Wee has a huge payload rating. This is key. You can load the Wee like a pack mule, with huge cargo racks and tons of real estate to take everything and the kitchen sink if you desire.

The Wee has a huge plastic nose that is ripe for custom stickers and paint jobs.

The Wee has unlimited space to mount GPS, radar detectors, heated grip controllers, electronic chain oiler controlers, Go Pro cameras, etc.

The Wee can mount highway pegs and crash bars and you can look like Ewan and Charley.

The Wee can cruise all day on the Interstate at 90 mph and then you can turn down that gravel road you always wondered about and skinny dip with your girl friend at that secluded waterfall.

The Wee can be had with ABS, but without being burdened by other, possibly more failure prone and finicky customizable electronic riding aids.

You can buy a used Wee for $4,000 like I did, and then you can drop $6,000 worth of mods on her, and you have a bike that smokes any other $10,000 bike on the planet.

Even if you leave her stock, that $4,000 used Wee will bring more smiles per mile than anything else for your money...and this is key...with ZERO HEADACHES over the life of ownership.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #21
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
I had enough of all of you Wee owners ranting and raving all over the place, so, I went out and bought one (a nice new Black 650 Adventure). Now, I hope that all of you guys were not kidding...
Old 02-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #22
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
I had enough of all of you Wee owners ranting and raving all over the place, so, I went out and bought one (a nice new Black 650 Adventure). Now, I hope that all of you guys were not kidding...
pitchers pleaze or it didn't happen

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #23
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Geez! Do you guys know just how much it sounds like yer part of a cult? I've never known any group of bike owners who drank the Kool-Aid to this extent....

When I retired, I bought an FJR thinking I was gonna do some serious touring. Put 8000 miles on it the first summer I owned it....and then, I bought the damn Wee. When I first looked at 'em, I thought they were ugliest thing I'd ever layed eyes on. They even LOOKED slow! But since then, I haven't put 500 miles on the FJR and it's currently for sale on this forum (Hint, hint!)

I bought my orange '09 (Isn't that really 'burnt umber'?) used with about 9000 miles on the odo, and in the last year I've put on another 12,000 miles, and I haven't even done any long tours. I typically rail the back road twisties on Shinko 705s and can scrape the pegs hard enough that I have to turn up the shock pre-load for more clearance!

Listening to the other guys I ride with who also owned Wees, I figgered they were blowing smoke...until I had to REALLY push hard on my CBR1K to keep up. BTW, I sold that, too....

Quote:
Plus 10 on this! Never had a bike with OEM lighting that came close to the Wee!!!
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #24
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
It depends, I've spent months testing more expensive bikes and felt that none really filled the DL650's shoes as an all rounder for someone without a car.

That isn't the most common use for a bike, though.
That's a solid conviction in your bike that is hard to argue against. I hope I get to felling that way about the bike I buy next.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #25
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 892
The secret to happiness...

...is wanting what you have, not having what you want.

I am so perfectly happy with my RC51, Monster, and DL650 V-Strom, that I have NO desire to replace them with another bike.

And if I could only keep one, it would be the Wee.

And my RC51 is a Nicky Hayden edition that not only has the factory Hayden signature on the tank, but also has a solo seat cowl that I took with me to Colin Edward's boot camp and got him to autograph it. So I have Colin's real sig on the bike.

I'd still let that go before the Wee.

Apologies to Colin.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #26
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,194
Quote:

+2. In fact the whole wee was designed just as an aid to get people running around showing off those headlights.

It's good to see function win out over fashion on occasions. This is a really good example of it.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #27
Darkjedip
Designated Thread Killer

Oddometer: 81
I've been riding the DLxxx platform for the better part of 7 years.

Have had both the 1k ad the Wee. It is truly the "Toyota Pickup" of motorcycling. Honest, dependable (if not slightly boring) engineering. I mean boring as a complement.

Every time my eye wanders, it seems like to get close to what the wee offers, it would cost me more than double of what i could sell it for.

Would I like a bit more umph? Sure. Would traction control and a electric windshield be nice? Yes, but that costs about 15k and the Wee has been paid for since the day I took it home.

30k miles (two vstroms) and the only things that I have done for maintenance is change oil, coolant and tires. (Though valves will come up this year.

What else is there to say? "Oh Vstrom, I wish I could quit you"? Not really. I've been on many tours with much bigger and faster bikes, but that 65 hp Wee will keep pace with everyone in the twistys and in legal freeway situations too.

The Wee is the perfect bike for me at this point in my life. I really don't have time to waste, so I'd rather spend it riding!

Aspiring Moto-journalist needs feedback:
http://nowheelieshere.blogspot.com/
Darkjedip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #28
Dirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:

The Wee can get 60 MPG.

I agree the Strom is a great bike. I've found out from other's I've spoken to, the Strom is a great bike to own.

And, I agree with you, about the headlight on the Strom, it put's out some light. But, I wish the V-Strom came with an accessory harness, not to mention, I would like to be able to turn the ABS, ON or OFF.
Dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:08 AM   #29
Darkjedip
Designated Thread Killer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker View Post
I wish the V-Strom came with an accessory harness, not to mention, I would like to be able to turn the ABS, ON or OFF.
The aftermarket has solutions for this...

Aspiring Moto-journalist needs feedback:
http://nowheelieshere.blogspot.com/
Darkjedip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:39 AM   #30
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,754
Quote:
I have Colin's real sig on the bike.

I'd still let that go before the Wee.

Apologies to Colin.